Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RHA 13 pndr

Fat Frank

Attcahed is a picture of one of the 13 pndrs of the Kings Troop.

On the front plate are 4 verticle pieces of wood that have been painted, 3 green and one white. I have a 13 pndr which we will begin restoring shortly, could anyone tell me why the one piece is white?

No idea! I would guess it is to help it show up in displays.

Have you seen the Nery 13 pounder at the Imperial War Museum.

No idea! I would guess it is to help it show up in displays.

Have you seen the Nery 13 pounder at the Imperial War Museum.

Nope but I will be there again in September, I will make a point of going to take a look. Do you have any pics? I can send you an open e-mail if you do and would be able to send copies to us.

You could e-mail the query to the King's Troop -I am sure they will let you have the answer.

The Nery gun has it too - I have photos of the left and right sides, and the front/left if interested.

Cheers, Rob

Out of interest, I have seen modern AS90's with the same white stripe, I asked the Keeper of Collections at Fire power the RA Museum about the significance (He's an ex-Sergeant-Major Instructor in Gunnery) and he didn't know what it was for either!

I shall watch this debate with interest.

Phil

I hav etried to get hold of the Kings Troop diectly but their site sends you back to MoD. I left te question there but I am not holding my breathe. Anyone got contacts at RHA I can ask?

Is the same piece of wood pained on each gun? If not it could be a way of identifying each sub section in the Battery.

King's Troop are busy on tour of county and other shows - I suggest give them a little more time to answer.

Daggers

Try Firepower the Royal Artillery museum. I have emailed them specific questions in the past and they have always answered promptly

Is the same piece of wood pained on each gun? If not it could be a way of identifying each sub section in the Battery.

I hadn't thought of that but actually, yes, they all have the same piece painted as do the 18 pndr and the 13 pndr at Fire Power and the Nevy 13 pndr. Someone else on the forum wrote that some AS90's have it (see comment from Op-Ack) but still no answer.

daggers, the site for Kings Troop has been hi-jacked by the MoD. I wonder if the Kings troop have even received the request yet.

Gunboat. Yes, we have tried Fire Power, they have checked theirs and found the same thing but no answer. You are right though, they are very helpful (Paul and Les particularly). They were a great help when we restored the 6" 26CWT

Might be a datum line saying 'the official position of the gun is here, allow six inches [say] to left for bore axis'.

That might explain the fact that all the guns have stripe in same position. A central strip might be better but is necessarily obscure by the piece in elevation.

Just a thort!

on a philosophical note, does 'a question asked twice of two recipients' merit more or less of an answer than 'a question asked twice of one recipient?'

Might be a datum line saying 'the official position of the gun is here, allow six inches [say] to left for bore axis'.

That might explain the fact that all the guns have stripe in same position. A central strip might be better but is necessarily obscure by the piece in elevation.

Just a thort!

I think this is probably correct as sight testing apparatus use similar such lines exactly as Grumpy describes to ascertain datum. A clinometer is then used to check azimuth/elevation.

Just a thought, but I am unable to recall seeing any guns in service on the WF with such a conspicuous marking. Peacetime bull like the blancoed ropes?

And as the shield was there to stop shell fragments and SAA fire and not an integral part of the gun itself, and took a fair amount of wear and tear, would it be accurate and remain "true" enough to fix a datum line from?

Awaits incoming flood of said illustrations.

on a philosophical note, does 'a question asked twice of two recipients' merit more or less of an answer than 'a question asked twice of one recipient?'

Depends on whether the first recipient's second answer finally settled it for the questioner... :D

On a modern SP Artillery piece the white line on the turret is a line drawn vertical to the centre to the axis of the bore, it is a Safety thing. When setting up the gun for safety, the turret is rotated to maximum left of arc a tape is then affixed to the turret ring. the same is done for the right of arc and providing the turret mark is between these two marks the gun is safe to fire. the same goes for the elevation with a white line drawn along the centre of the axis of the bore there will be a locally manufactured hoop attached to the turret adjacent to the barrel. The gun is then laid to the maximum elevation for safety and a white tape is attached to the hoop parallell to the axis of the bore line the same is done for the minimum elevation, bearing in mind the markings are only good for a single charge i.e. all ammunition fired must be of the same charge.

John

John, are you saying that in the British artillery safety limits for live fire are always rectangular, with left, right, maximum and minimum limits? In the U.S. we usually have safety limits that have doglegs, that is, with different left, right, max and min limits on the same safety diagram, specific for a particular charge of course.

The kings troop regularly exercise there horses past my station most mornings in west hampstead, ill ask someone next time they pass us.

Yup, the question on RHA site is being asked by the OC of THA, the owner of the gun that I will restore. I asked him to try and find out so we can get it right.

hudsonswhistle, thanks, that would be great.

pete1052, we in RSA also have rectangular arcs of fire as described by johnreed

Hey Gareth (T8HANTS), your Inbox is full and I am trying to send you a message! Can you clear it or semd me a message?

Cheers,

Taff

Still no answers, come on guys, soemone MUST know or know who to ask?

Still King's Troop.

Kind Regards,

SMJ