Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Battalion Sherwood Foresters

Anthony Bagshaw

Am trying to research the 11th battalion Notts and Derby Regiment. My Great Grandfather served as 6816 CSM G T Stokes.

Any information on the Battalion or soldiers would be a great help as it is proving quite a difficult task. There doesn't seem to be much written about them anywhere!

Cheers

There's a battalion history by Percy Fryer called 'The Men from the Greenwood' (published 1920) that you might be able to get through inter-library loan (one of life's great under-used time-savers).

Our own 'Greenwoodsman' may also have some info as I believe that his name's a clue to (one of) his interests!

See also http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mike.briggs76/11th%20Btn.htm

Hi Anthony

My grandfather served with the 11th Notts & Derby (Sherwood Foresters) from Sept 16 to the end of the war. Had a very quick check of my database of names for the battalion, and there was only one Stokes mentioned, a private with a five-figure number. I have the war diary, the Men from the Greenwood, 23rd and 25th Divisional histories, A copy of Tomlinson's diary, all of Vera Brittain's books which mention her brother (who was OC 'D' Coy, killed at the Battle of the San Sisto Ridge in Italy). How can I help?

Just a health warning - I'm climbing on an aircraft tomorrow morning at 0830, and won't be back for a week. E-mail me then, and I'll try to sort out what you need, and whether its available.

Hi,

Greenwoodman is the man to help you with this one because he's got a special interest in the 11th Battalion. In the meantime however, the book referred to by Bryn is online at: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~d...od%20Foresters/

Do check the mother site as well at: http://www.1914-1918.net/notts.htm

Andrew

• 5 years later...

hi can anyone help trying to find more info about my grandad,cpl robert william hawkins,11th battalion sherwood foresters,regimental no 235128,he joined on the 02.03.1916 to 24.02.1918.he passed awayon the 15.04 1998 aged 102 years,

Mike, I would recommend that you start a new thread in the soldiers section including regiment and battalion in the title. There are several Forester experts on the forum, a number of which may well be able to help.

Can I ask why you think he was 11th battalion? It's just that his number would suggest a territorial battalion.

hi can anyone help trying to find more info about my grandad,cpl robert william hawkins,11th battalion sherwood foresters,regimental no 235128,he joined on the 02.03.1916 to 24.02.1918.he passed awayon the 15.04 1998 aged 102 years,

There are several differences with dates :unsure: but the records I have state that 235128 Corporal Robert William Hawkins was born on the 15th January 1896 at Wisbech and enlisted for the Great War at Bury St Edmunds.

He enlisted into the 4th Battalion, The Norfolk Regiment on the 14th January 1917 and was wounded by a shell whilst on the Menin-Ypres Railway. Being wounded he was sent to the base hospital and when recovered he was eventually transferred to the 11th Battalion, The Sherwood Foresters. He served with the Foresters in Italy (and France) taking part in the battle for Asiago Plateau and Mount Grappa. Robert was discharged in June 1919. BRONNO.

Mike, I would recommend that you start a new thread in the soldiers section including regiment and battalion in the title. There are several Forester experts on the forum, a number of which may well be able to help.

Can I ask why you think he was 11th battalion? It's just that his number would suggest a territorial battalion.

hi andrew,every piece of millatry paperwork i hold for my grandad has that number 235128,i have just looked at a copy of his certificate of employment during the war,army form Z.18.that has 11th (s) battalion the sherwood foresters stamped on it .

There are several differences with dates :unsure: but the records I have state that 235128 Corporal Robert William Hawkins was born on the 15th January 1896 at Wisbech and enlisted for the Great War at Bury St Edmunds.

He enlisted into the 4th Battalion, The Norfolk Regiment on the 14th January 1917 and was wounded by a shell whilst on the Menin-Ypres Railway. Being wounded he was sent to the base hospital and when recovered he was eventually transferred to the 11th Battalion, The Sherwood Foresters. He served with the Foresters in Italy (and France) taking part in the battle for Asiago Plateau and Mount Grappa. Robert was discharged in June 1919. BRONNO.

thank you very much, just one more thing i need to know if its not to much trouble,who was the goc in italy 1918, as ihave a watch that he won in a rifle meeting which is as you would expect still working, again thank you for your help

• 6 months later...

Hi, I am trying to find out if 15985 L/Cpl Henry james Broughton of the 11th Bn was wounded on 1st July, his papers state wounded, but with no date. However he is shown as returning to the UK on 6th july 1916 being discharged later due to wounds. Is there a list anywhere that can confirm this? He was from Estkirkby, Nottingham, discharged nov 1917 and awarded SWB number 298869. Any help appreicated,

Cheers, Rick

• 3 years later...

Hi,

If anybody can help, I am still looking for any information on HJ Broughton..

Cheers,

Rick

Had to be 1st or 2nd as the battalion was taken out of the line on 2nd. Probably taken out during the night of 1/2 July but war diary does not give time.

• 10 years later...
On 19/02/2004 at 19:22, Anthony Bagshaw said:

11th battalion Notts and Derby Regiment. My Great Grandfather served as 6816 CSM G T Stokes.

CSM George Thomas STOKES, 11/6816, Notts & Derby

A disability claim pension card [unspecified disability] at WFA/Fold3 also provides Training Reserve, 6/4005

M

On 28/04/2009 at 21:31, somme said:

robert william hawkins,11th battalion sherwood foresters,regimental no 235128

Robert William HAWKINS

MIC shows first entered a ToW as 202907, Norfolk Regt. = Medal Roll may assist with his Bn and then perhaps to a War Diary at TNA.

M

On 24/11/2009 at 15:46, Ravrick said:

15985 L/Cpl Henry james Broughton of the 11th Bn was wounded on 1st July,

Henry James BROUGHTON, 15985, Notts & Derby

WFA/Fold3 have a pension index card and a pension ledger page - discharged 6-11-17 his wound quite likely seems to have been a GSW Right thigh for which he claimed/was awarded from 7.11.17.

The reverse of the plp shows at 5.5.20 his disability was considered less than 20% and he was awarded 6/- pw from 2.6.20 to 31.5.21,

his disabilty was rated 24.3.21 at 6-14% and he was awarded a final pension of 8/- for 70 weeks 

M

On 29/09/2023 at 19:59, Yelkcub said:

Aoril 1916 when my grandfather John William Rainsford was shot and wounded in the arm

John William RAINSFORD, 19314, Notts & Derby

MIC shows he was also, after first landing with N&D, he became 43063, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.  SWB listed - so that roll quite likely to show info on enlistment

WFA/Fold3 have a pension index card and pension ledger pages

Discharged R Innis Fus. 25-5-18 with a pension award of 27/6 pw 26-5-18 to 9-6-18 [100% disability rate - as a starter/whilst they possibly better evaluated his condition and calculated his award.  Address 49 Hopping Hill, Milford nr. Derby.

Claimed for a Severe GS Wound forearm - Reverse of plp shows Conditional/temporary details of 50%, 20/- pw from 26.5.20, 40% 16/- pw from 25.5.21 and 30%, 12/-pw from 24.5.22 to 22.5.23 [at this point on it may have been made a permanent award]

M