Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military medal puzzle

Droocoo

Could someone please look up William McKay 54029 Gunner/ lance bombardier military medal citation in the Manchester local paper archives? It may or may not be there. :D

Cheers ;)

That is a tall order, for someone to look through months/years of film! Can you narrow down the period? When was the MM gazetted? Did he survive the war? Some margins would be useful.

Daggers

London Gazette 12 July 1918

See the London Gazette Here

post-13002-1215504840.jpg

Thanks for the research so far. I am sorry, I thought that I put his details. Well, he was gazetted as you now know, on the 12th of July. He was born in Manchester, however I do not know when. He was not injured during the war, as Ancestry has no record of him in their pensions. Possibly look up 1901 census?

CHEERS!!! :D:lol::D

He was not injured during the war, as Ancestry has no record of him in their pensions.

That doesn't follow at all, I'm afraid. The records known as the "pension records" are a small sample of assorted papers that happened to be in use at the Pensions Ministry when the rest of the service papers were bombed. They are nowhere near a complete set of war pension records. Not all injuries would have qualified a man for pension, anyway.

So is it impossible to find a citation now? Is it possible for someone to search his local archives?

There is no guarantee that the local press or any other archive has any record of Citation/Recommendation,it is unfortunately a very hit & miss affair,often relying on the Serviceman or his next of Kin giving details to the local press & also dependant on the keenness of the journalists in the Paper,even if mentioned it may only state,as they often do from such sources "that Pte So & so has been awarded the Military Medal for his bravery in recent actions"

Of a number of WW1 MMs in my Collection I have but three that have anything like "real" citations,from local papers{1;a War Diary entry ~but that was amongst the first ever awarded},a couple that have "general" good works type press releases & the rest are anonymous in the acts of gallantry awarded for...

Sadly very very few circumstances of award were ever recorded,but you can rest assured that it was for something "out of the ordinary"