Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

trying to find details of my great great uncle

joanne Royle

Hi all, I am new to this board, my name is joanne and I am obsessed with the first world war. The word obsessed is an understatement. I found a postard sent from my great great uncle from france to his sister letting her know he was ok. He served in the yorkshire and west yorkshire regiments between 1914 and 1920. I know he didn't die in the war, well I don't think so but that's as much as I know apart from his regimental numbers and name where he was born. I am tracing all my ancestors back as far as I can. I have a couple of pictures that's it

and was told by the man at my local archives in oldham lancashire that no records still exist which is sad. I found out his regiment number for the west yorkshire regiment off the net at kew but I have limited access to the stuff and can't find out any more. I am in the process of writing a novel about two brothers who fought in the first world war one of which was killed at the somme. It's a story of courage, brotherly love,revenge and a sheer want and longing for the pain of grief and guilt of surviving to end. A soldiers memoir, entitled remembrance.

If anyone could possible give me any more information on a private harold copley 38795 Yorkshire regiment

and he was also 63883 west yorkshire regiment . I have no idea where he is buried and what happened to him . I don't know details such as address at enlistment. His mother I do know was mary ann Copley formerley

walmsley and her maiden name was standish.I hope someone can help me thanks Joanne

Hi Joanne

Nothing for him on the Commonwealth War Graves site, so he survived?

You can find his medal index card for purchase (£3.50 well spent) at Documents Online.

For more research ideas for your ancestor, and information on WW1 which might be useful or interesting, there are loads of tips and advice on the 'researching a soldier' on the Long Long Trail website, link above.

Joanne, If you want his Medal Index Card let me have your email address and I will send it on. Regards Ralph.

Joanne

Welcome to the GWF.

The Medal Index Card has no date of entry, it only has his two service number's and the Medal Roll Ref Number.( The Medal Rolls would tell you what Battalion or Battalion's he served in ).

My own feelings are that the Yorkshire Number 38795 is a late 1916 number ( no expert on the Yorkshire Numbers ), but the West Yorkshire number 63883 is a block issused to Yorkshire Regiment men transferred into the West Yorkshire Regiment and these men may well have come from the 7th or 10th Battalion Yorkshire Regiment.

Regards Kevin

Joanne, If you want his Medal Index Card let me have your email address and I will send it on. Regards Ralph.

Hi, ooh yes please my email address is ticketyboo1@btinternet.com thankyou very much indeed I have the postcard he sent to my great grandmother in a frame on my firelace. it has pride of place and always will have. If only photo's and things like that could talk eh thanks again Joanne

Joanne

Welcome to the GWF.

The Medal Index Card has no date of entry, it only has his two service number's and the Medal Roll Ref Number.( The Medal Rolls would tell you what Battalion or Battalion's he served in ).

My own feelings are that the Yorkshire Number 38795 is a late 1916 number ( no expert on the Yorkshire Numbers ), but the West Yorkshire number 63883 is a block issused to Yorkshire Regiment men transferred into the West Yorkshire Regiment and these men may well have come from the 7th or 10th Battalion Yorkshire Regiment.

Regards Kevin

Hi kevin, thanks for that info, I will look it up now

regards Joanne