Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Discrepency in Rank. Any Ideas please

David W

I hve recently been undertaking research in respect of a soldier who was listed by CWGC and SDGW as holding the Rank of Private. When the family actually showed me a photograph he appeared to be wearing a battledress with Corporal stripes, however it later turned out his Victory & Defence Medal were both engraved in the rank of Corporal and his Medal Index Card also lists him as Corporal.

A request was made to CWGC to see if his records could be amended but they advised this could only be done either with sight of his military record (unlikely) or his Death Certificate. This has now bwwn obtained and to the great disappointment of the family it lists him as Private rank.

Can anyone please throw any light on how this could have happened and what might be the true situation regarding his rank.

Any help and advice much appreciated

Do not wish to cause any bad feeling but maybe he was reduced to the ranks? when i was a lance corporal in the army i got a bit happy with my fists (young and stupid!) i was reduced to the rank of private :ph34r:

Could this be a possibility?

I agree. Many men were reduced in rank for being careless one way or another. The MIC would be correct (as are the medals) as they would show the highest rank held.

Les

I agree. Many men were reduced in rank for being careless one way or another. The MIC would be correct (as are the medals) as they would show the highest rank held.

Les

Eviltaxman and Brett 361975

Very many thanks for your assistance, you have solved what has been a very great mystery for myself and the family, I was certainly not aware that medals recognised the highest Rank held whilst in service. Whilst his Military Record ofService is not available is there anywhere else where we might find details of when he was promoted/demoted whilst serving?

Once again, many thanks

Tends to be a conduct sheet with his records that would show any offences and punishment, I have a few, one to a Sgt reduced to private for casting away his arms in the face of the enemy, another reduced to the ranks for being absent, the list is endless, and if the army can't find a charge to match they get you on 252 action ! (bringing the army into dispute)

Without his records it could be an impossible task, put it down to a nice one, maybe a night out with the ladies, or went home to see his mum !

The other explanation is that he had local rank of corporal, but he was still a private. The medals are supposed to show highest rank in theatre. I've researched a man who was reduced from sergeant to corporal in 1920 (had been a sgt in Egypt to 1917) and his pair were named to him as cpl.