Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with uniform - Colonel South Wales Borderers

biffrocks

WW1Uniform.jpg

ww1uniformlabel2.jpg

WW1UniformRank.jpg

I am trying to identify the regiment and find some details on the owner who's name is on the label. Lt Colonel Baker, I think. I know date on label is 1913 but guess he would have been serving in 1914. Any help much appreciated.

Hi, from the distinctive rank stars and buttons, this is the South Wales Borderers...

Peter

WW1UniformRank.jpg

I am trying to identify the regiment and find some details on the owner who's name is on the label. Lt Colonel Baker, I think. I know date on label is 1913 but guess he would have been serving in 1914. Any help much appreciated.

Officers' 'Blue Patrols' tunic fitted with 'Eversleigh' pattern rank stars ('pips') worn (along with the 57th/77th Middesex Regt) by the 24th South Wales Borderers from 1896 (unofficially) and approved in 1956. The two successor regiments, PWRR and Royal Welsh respectively, have carried this tradition on.

Does anyone have any info on Lieut Colonel Baker South Wales Borderers, I assume there must be a record of his service somewhere. Any help much appreciated.

I've checked both the NA & Ancestry for "Baker", "South Wales Borderers" & "Colonel" (as well as Major & SWB) but nothing comes up as a possibility. There's only one officer named Baker on the Ancestry site - a Capt. C A Baker who was MID.

Another suggestion for a place to look - the officers lists. I know a few Pals on the forum have them or access to them, maybe they could do a look up?!?!

Les

There's only one officer named Baker on the Ancestry site - a Capt. C A Baker who was MID.

Another suggestion for a place to look - the officers lists.

Army List Aug 1914 has a 2/Lt C A Baker in 1st Bn SWB, commissioned 17.9.13. It certainly looks like the same man. He may have become a colonel in later life but his original uniform still fitted him.

Ron

Army List Aug 1914 has a 2/Lt C A Baker in 1st Bn SWB, commissioned 17.9.13. It certainly looks like the same man. He may have become a colonel in later life but his original uniform still fitted him.

Ron

Thanks for that Ron

Good point Ron.... I didn't consider that. To go from Capt to Colonel (even Temporary Col.) in a few years is very possible especially given the 2 days difference in dates!!

Les

Can anyone help me with checking 2/Lt Bakers WW1 service or Medal index card? It would be good to put some history behind the tunic.

I can't see his MIC on Ancestry, but here's his MID card......

Les

bakervy9.jpg

Here's a link to his entry on the NA site. I think it'll be the same card..... clicky

Les

Les

bakervy9.jpg

Here's a link to his entry on the NA site. I think it'll be the same card..... clicky

Les

Hi Les

Would you be able to send me an copy of the MID card if you have my email address.

Thanks again

Rob

There is a MIC for Captain C A Baker, South Wales Borderers on TNA website.

Ron

Ron,

That's the info in my previous posting. I think it'll be the same - a MID card.... unless you're willing to fork out £3.50 :P

Les

Hi Les

Would you be able to send me an copy of the MID card if you have my email address.

Thanks again

Rob

Rob,

PM sent.

Les

• 6 years later...
Guest BakerJames

Hi

I know this is on old post from a few years ago, The uniform in the the photo belonged to my Great Grandfather Cecil Avery Baker.

• 1 year later...

Member Biffrocks might have been in possession but he's not been on here since 2012 unless he's changed his member name.

I'm not sure if you can email him from his member profile but maybe a Moderator can advise you on your options? Assuming they're not all on a Zombie walk-about, looking for a fresh brains snack, that is...

Bernard