Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Pals/CEF Researchers

Broznitsky

Another Canadian member, specifically researching . . . ., and the 22nd Battery CFA CEF (whose flag, the only one ever carried by an artillery unit

Peter: I also have an interest in 22nd Battery CFA. I thought you might be interested in the photo below which is of the officers of 22nd Battery, CFA. I am sure exactly when it was taken. The officer standing on the far right, near the right trail of the howitzer is Major Angus Urquhart Meikle who served with the battery from 19 Jan 16 to 9 Oct 18 when he was wounded. He received the MC in the LG of 14 Nov 16 while serving with the battery. Are you able to identify any of the other officers in the photo? Regards. Dick Flory

post-20-1078731384.jpg

Thought I would update my list of "Colonials": those who live in Canada and/or those who specialize in studying the CEF and men/women who served therein.

I am not Canadian but rather a Californian - somewhat similar - both start with "CA"! My major interest is officers of the Royal Artillery, but I also have an interest in Canadian gunners from the Great War and own copies of most of the unit histories and nominal rolls for CFA, RCHA and CGA units in that war. I would be happy to help with any questions concering Canadian gunners, especially officers, who served in the war.

Regards. Dick Flory

Guest grandchild

Hi,

I have a "vested" interest in the CEF for several reasons. I have just spent the week reading some of the war diaries, trying to figure out where my grandfather might have been when he was killed. I put together all the items given to the family in a box, scanned them & other information & sent it to the War Memoral online. (Robert Park, Sapper, #1042811 7th CRT )

I haven't completed my search for answers and have prepared a letter to send off to the Archives. There was an Inquiry in Courtrai in 1919 about his death and I have absolutely no clue why it was held. All I have is a file number.

If any one has a way to guide me, and possibly give me some keywords to search in the database...I'd appreciate it!

Also, my mother told me that her Uncle John Theriault was in the 21st battalion CEF, and died in 1916...my next project! (John Theriault, Canadian Infantry, 21st Bn. #445570)

Claudia Park,

New Brunswick

I put together all the items given to the family in a box, scanned them & other information & sent it to the War Memoral online.  (Robert Park, Sapper, #1042811 7th CRT )

my mother told me that her Uncle John Theriault was in the 21st battalion CEF, and died in 1916...my next project! (John Theriault, Canadian Infantry, 21st Bn. #445570)

Bravo Claudia, for sending that material to the Memorial. Good for you! :)

As you may already know, John Theriault died on September 15th 1916, during the Courcelette battle. I looked at the War Diary and there were casualties all day long, but particularly heavy fighting to capture the Sugar Refinery saw many men from several battalions fall.

If you could somehow pin down his company or platoon, that might pinpoint the circumstances of his death. You might want to search for the thread on Circumstances of Death; some material is available at the NAC if you get a researcher.

He originally enlisted into the 55th New Brunswick Battalion in late August 1915, likely in Sussex, NB. The 55th was absorbed by Nova Scotia battalions, so until you get his service records, it's unclear why he wound up with 21st Eastern Ontario.

Have fun! Hope you get addicted like the rest of us Pals :P !

Peter in Vancouver

P.S. Our Colonial honourary Brigadier General Paul Reed is a Courcelette expert. Hint, hint.

Hi All,

To those of you who were kind enough to reply to my query about battalion numbers thanks a lot.

Garth (Mordac) has very kindly snail mailed a copy of the lists giving all the necessary details.

You're the man Garth.

Thanks Ken.

Sorry, I have been away for a while!

Pleased to see the Canadian Colonial list is growing. Please note that I have had to move my research web site on the Battle of Arras, that contains copies of all of the original material and documents that I have, to a new web site at:

http://www.censol.ca/research/greatwar/

Also this winter I became an Associate Member of the Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 136 "Pvt. Joe Waters" and so I am now getting involved helping my "Comrades" spruce up the Branch museum. First step is to get an elevator installed so all the vets can get the the third floor.

I note that in the Spring issue of the Legion Magazine (http://www.legionmagaziner.com) that there is a request for information on the 3rd. Bn., Toronto Regiment, CEF. Looks like a fellow by the name of Stuart Phillips is writing a book (snp_cda@yahoo.com). I will get in touch with him and direct him to the forum, just in case he is not aware of this site.

I added a few more books to the reading list this winter and so I have some new information for my site that I will need to get posted in the near future. As always, I welcome your additions, comments or suggestions.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

To feed my habit/hobby of making lists, I have updated the Canadian Pals list, now arranged alphabetically by 6 person sections. :)

182CEF, Apisani, Bill Alexander, Borden Battery, Broznitsky, Bydand,

Chris.Wight, David Bluestein, Grandchild, JaniceL, Jhill, Joe Sweeney,

KayJay, Laughton, Logau, Marc Leroux, Mordac, Neil Burns,

NSHighlander, Paul Reed, Peter Gower, RFlory, Rob Bulloch, Rossward,

Terry, Trichard, WJBates.

We are now working on filling our second platoon. Please add your name if you have a research interest in the CEF or live in Canada. (I'm sure I've missed someone!)

Peter in Vancouver

P.S. I bags Lewis Gun section.

Hi Peter, I just came across this thread so thanks for putting my name in your list. I look forward to learning more about the CEF here.

I've been fortunate enough to meet several of our Canadian Pals on various topics, and I am awed at the knowledge they possess.

So thanks to all of you for making this such a fine place!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gen_wizard

Hi Pals,

I'm researching a couple of C.E.F. Battalions at the moment. The 43rd and the 75th. I'm a Brit, (sorry about that, haha). At the moment i'm only interested in 2 men, 1 from each Battalion, but i'm am also getting very interested in the Battalion's themselves. Also i'm wanting to do some research into a few of the camps that they were staying at in the U/K, including Shoreditch and Reigate. If any our of Pals need a look up that i could do for them i would only be too pleased to do it for you.

Regards to All

Mike

Hi Peter,

I started off with the 31st (Calgary) Battalion, that my Grandfather served,focusing on the last year of the war. I'm now starting to look at some of the other regiments that other relatives, and also the people of the area I grew up in, served with. Since the folks from my area, a farming comunity in Southwestern Quebec, did a lot of seasonal labour out west, they participated in a variety of regiments/units. I'll likely work on the 87th and 24th next, while continuing on the 31st, earlier in the war.

marc

That's interesting Marc. Since I'm a former CGGer, those battalions are an area of my interest as well - I'm still at the starting point though and have been reading their War diaries.

Hi Peter,

I started off with the 31st (Calgary) Battalion, that my Grandfather served,focusing on the last year of the war. I'm now starting to look at some of the other regiments that other relatives, and also the people of the area I grew up in, served with. Since the folks from my area, a farming comunity in Southwestern Quebec, did a lot of seasonal labour out west, they participated in a variety of regiments/units. I'll likely work on the 87th and 24th next, while continuing on the 31st, earlier in the war.

marc

Marc I have records of all men in 87th mentioned in Alexander McClintock's book who can be identified. Let me know if you need something on them. I knew there had to be a reason I kept those after completing research tho I need the cabinet space!

• 1 month later...

Updating this again.

I think I can add at least: Argyll, N.S.Regt, Shelley.

I'm sure I've missed others, please add your name to this thread, or perhaps other Pals can mention you (if you're shy or not reading this :) )

Peter in Vancouver

Hi everyone

I just noticed being mentoined on the list you can count me in. I have information on many of the Nova Scotia units of the C.E.F. but focus on the 25th battalion. I have a awards list but need to find about 5 more MIDs to complete. I also have the names of the almost 900 who died while serving with the unit. I am trying to put together a list of the just over 5000 men that served in the Battalion with a short bio. on each. Anyone with any information can contact me I can use anything. I have shipping list for almost all N.S. units except the depot battalion and some of the Corps Troops. anyone need anything let me know.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

• 2 months later...

Once again updating the Canadian Pals list, now arranged alphabetically by 6 person sections.

182CEF, Apisani, Argyll, Bill Alexander, Borden Battery, Broznitsky,

Bydand, CanadaWWI, Chris.Wight, David Bluestein, Grandchild, HQ7,

JaniceL, Jhill, Joe Sweeney, Juice, KayJay, Laughton,

Logau, Marc Leroux, Mordac, Neil Burns, NSHighlander, N.S.Regt,

Paul Reed, Peter Gower, RFlory, Rob Bulloch, Rossward, Shelley,

Terry, Trichard, WJBates.

Please add your name if you have a research interest in the CEF or live in Canada. (I'm sure I've missed someone!)

Peter in Vancouver

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Peter and Fellow "CEF Pals"

Any more thoughts about bringing our loose"CEF Pals Conderation" more together to [1] faciliate more information exchanges on the CEF, [2] establishing more of a system for transcribing and exchanging CEF war diary transcriptions, [3] other matters of interest ot CEF researchers.

Regards

- Dwight Mercer, Regina, Canada ;)

Hi Dwight,

Please direct all blame to me!

I have been trying to get a website rolling (delays are from my own cyber-ignorance) which can be a platform for the very knowledgable CEF folks here. I have a domain registered but have had some difficulty getting the page rolling.

I am hoping to at least have somehting online in a few weeks. Please keep in mind I've made this statement many times before in the past.

My apologies to all interested parties in delaying this and wasting so much time.

take care,

Neil

Can I nominate myself as a member of this group? :ph34r:

Neil, if you're having cyber problems let me know and I'll see if I can sort you out.

Neil ... not a problem and certainly do not feel any pressure ... I have a wife ... a son in minor hockey ... a job ... a house to maintain ... about 101 different research tracts involving the Great War ... so whatever time you ... and ... collectively ... we can spare for this is a bonus.

And as you probably get paid substantially less than one of the Forum Moderators ... no one can really complain.

;)

Neil, no need to take any blame. I think it is great that you are willing to set up something. Besides, these things take time. I look forward to helping out when the site is up. :)

Dwight, count me in. I have been thinking, amongst some of my other projects, of transcribing one of the Quebec Infantry Battalions, likely the 5th CMR.

I have initiated my 1CMMGB war diary work in the common MS-Word97 and have established a page formatting that appears to accommodate most instances. If this is of interest I can forward samples.

Secondly, the format includes a heading with every day and date and has been corrected for the leap year. The Sundays usually note some church service which serves as a weekly check that one has not skipped a day. As a result, if you wish to do a search by a either a keyword or date and cross-reference with other events it can easily be done.

Thirdly, I have a parallel file structure of this day-date format whereby I routinely insert references of other events, books, this Forum etc. for that specific date. This has resulted in a simple filing repository for a lot of organized military trivia.

Conversely, if someone has created a subtantially larger body of work which is techically better, my formatted material could be amended so as to conform to an agreed to uniform "CEF Pals" standard.

Transcribing the War Diary material is plodding and boring at times. However, taking a longer term perspective, if we were to produce a uniform body of work over the next 2 to 5 years - consider the good foundation the following groups can work from.

Regards

- Dwight Mercer, Regina, Canada

PS As the number of Canadian Legion branches close or merge ... this might be creating either the loss of valuable material ... or ... the opportunity for us to capture and preserve some of this scattered material.

• 1 month later...

I would love to be included if it's OK? Although I am British my mum and grandmother were Canadian :)

Thro my hobby of genealogy I have discovered that my great-great uncle died in France in 1918 whilst serving with the Canadian Machine Gun Corps (more details in my sig.)

I have been intrigued for a long while with the Great War and finding out that I had a link thro my great-great uncle has only served to deepen this interest. I hope to learn a lot more here :)

Welcome aboard! Beware, World War One research is very addictive.

Guest k_byrneCEF

I think I belong in the list. I am a citizen of the UK but my interest in the Great War focuses around the CEF, hence my user name. I shall be making a trip to Ontario in the near future for some heavy duty research.

Kieran Byrne

CEF Re-enactor (UK)

You can add my name to that list. I live in Ottawa and am always searching for info about Canadian involvement. Especially on info regarding my Great-grandfather and his unit. This forum has helped me alot by finding stuff like his elistment papers and so on.

Paul K