Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Percy Turner - Middlesex Regiment

antonjdown

Hi

I'm trying to find out some information on my wife's grandfather, Percy Turner, who served with the Middlesex Regiment. We found his MIC through the forum, and it would appear that his regimental number was G/34527. I'm trying to trace his unit to place him more precisely during the conflict, without much success, and was wondering if the "G" in front of his regimental number meant anything?

Tks

Anton

Anton. I'm no expert, but one of my relatives was G/33275. He enlisted in July 1916 at Mill Hill, and subsequently joined the 13th Battalion in a reinforcement draft.

Let's hope others can narrow the search down further.

Noel

G= General Service

Very basically it means he signed on for the duration of the war only with one of the 'Service' battalions.

Prefix was used by the Eastern Command regiments, ie. Middlesex, Royal Fusiliers, Royal Sussex, East Surrey etc.....

Steve

A few points to make:

What are loosely called ‘The Home Counties’ regiments (in fact the regiments of the No. 10 Grouped Regimental District) used ‘L/’ for soldiers on regular engagements, ‘S/’ or ‘SR/’ for men of the Special Reserve, and ‘TF/’ for the Territorial Force from 1907 or 1908.

G/ was added 1914 [with others], and was indeed for duration men, although, of course, this does not mean that they necessarily served in Service battalions.

RF was NOT 10 District but did use the compounds.