Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gt Gt Uncle

SteveB

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me shed more light on my great great uncle. William Frank Pearce, 201291 1st/4th Bn Welsh, died 4 March 1918, buried in Baghdad.

Is it possible to tell from his service number when he joined? I gather this battalion served at Gallipoli, but as he was only entitled to a pair, he couldn't have been involved at this stage. However, is it likely he was involved in 1917 in Palestine at the battles around Gaza? Is there any way of telling?

Thank you very much.

SteveB

His Medal Index Card lists a previous number 5357 same regiment, would this help in dating his enlistment ? dont know anything about re-numbering. Ralph.

Hi Ralph,

You couldn't do me a favour, could you email me his MIC please? I used to have it stored on the hard drive of my last PC, but that's kaput now. When I recently got the free access to Ancestry for 2 weeks, I couldn't find his MIC on it.

Thanks alot

SteveB

Hi Hywyn,

It does, strangely. Can't explain that, as according to CWGC he's buried in Baghdad.

I'd be very interested to find out more about his army career. My grandmother, who's 99, remembers him leaving to go to war, and I'm sure would be delighted if I can pass on any more information to her.

SteveB