Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/4th Seaforth Highlanders

SFayers

Hi folks,

I wonder if any Seaforths experts among the Pals could help me out here.

Can anybody tell me where the 1/4th Seaforths were and what they were up to on 10th July 1917? My g grandmother's 1st cousin Edward Dines was killed in action this day whilst serving with the Battalion. He's buried in Poelcapelle British Cemetery (probably originally buried elsewhere in the vacinity) so I'm guessing they were waiting for 'kick-off' for the 3rd Ypres.

Any help, as always, greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Steve

The history records that, on the 10th July 1917, the Battalon relieved the 4th Gordons in the line near Pilckem, nos 1 & 4 Companies in the front line and 2 & 3 in support, with HQ at Lancashire Farm. The front line was quiet, though 2/Lt W N Collins was slightly wounded by shrapnel, and 2 OR's killed and 6 wounded.

The men who died were named as L/Cpl Edward Dines and L/Cpl Herbert Grebly. Wonder if they were pals?

Martin

Just come across a problem. SDGW lists Grebly including number, rank and date of death, but the CWGC doesn't

Just come across a problem. SDGW lists Grebly including number, rank and date of death, but the CWGC doesn't

I think CWGC has him as GREBBY:

Also regarding the position of the 1/4 Seaforths and 1/4th Gordons

The 1/4th Gordons diary has things slightly differently:

The two battalions had a church service together at LEDERGEELE on the 1st of July and the 1/4th G-H were practicing attacks in the St Momelin area from then until the 9th

A 30 Central Camp: 9/7/1917...........Bn left LEDERGEELE and marched to St OMER entraining there for POPERINGHE. Bn in tents at A30 Central. Very crowded. Capt Williamson proceeded on leave.

............................10/7/1917...........Dry & Dull. Some shells fell near camp during the night. 1 ofcr and 100 O/Rs on working party under CRE at 8pm

............................11/7/1917...........2 Ofcrs and 100 O/Rs on working party under CRE at 8pm

TRENCHES ............12/7/1917...........Battalion relieved ¼/ Seaforths in trenches. BnHQ LANCASHIRE FARM with 4.2 proof dugout. 2 Coys B&D in front line and 2 Coys A&C in Canal Bank. Gas shells on the way

......................................................up. A quiet night 1 OR wounded by piece of Anti Aircraft shell in camp.

So from this it would appear that the 1/4th Seaforths may have relieved someone else but were relieved by the 1/4th G-H on the 12th inst.

Thanks very much for the feedback Martin and 4thGordons,

That's solved my little mystery nicely - so my g grandmother's cousin hadn't been back in the frontline for a day before he was killed! I find it curious why Edward Dines and Herbert Grebly / Grebby were buried in different cemeteries - certainly Edward must have been reburied in Poelcapelle at a later date. (The CWGC entry for Herbert does appear to be incorrect - his MIC is also to Herbert Grebly.)

When work, wife and daughters permit (hope springs eternal!), I hope to get up to Fort George to have a look at the 1/4th Seaforth's War Diary for this period.

Thanks again!

Steve

(The CWGC entry for Herbert does appear to be incorrect - his MIC is also to Herbert Grebly.)

Just had a quick check of the BMD index - his birth registration is Herbert Grebby, b. 1887, Horncastle district. So it appears his CWGC entry is correct and the SDGW and MIC are incorrect - no need for me to contact Terry Denham then!

cheers

Steve