Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Bedfordshire

richardp@comsine.co.uk

Hi all

can anyone tell me what the 2nd Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment were doing on the 07/12/1917? They were part of the 89th Brigade at that time I believe. I have a distant relative from that unit who was KIA on that day (Pte Samuel King, #20603, aged 27).

Many thanks

Richard

Hi

War Diary for December 1917

1 Dec 1917 - Chippewa Camp Battalion at CHIPPEWA CAMP. Casualties Nil. Sick wastage 3 Other Ranks

2 Dec 1917 Battalion at CHIPPEWA CAMP. Casualties Nil.

3 Dec 1917 Battalion at CHIPPEWA CAMP. Casualties Nil. Lt.Colonel C.H.de St.P.Bunbury and Captain and Adjutant C.A.Anstee, M.C. proceeded on leave.

4 Dec 1917 - Bedford House and Forrestor Camp At 12.30 p.m. the Battalion moved off to relieve the 18th Bn.Kings Liverpool Regiment in the BEDFORD HOUSE AREA. Details of the Battalion were accommodated at FORRESTOR CAMP under the command of Major J.W.Hurrell. 7 O.R. Wounded.

5 Dec 1917 - front line between Scherriabeek and Reutelbeek The Battalion relieved the 2nd New Zealand Infantry Brigade on the front line between the SCHERRAIBEEK and the REUTELBEEK and took up positions as follows. "D" Company relieved 1st Otago Battalion in the line on the Left. "C" Company relieved 1st Canterbury Battalion in the line on the Right. "B" Company relieved 1st Canterbury Battalion in the Centre of the line "A" Company were in support. Battalion Headquarters at J.16.c.65/50. Relief complete at 9 p.m. (Reference Map ZILLEBEKE 1/10,000) Captain A.P.Methuen wounded. 3 O.R. Wounded.

6 Dec 1917 Battalion in dispositions as on 5th 2nd Lieutenant C.Scutt wounded.

7 Dec 1917 Battalion in dispositions as on 5th. 2 O.R. Killed. 7 O.R. wounded.

8 Dec 1917 Battalion in dispositions as on 5th. 2 O.R. Killed. 1 O.R. wounded. 2nd Lieut.F.A.Sloan from Base. 2nd Lieut.L.A.Tansley to Hospital Sick

Taken from

http://www.bedfordregiment.org.uk/2ndbattalion.html

Graeme

Many thanks Graeme - I guess he's one of the 2 OR killed on the 7th. Now I need to do some research into the area mentioned and see if I can find/plot it on a map.

Much appreciated

Richard