Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help please, head about to implode!

restless-native

Hi all

I'm new to the site and have really enjoyed reading all of your contributions.

I spent 6 hours today at the Mitchell Library, Glasgow (thoroughly recommend it) but it's given me more questions than answers. I was researching my GG uncle and I've narrowed him down to 2 possibles, private 9281 and private 9781. Same name, Archibald Wilson, same regiment, QO Cameron Highlanders, similar age and both arrived in France 8 days apart in December 1915. Nightmare! There seems to be an admin error on his year of birth, should be 1894 as I have his birth cert. but I'll plod on with that one.

However, while looking at the voters roll for glasgow 1918 I discovered my G Grandfather Alexander(Archibald's younger brother) actually served but on the electoral register it just gives his name and the fact that he is absent and a soldier. I know he didn't die during service (fortunately for me!) so my question is, finally I hear you say, is there any way to find out regiment, service number etc with only a name and date of birth?

Sorry for being so long winded! Hope someone can advise.

Sarah

any middle names for him ? might help to narrow him down, getting 428 hits on the national archives for Alexander Wilson

Hi all

I'm new to the site and have really enjoyed reading all of your contributions.

I spent 6 hours today at the Mitchell Library, Glasgow (thoroughly recommend it) but it's given me more questions than answers. I was researching my GG uncle and I've narrowed him down to 2 possibles, private 9281 and private 9781. Same name, Archibald Wilson, same regiment, QO Cameron Highlanders, similar age and both arrived in France 8 days apart in December 1915. Nightmare! There seems to be an admin error on his year of birth, should be 1894 as I have his birth cert. but I'll plod on with that one.

However, while looking at the voters roll for glasgow 1918 I discovered my G Grandfather Alexander(Archibald's younger brother) actually served but on the electoral register it just gives his name and the fact that he is absent and a soldier. I know he didn't die during service (fortunately for me!) so my question is, finally I hear you say, is there any way to find out regiment, service number etc with only a name and date of birth?

Hi crabbitarse!!!!

If you have the names of his parents or wife and children it may be possible to find him on Ancestry's Military Pension Records, had a quick look and there are a few Alexander Wilsons

Regards, Barry

Sorry for being so long winded! Hope someone can advise.

Sarah

I hate to add to the danger of a head implsion (even though less messy for bystanders than an explosion) but could you be looking at a transcription error here it seems very coincidental to have two soldiers with everything so close and one digit difference in the number, especially as a badly written 7 can look like a 2 and vice versa. Have you tried looking at the MIC cards for both soldiers just to ensure that there is a difference? See the Long Long Trail for explanation on how to do this.

Hi Sarah,

Just had a quick poke about on the MIC's, and the only Wilson that showed up was 9781 Cameron Highlanders. Couldn't see anything for 9281. Would you like me to have a look at the NA? Hoping for a visit next week. Of course someone may provide you with more info in the meantime. Love your user name by the way. (Just how I feel at times!!)

Alie.

No trace on Ancestry for 9281 Archibold Wilson BUT 9781 Archibold Wilson was KIA 18/7/16 and entered France 27/11/1914.

Les

wilsonvj9.jpg

Nice one Les, but didn't Sarah say that Alexander was not KIA, or am I getting muddled with Archibald? Is 9781 actually her man?

Alie.

Alie,

Don't you start. My heads about to implode too :lol:

She did state "I've narrowed him down to 2 possibles, private 9281 and private 9781. Same name, Archibald Wilson, same regiment, QO Cameron Highlanders" and I think the latter is the chap I found above (I think :unsure:)

Alexander was the younger brother who survived (and fathered her family?!?!)

Les

Hi crabbitarse (Sarah)

How much younger was Alexander than Archibald and what was his address in 1918, then we should be able to find him

Barry

Alie,

Don't you start. My heads about to implode too :lol:

She did state "I've narrowed him down to 2 possibles, private 9281 and private 9781. Same name, Archibald Wilson, same regiment, QO Cameron Highlanders" and I think the latter is the chap I found above (I think :unsure:)

Alexander was the younger brother who survived (and fathered her family?!?!)

Les

Lol!! But have we established that 9281 is out of the question?? More facts needed me thinks. Think Barry has asked a good question.

Alie.

Sorry, implosion must have started already! The two Archibalds are actually 9287 and 9781. both KIA and the MIC I downloaded has both of them on the same page. I was convinced that 9287 was my guy as when I searched Scotlands General Registrar he was the only one born in 1894. I know this date is correct but looking at the Scottish War Memorial site it seems he was born in Edinburgh while 9781 who died the following year was born in Glasgow. I also, wondered why a poor 19 year old weaver from Glasgow's East End would have joined a highland regiment when all of his peers were joining traditionally glasgow regiments like the HLI. Looking further back I don't see any highland family connection. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Until today, I didn't know Alexander, the younger brother, actually served. He was born 30/12/1899 so must only have joined up towards the end. He married in 1927 but died in Glasgow in 1930. Do you know if his wife would have received a pension even though they weren't married when he served?

Thanks for all your replies. b.t.w Brett I can't access that link to Alexander, any ideas?

Once again. sorry for earlier dipstick moment and any confusion caused.

Thanks

Sarah

The family address was 39 Yate Street, Glasgow.

Further implosion. Was checking the Glasgow Evening Times Roll of Honour at the Mitchell today on microfilm and found a William Wilson, 41 Yate Street, Glasgow. I'm pretty sure that he's no relation but the photograph of him was the double of my younger brother. Very spooky, will have to investigate further.

Sarah

Surname WILSON

Firstname Archibald

Service Number 9287

Date Death 23/04/1915

Decoration

Place of birth Edinburgh

Other 2nd Bn.

SNWM roll THE QUEEN'S OWN CAMERON HIGHLANDERS

Rank Pte

Theatre of death F.& F.

Surname WILSON

Firstname Archibald

Service Number 9781

Date Death 18/07/1916

Decoration

Place of birth Barony Glasgow

Other 5th Bn.

SNWM roll THE QUEEN'S OWN CAMERON HIGHLANDERS

Rank Pte

Theatre of death F.& F.

Where was your man born??

Aye

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm

Thanks for that. My guy was born in Glasgow. When I searched for a death cert the only Archd Wilson who died in service with a year of birth 1894 was returned as having been KIA on 23/04/1915. I think I'm gonna have to put this down as an admin error until I can locate more info. I'll maybe email the Cameron Barracks to see if they can help.

Regards

Sarah