Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Berry

brett361975

Long story short, back to James Berry, still not resolved !

2nd LT Berkshire Regiment

Gazetted 1919 Resign commision due to illness caused by wounds.

Address on MIC

Sycamore House Uphill Western super mare

also

The Grange

Hutton

Weston Super mare

Found a J Berry died in 1926 in NORMANTON WAKEFIELD in March quarter

On the back of the MIC is the following : inf war graves commision d. 11.2.26 (i'm guessing this is the date of his death)

I am told there of four deaths recorded to the name of James Berry in 1926, are any of these deaths closer to Weston Super Mare?

Can anyone help me, i'm baffled here , is this the same man?

Chasing shadows on this one

Regards

Brett

Brett, The four people who died in that qtr by the name of James Berry were aged 60 (Salford) 0 (Bradford) 72 (Cheltenham) and 27 (Wakefield). Same info on Free BMD. Ralph.

Brett, I have had a look at this mans card and cannot see any mention of the CWGC and date of 11 2 26, am I looking at the correct card ? Ralph.

Just in case anyone doesn't know Weston Super Mare, it's 20 miles SW of Bristol...... that's the west country!!

The names mentioned above are all "northerners" by comparison.

The MIC below is the MIC with the addresses but no mention of CWGC.......

Les

berryhg9.jpg

Thats the card I have been looking at and the only date on the correspondence side is the 16th Feb 1920 the day his EF9 was received back. Ralph.

I can't see anything on the strength of the MIC that would indicate that he died. However, after sorting through a few James Berrys in Somerset, I came across this one. He was born in North Petherton, but it is only a few miles away from WSM. There is a James Berry living in Weston on the 1901 census, but he's in his 60's....

Les

91911400pl9.jpg

Guys

The MIC in question is this one although Brett seems to have made a link between this J. Berry and James Berry which at the moment I'm not convinced is there.

Steve

I think the James Berry MIC I posted is the correct one due to;

rank - Brett states 2nd Lt, the other MIC is full Lt

resigned commission - again my MIC states his entitlement to the SWB in the same year (1919) as he resigned.

Without further access to service records, J Berry could be a James, John or Joseph (to name a few).

I feel that the death aspect has been confused with the J Berry MIC.

Les

Thanks for you answers so far,

ok two MIC's same rank, same initial, same regiment

On the back of the MIC with the medals the address on the back is Sycamore House

the people living at Sycamore House in 1937 were an Arthur William BERRY and an Alice BERRY

Im told the second MIC with no medals i am told is just an enquiry in to medal entitlement as there are no medals listed but on the back we have the date (d.11.2.26)

Ok London Gazette entry below

LG 5-11-1919

R. Berks. R.

Temp. 2nd Lt. J. Berry relinquishes his commission on account of ill-health caused by wounds, 26 Sept. 1919. and retains the rank of 2nd Lt.

Ok so the d.11.2.26 is this the date of the enquiry? or the date of death? if its an enquiry why is it to the War graves commision?

Next we have a death in wakefield of a James Berry in the march quarter of 1926 aged 27 the only death with the age about right.

Or is this a coincidence?

regards

Brett

I think it is coincidence. If they are the same man, why is there a request for medals on another MIC (with a different rank - note that he is 2nd Lt not Lt - this makes a big difference) when the original MIC would have been used? (it wasn't full up from previous enquiries and the civil service hates extra paperwork). The CWGC query and the Wakefield connection are probably the same man and correct but my gut feeling says that they aren't the same man.

Les

I think maybe the best thing is to get a copy of the death cert of the James Berry in Wakefield and see what it says,

Back to square one ! next officers pair i'm buying are to montiguee smithe cant be that many too track down !

do you think i should get the death cert?

Also the J Berry on the MIC with war graves enquiry and the dat 26.2.26, the man who died in Wakefield in the march quarter of 1926 was also called James?

So i suppose i need to find out if the Berkshire regiment had a LT James Berry serving as well as a 2nd Lt James Berry serving at the same time?

any one have any links to the Berkshire regiment?

Regards

Brett

Brett

I think the 'd/' before "11.2.26" is for date - its very common on these medal cards - and therefore for the date of enquiry from the Imperial War Graves Commission rather than a date of death.

Usually these blank cards are to be found when a 'dummy' cards has been created following an enquiry received and where the original card could not be found by the medal office. Its easy to tie them up in the case of other ranks as more often than not the regimental numbers match. Its possible that those shown here are one and the same man. I would want to look at the army lists for the R.Berks.Regiment to see whether there was more than one office named J Berry.

What I don't understand however is why the IWGC would be enquiring about the medal entitlement of a Lt J Berry, R. Berkshire Regt when they don't have anyone listed with those details.

Regards

Mike S

Have you looked through all the officers' service files at Kew to find if his have been kept? You imply that this is in relation to a pair of medals that you have, in which case are they named to a Lieutenant or a Second Lieutenant? The two ranks are different. I have researched some men from the Berks Regiment, but not the Northamptons; why do you think they will have any more information than Kew or the Army List?

The evidence so far does not indicate J Berry and James Berry are the same man; it also points to a SWB card which has not been shown.

Edited by per ardua per mare per terram