Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this MIC right?

brett361975

2 MIC's to Officers in the same regiment.

post-17575-1215330600.jpg

one has no medal entitlement on it? why is this please ?

all so it gives the rank of LTon the MIC but when i put in the name on the NA search box his entry comes up as a Second Lt? is this a common error?

Presuming its the same man

Medal card of Berry, James

Corps Regiment No Rank

Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry 28741 Private

1st Northamptonshire Regiment Second Lieutenant

Royal Berkshire Regiment Second Lieutenan

it would be this MIc with the medal information. the one shown in the post appears to be simply a medal enquirey from the CWGC, he is not however included in the online CWGC register. So it may be he was being considered for inclusion who knows? As for the rank he may have been promoted after returning home and thus was not a Lieutenant in a war theatre hence no mention on the MIC.

Thats what i thought, i have a post running lower down called LT Berry but its got very confusing.

I think these are one and the same man, can you give your opinions please

thanks

IMHO these are not the same man, it's already been proved on your other threads that James Berry resigned his commission as a Second Lieutenant in 1919 due to ill health, a subsequent promotion wouldn't have thus occured. Quite where this enquiry fits in I don't know though.

Regards

Steve

As there are no other MICs for Liut or 2nd Lt J Berry in the Berks. Either it is simply an error on the MIC or a second possibility wass that there was indeed another lieut. J Berry in the Berks who did not serve in theatre , so no MIC or medal entitlement, and who died and was under investigation for commemoration hence the second MIC. But presumably did not fit the CWC criteria so no mention in the CWCG lists.

now thats a thought, i will get in tounch with the Regiment and see what they say

Regards

Brett

You could also look in the Army List to see how many Lt J Berrys served with the Berkshires.