Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Pals/CEF Researchers

Broznitsky

Thought I would update my list of "Colonials": those who live in Canada and/or those who specialize in studying the CEF and men/women who served therein.

182CEF, Bill Alexander, Borden Battery, Broznitsky, Bydand, David Bluestein, JaniceL, Jhill, Laughton, Mordac, Neil Burns, NSHighlander, Rob Bulloch, Terry, WJBates.

Please reply if you belong here :) .

Peter in Vancouver

Perhaps you might consider an "Imperial" as an honorary member, as I live on a CEF battlefield... Courcelette?!

Always happy to help with any CEF related enquiries.

Peter,

Study of the CEF is half of my obsession, British is the other half, and the rest of the world makes another half, for an even 150%.

If you don't mind a Yank being an honorary member also.

If you have acopy of Clive Law's book "Khaki, Uniforms of the CEF" you might see my name mentioned here and there. In fact you can also just about do a global replacement of the name Hiorth to Sweeney as everything attributed to Hiorth, except the Scout badge, came from my collection.

Joe Sweeney

Paul, I have your book on Courcelette. You can be our honourary Brig. Gen!

Joe, I wondered just how intense your CEF interest was. I have Khaki, and was pretty sure you were da man! Happy to have you on side!

I am one of the newer Canadian members of this group.

Interested primarily in the 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Corps.

Can send other details upon request.

Regards

Dwight Mercer, Regina, Canada

Paul, I have your book on Courcelette. You can be our honourary Brig. Gen!

:lol:

Seriously, always happy to supply any photos of CEF graves in the Courcelette area to any of the Canadian members of the forum.

Hi Guys,

I am from Scotland and also interested in the C.E.F.

I have downloaded fron the Canadian Goverment web site all the Mackays / Mckays who served in W.W.1.

This site gives the name and regimental number of the man (or woman) but not the unit served with.

Is there any way of finding the unit served in from the name and number.

Regards Ken.

Hi

You can find out the unit by there #.I think the book is call Reg Number of the CEF.I don`t think it`s in print any more?I found it on ebay.I`ll try and dig it up and get the title.

Cheers

Dave

Hi,

Love's "A Call To Arms" has the serial number blocks identified and I beleive is still available from the Naval & Military Press. Unfortunately this will only tell you original unit. If the original unit was broken up for replacements the soldier becomes mor difficult to track. You can always order the full service records but if you're looking for every Mackay/McKay that may be a bit cost prohibitive!

Take care,

Neil

If you'd like to post a list of number you're curious about I'm sure the folks here will be able to tell you the original unit attested to.

Neil

As Neil and Dave indicate, the regimental number shows which unit the man enlisted into. He would keep the same number throughout his career, BUT could move through several different units. Men who enlisted after 1915 were usually posted to different battalions once they got to England and/or France.

The only way to determine in which unit he fought with or finished the war with is to order his complete service package from the NAC.

Hi Peter,

If I recall correctly from my Portland OR days it's about 5:30 in the morning your time and you're on the Forum. Man, that's dedication!

Take care,

Neil

Some of the entries in the Nurse's Album that I have may be of interest to you Colonial folk. There are entries from members of the following:-

3rd CMG (two)

4th CMG

44th

19th

49th

47th

75th

144th Winnipeg

Some of these are copied onto my website, as are all of the names, but please let me know if you would like more info.

MC

Hi Ken:

E-mail me off forum and we'll make arrangements to get you the regimental number information.

Garth

Thanks for that James. :)

Invaluable, confusing, but most importantly, ONLINE! :lol:

Peter in Vancouver

This is what Dave was trying to remember.

WIGNEY, Edward H. Serial Numbers of the C.E.F. Nepean, Ontario, 1996

Still available new for about $10 Cdn.

Mordac advised you don't need this book if you have Love's A Call to Arms.

post-20-1077857392.gif

Guest jamesdavies

Hi,

My Grandfather (James L Davies 418784) served in the Canadian 42nd Btn from 1915-1918. He won an MM at Vimy and a DCM at Cambrai in 1918, by which time he had reached the rank of CSM.

I have been trying to find copies of Will R Bird's books locally with no success. I am now hoping to find a kind soul with any of them to tell me if there is any reference to my Grandfather B) .

I hope you can help., or direct me to someone who may.

Thanks,

James Davies.

Hi James,

Bird's books are available through CEF Books and also through Amazon.com. I'm at work now but if no one else checks for you I will take a look tonight.

Take care,

Neil

Another Canadian member, specifically researching the war dead of St. George's Cathedral, Kingston, Ontario, and the 22nd Battery CFA CEF (whose flag, the only one ever carried by an artillery unit, and the first to be placed in Westminster Abbey in 1915 we have just restored.) I have access to the Royal Military College and Fort Frontenac libraries, both of which have good WW1 collections, among other things. Ask if you need help. Peter Gower

Hi guys,

Many thanks for all the replies. I am snowed under just at the moment recording and filing all the information Garth (Mordac) has given me on another line of posts, but when I get a chance in a few days I will reply with more answers and/or requests.

Thanks Ken.

Hi James,

Sgt. Jimmie Davies is mentioned in Bird's book. there is a biographical appendix but not an index.

Take care,

Neil

Guest grandchild
Hi Guys,

I am from Scotland and also interested in the C.E.F.

I have downloaded fron the Canadian Goverment web site all the Mackays / Mckays who served in W.W.1.

This site gives the name and regimental number of the man (or woman) but not the unit served with.

Regards Ken.

Hi,

This website might be of some use. It does give the Battalion for the regimental number issued. I came across it this afternoon.

numbers

Claudia Park,

New Brunswick