Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Pals/CEF Researchers

Broznitsky

Can't believe I just came upon this now <_<

Could you include me in the list as well. I Live in Toronto and became interested when I learned of my great-grandfather (the Cooke reference). My specific interests are those listed in my signature, but have come love and research all things CEF.

cheers,

JonathanS

Sign me up, eh? :D

Brand new to this forum and have just picked up the baton for researching our Grandad, H.N. Causton's service in the 28th Btn CEF. Addictive, is it? <sigh> ... I am up to my ears in Irish family history research, too...!

Happy to know that there are others <Canadian, no less> who are similarly afflicted.

Cheers,

Alison Causton, in "the valley", Nova Scotia

Researching: Pte Henry Norman Causton [1892-1980], #73880, 28th Btn CEF; injured and taken prisoner at the Battle of Mount Sorrel on 6 June 1916.

• 5 months later...

Hello Peter

1 April 2005

I was doing a keyword search for "CMMGB" and found this old thread. We have come a long way in a short period of time.

Dwight

Hi Peter and Dwight,

Yes, we have done quite well! Do you suppose we will ever reach company strength?

Cheers from New Brunswick,

Terry

The growth of the CEF Group has been slow and steady, a fact that pleases me. It enables the Group to incorporate each new member, impart a brief overview of behaviour and decorum and provides the opportunity for current members to offer up a personal message of welcome to a new member.

Growing from a small stable base ... yes we will achieve company status and a final level of Battalion [my opinion] would be ideal.

Dwight

• 3 years later...

Hello.

John Gilinsky

Toronto,Ontario

Researching the CEF generally, Canadian Militia pre-1914 to some extent, history of shellshock in the CEF during and after the war

My goodness, this is an old thread that I hadn't seen before. Thanks for bringing it forward John. If we are permitted, I would like to request the Adj place me in "D" Coy.

My research specialty is the 21st Battalion CEF, with a penchant for individual soldiers. I currently have service files for about 140 (and growing) of the men. In addition, I am the webmaster for the 21st Battalion website that currently has over 1700 photos (url below).

I'm always happy to assist anyone who is looking for information on our soldiers.

Requesting permission to sign up for this illustrious group.

Primarily was interested in and focused exclusively my 2 CEF men. Now, I have expanded a little to reading more about their overseas units; 15th Bn & 75th Bn.

I hadn't seen this before either. Nice to see the record of the birth of the CEFSG long may it remain.

Norrette

Last winter I spent a lot of time researching the First Canadian Contingent on Salisbury Plain in 1914-15, including looking through several local papers - which carried details of local court cases and inquests involving Canadian soldiers. I also checked out the newspaper for Plymouth, where the Canadians disembarked after their transatlantic voyage. At some time or other I may be seeking help in researching reports in the Canadian press on the time spent on the Plain, but at the moment I'm happy to respond to specific queries.

But please note: I would not be willing to provide great chunks of my material, and I'm unlikely to be able to check out until next year Salisbury Plain newspapers for details that I haven't made notes of.

Moonraker

I am so old I am on Peter's Nominal Roll! Back then I thought I was the only Canadian who had grandparents that served in the CEF and the BEF. How things have grown since 2002! Awesome! I can't even remember that far back, I still had to work then - no time for that anymore. :D

Good old "Uncle Chris" made it all possible!

you can add my name to the list.i am interested in all things to do with the c.e.f. especially p.p.c.l.i. (relative fought and died with them).i am at present compiling a database of men originally from or with a connection to dundee scotland and surrounding area who fought with the cef,navy and airforce. at present have approx 300 men on record but this list is continually growing.

all the best gary thomson.

you can add my name to the list.i am interested in all things to do with the c.e.f. especially p.p.c.l.i. (relative fought and died with them).i am at present compiling a database of men originally from or with a connection to dundee scotland and surrounding area who fought with the cef,navy and airforce. at present have approx 300 men on record but this list is continually growing.

all the best gary thomson.

Try to get in touch with Ted Wigney who lives in Nepean, Ontario.

He collected PPCLI for years.

John