Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Victory' sweetheart brooch

Peter Doyle

Having little knowledge of naval matters in the Great war (apart from the Dardanelles!), i thought that I'd turn to the Forum for advice. I've just picked up a standard WW1 vintage mother-of-pearl-with-silver-border sweetheart brooch that has what is presumed to be the crest of HMS Victory. I also assume that this is a shore establishment (like HMS Pembroke, Sultan, etc), but can someone put me on the right track here? Thanks!

Peter

HMS Victory was and is a 1st rate wooden walled ship, at that time she was still afloat; as the flagship for Portsmouth she retained a complemnt of staff for flag duties. The name was also used for the Portsmouth naval barracks. Various Roman numerals designated accounting bases, where a man's admin was done, mail went to and so on; this did not mean he was serving at that base. Depending on the number, the man could have been actually serving on the auxilliary Patrol, in training with or actually serving overseas with the Royal Naval Division.

HMS Victory was and is a 1st rate wooden walled ship, at that time she was still afloat; as the flagship for Portsmouth she retained a complemnt of staff for flag duties. The name was also used for the Portsmouth naval barracks. Various Roman numerals designated accounting bases, where a man's admin was done, mail went to and so on; this did not mean he was serving at that base. Depending on the number, the man could have been actually serving on the auxilliary Patrol, in training with or actually serving overseas with the Royal Naval Division.

Thanks! I knew about the 'first rate' bit, and damned fine she is too (and my son's birthday is 21st October, much to his pleasure); it was the latter bit I wasn't clear on. I guess I'm still not clear why a man would have given a sweetheart brooch with Victory on it - unless, of course, it was just a souvenir of Nelson's flagship? I guess it's possible, but the badge is the same as many others I have depicting regimental badges, etc.

Thanks!

Peter

Maybe he net her when he was serving on Victory? If not he could have been allocated to one of the sub divisions and a badge to Victory had more style.

Maybe he net her when he was serving on Victory? If not he could have been allocated to one of the sub divisions and a badge to Victory had more style.

Sounds feasible, doesn't it? Thanks!

Peter