Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge Identification

Steven B

I need help in unit ID of the soldiers in the attached picture. The soldier 4th from the left is my Grandfather. He also has a diffrent cap. Also what are the shoulder flashes on the soldier on the extreme right?

Thanks in advance

Steven Barker

scan0018.jpg

Guest Johnno

Hello Steven I think that the soldier who is second from the right is East Yorkshire Regt and its hard to tell but maybe the soldier third from the left is West Yorkshire Regtscan0018.jpg

post-34819-1215328983.jpg

post-34819-1215329951.jpg

The two at either end I'd guess Fusiliers - Royal Welsh or Northumberland (I think the 'shoulder badge' you refer to is a Fusilers' shoulder title - letters with a grenade above).

The guy with the walrus 'tache is (I think) King's.

Your chap might be a Light Infantry regiment, but I wouldn't like to say.

I'm fully prepared to be wrong, though.

I don't think its a different cap, just one where he has removed the wire stiffener.

Neil

Your grandfathers cap badge looks like light infantry, which one is difficult to tell. The seam on the inside of his trousers makes me think he is wearing riding breeches! (sorry if I've spelt that wrong).

John

Steven,

Id agree with slouch hat, the 2nd soldier from the right is from the East Yorkshire Regiment.Where/when was this photo taken?Are there any names for the soldiers in the picture?

Thanks,

Anthony

Looks like your grandfather has a wound stripe, I can just see the bottom of one. It also seems like he has his puttees wound from the top down, driver ?

all except one are wearing the thin web belt.

Mick

Has the soldier on the right a Lanyard through his epaulette?Im no expert.

Anthony.

For my money you have left to right;-

Seated left on fence -Welsh Regt.

Back standing - Lincolnshire Regt - with gallantry award.

Bloke with tash - Kings(Liverpool)Regt - not West Yorks

Next unknown - sadly breaks up on enlarging.

Second in from this end - Cheshires

This end - Royal Welsh Fusiliers - also seems be wearing gallantry ribbon.

More than likely taken post 1918/19 and probably 'Army of the Rhine'.

post-7376-1215367688.jpgpost-7376-1215367644.jpg

The first two badges in question.

post-7376-1215367905.jpgpost-7376-1215367800.jpg

Another two.

post-7376-1215368042.jpg

Final one. The unidentfied one in the middle is a puzzle and although looking like Light Infantry may not be. Sadly blowing them up decreases the clarity.

Final one. The unidentfied one in the middle is a puzzle and although looking like Light Infantry may not be. Sadly blowing them up decreases the clarity.

Thanks to all of you. RWF could be right but at the end of the war he should bein the Labour Corp. All I have to go on is my mum and aunts all say he was in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and then he was wounded. My mum says he had somthing to do with horses. So we have a wound stripe and he could be a driver. I have been unable to get his records but his medal card indicates RWF and Labour Corp. The latter I assume would be a posting after being injured.

I would say the picture probably is post 1918.

So far I have discoverd out of one house my family had four men on the front, one killed and three wounded. Appears two survived the first day on the Somme with the 13th York & Lancs.

Again, thank you all. Indipendent views seem to confirm what I have been told.

Steve

Steve

Labour Corps cap badges only started to be used late 1918/1919. Although General Service badge was used from August 1917 onwards even in 1919 it is not uncomon to find Labour Corps photographs with men wearing their regimental badge.

Ivor

I nearly agree with Graham, I would have gone for - from left

Welsh Regt

Gloucestershire

Kings Regt (by the way it would be the 1896 pattern, Graham shows the 1950 pattern)

DLI

RWF

Graham,

You have posted a picture of a Kings ( relatively) modern beret badge .

( Apologies if you know already)

P.B.

P.B.

Apologies for the wrong Kings capbadge, but as you will know that certain source doesn't always have the correct badge we'd like to use to illustrate what we mean. However I thought the general shape would assist Steven into seeing it was more likely to be Kings rather than West Yorks. It's also nice to be back helping with enquiries after a long absence.

At the same time I'm still puzzled with the unidentified one, although I'm sure it's a 'Prince of Wales' plumes badge, but it keeps breaking up just when you think you can identify it.