Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10375 Sjt. R.J. Boyd 1st Bn Ryl Innis. Fus

kaisersoffensive

Hello

I wonder if any of you kind persons who might be visiting the N.A at Kew soon, could find the time to search for the service papers of the following soldier?

10375 Sjt. R.J. Boyd 1st Bn. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

He was awarded the D.C.M. the Gazette entry (2.12.19) states that "In an attack near Ledeghem on the 14 th ,October, he led a platoon with great skill and dash through the enemy barrage against strong opposition. He was responsible for the capture of several machine guns and prisoners before reaching his objective. On the night 19th/20th,when an enemy machine gun enfiladed his company from the flank, causing several casualties and delaying the advance, he personally led a few men and put the gun out of action.Later,under heavy fire, he led a small party forward and brought in wounded who had been left behind. He did most gallant work, and set a splendid example throughout to those with him. Gazette entry says that he came from Ramsey, Isle of Man.I haven't been able to find anymore about this gallant chap other than the above and his MIC card.I have posted this question previously and just bringing it around again.

Does any one have the Bn War Diary for this period that might possibly look to see if this incident is recorded?

Also is there any way that this heroic feat might be recorded in a Newspaper account of the period?

Will naturally reimburse anyone for his or her time and trouble.

As always many thanks for any help to achieve this.

Regards,

Bob Norman

Bob,

You say you have his MIC... there are 3 including the DCM card. I'll upload them shortly. His first name was Robert but having checked for a Robert (J) Boyd from the IOM on Ancestry, there are a couple that are possible but no middle initial. Also there appears to be no birth records for him either...... unless he was one of the many "Robert" & "Robert J" born in England.

Les

MIC as mentioned...........

boyd1yi7.jpg

boyd1agc8.jpg

boyd2cw1.jpg

Hello Evil Taxman,

Many thanks for taking the time and effort to reply.

Much appreciated.

Regards,

Bob Norman

• 3 weeks later...