Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to find this soldier

missmuffit

I need to find an ancestor who is listed in the family bible as KILLED IN ACTION.But it was suggested he died after the war finished, as he is not listed as killed in action

He was a private in regiment, Corps etc

Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own (Yorkshire Regiment)

Battalion/etc

4th Battalion.

Surname

Ferguson

Christian Name

James

Initials

J

Born

Medomsley, Consett, Durham

Enlisted

Boldon Colliery

Residence

Tantobie, Durham

Rank

PRIVATE

Number

Died Date

19/11/1918

Died How

Died

Theatre of War

France & Flanders

Supplementary Notes

M.M

Is there any way I can find out if he was KILLED IN ACTION, or did he die after the was finished.

Thanks for any help

Soldiers died in the Great War says he 'Died' this means he died of accident, illness or suicide. He is buried in ROISEL COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION.

Regards.

Tom

I mean to add that he 'died' 8 days after the war ended.

From CWGC. From this he was in 1st/4th

Casualty Details

Name:FERGUSONInitials:JNationality:United KingdomRank:PrivateRegiment/Service:Yorkshire RegimentUnit Text:1st/4th Bn.Date of Death:19/11/1918Service No:203062Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:III. I. 1.Cemetery:ROISEL COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Regards

John

From CWGC. From this he was in 1st/4th

Casualty Details

Name:FERGUSONInitials:JNationality:United KingdomRank:PrivateRegiment/Service:Yorkshire RegimentUnit Text:1st/4th Bn.Date of Death:19/11/1918Service No:203062Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:III. I. 1.Cemetery:ROISEL COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Regards

John

Thanks for the help and info all.

Can anyone tell me how I could obtain his death cert as I would be interested to find out the cause of his death, as he is buried overseas I guess it will not be England I will find it.

Once again

Thanks

Dying at that time would make it a fair chance he died from the Spanish flu epidemic.

Neil

You can order a copy of the certificate here:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

The reference you need is "Index to War Deaths - Army Other Ranks" - Year 1918, volume I 34, page 159

It's hard to say how much detail it will give though as some are supposed to be very light on - but certainly worth a try though

Good Luck

Sue

You can order a copy of the certificate here:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

The reference you need is "Index to War Deaths - Army Other Ranks" - Year 1918, volume I 34, page 159

It's hard to say how much detail it will give though as some are supposed to be very light on - but certainly worth a try though

Good Luck

Sue

Thanks all

Sue Im going to give it a go....thanks, hope it give me some more detail

Thank you

Thanks to all who helped

I have today recieved James FERGUSON'S copy of death cert and see the cause of death was Dysentery,aged 33, date of death is 19-11-1918 on the cert.

I have a famly bible which states his death was March 1918, can anyone explain why the family would have the wrong date as surely they would have been given the details as they are shown on the deth cert?

I feel saddened that he died this way when the war was almost finished, but I know it was quiet a common occurance in the trenchs, so sad.

Once again thanks all

Can anyone let me know how I can find out where James was in action, ie date and places of where he fought.

Thanks

I need to find an ancestor who is listed in the family bible as KILLED IN ACTION.But it was suggested he died after the war finished, as he is not listed as killed in action

He was a private in regiment, Corps etc

Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own (Yorkshire Regiment)

Battalion/etc

4th Battalion.

Surname

Ferguson

Christian Name

James

Initials

J

Born

Medomsley, Consett, Durham

Enlisted

Boldon Colliery

Residence

Tantobie, Durham

Rank

PRIVATE

Number

Died Date

19/11/1918

Died How

Died

Theatre of War

France & Flanders

Supplementary Notes

M.M

Is there any way I can find out if he was KILLED IN ACTION, or did he die after the was finished.

Thanks for any help

MM

You look here in the Long Long Trail,top left of this page for the Regiment:

http://www.1914-1918.net/yorks.htm

and then here for the Division his Battalion served in ( he was 150 Brigade of 50 Division):

http://www.1914-1918.net/50div.htm

The Division's page will list the battles it fought in. You will see that your subject was at 2nd Ypres in 1915,the Somme in 1916 etc.

If you really want to read about his war the Battalion War Diary is at Kew under the series WO95,though I have yet to find the number for it ! There are four Diaries under 150 Brigade WO95/2832 and 33 and 2836 and 37. The latter two may be the 1/4ths Diary but it hasn't described it that way. There will be narrative about the Bn anyway.

Sotonmate

Long shot, but could he have been a POW?

The 4th Yorks were caught up in the German Offensive in March. Chap goes 'Missing', so family believe he's killed. he turns up as a POW, but dies shortly after release, from the effects of his imprisonment. Family history over 90 years remembers the Missing bit and forgets the less-glamorous POW, dies of illness, side.

Just a thought.

My thoughts on reading this coincide with Steven Broomfields - that he was taken POW in March and died in November of 1918.

Steve.

Thanks so much ,

Some sound ideas and advice, I going to check them out ASAP.

I now have quite a picture of my ancestors instead of just two names and it is all down to you very friendly and helpful people on this wonderful site. :rolleyes: