Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Bn West Yorkshire Regiment

Messina1915

Does anyone have the war diary for the 9th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own) for September 1916?

Cheers,

Carole.

Carole

No,I don't, but I have some detail on actions late in the month when this Bn was briefed to be part of an attack on Stuff Redoubt and Hessian Trench,but the orders changed in the meantime, no one told the Bn,and they took off alone into a hornet's nest,actually reaching Stuff Redoubt. A harrowing tale over 9 pages (430 to 438) of my current Library Book "The Somme"by Peter HART,with considerable input by material from "B" Company Commander in the attack,2Lt Geoffrey PRATT. This action was part of the Battle for Thiepval which began on 26th September 1916.

That's the third time this week I have mentioned this book here !

Sotonmate

Hi Sotonmate

My chap was reported missing earlier in the month, so wasn't involved in that action. Thanks for replying though.

I have now find out that the reference section of my local library has a book on the regiment in 1914-1916, so I ought to be able to get some information on what the battalion was doing when he went missing from that.

Cheers,

Carole.

Hello Carole

I can save you a trip to the library, PM me and I can send the war diary for early September

Andy

:rolleyes:

Andy,

How long does your extract run? My chap went missing on the 13th.

Still heading to the library though, need to have a look at what the book says about another battalion earlier in the war - but it helps to see the everything I can get hold of :)

Cheers,

Carole.