Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Davies RAMC Pte 48151

Hywyn

I am posting this on behalf of new member Freeman4 who posted the following thread re the above Pte Thomas Davies' personal war diary.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...mp;#entry935919

His Diary finishes abruptly on 1st April 1918.

His Medal Card shows that he died of wounds on 24/6/1918 (the 6 is faint)

I cannot see him anywhere on CWGC /SDGW/ Geoffs Search Engine. He is not on the Ancestry Service papers or the 'pensions' papers.

It is, of course, quite possible that Thomas was brought over to the UK and died here but, in order to cover the other aspect, could someone with access to the Overseas Index please check him for me.

TIA

Hywyn

Greetings Hywyn,

No record on the overseas index for a Thomas Davies number 48751.

Doug

Hi Doug

Thanks. At least I can now concentrate on the 31 Thomas (X) Davies for the 2nd Qtr 1918 on GRO. Having said that the ages are given and of those there are two in their 20's and six in their 40's.

I need a GRO expert now to tell me whether they will go through these eight(or maybe the lot) for my £7 to spot the serving soldier. I'll ammend the topic heading.

Hywyn

Hywyn

Could this possibly be your man? Page 926 of the Overseas Index.

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy

I don't think that is the same man. I'm given to understand that his number(48151) is written in the diary he kept. The only document available is the medal card which gives the DoW details. Thanks for your help.

Hywyn

At least I can now concentrate on the 31 Thomas (X) Davies for the 2nd Qtr 1918 on GRO. Having said that the ages are given and of those there are two in their 20's and six in their 40's.

I need a GRO expert now to tell me whether they will go through these eight(or maybe the lot) for my £7 to spot the serving soldier.

Hywyn,

To complicate matters further your mans death 24/6/18 might not have been registered until the third quarter. You should also consider the spelling DAVIS. I have applied for certs (B,M+Ds) in the past where I am not sure of all the details, but I have said in my letter that I only want it if certain other facts fit. ie Wife or mothers/fathers name as informant, place of birth/death etc. The one cert that I have for a dead service man was for a death in the Boer War in SA. It has on it the mans service number. I would also suggest not going to Southport but to the individual Register Offices. It will mean more writing for you but less room for error by them. And do it by snail mail, not online.

Owen Hales

Owen

Thanks for your thoughts. Being, as it were, on the cusp of two periods does complicate matters a bit doesn't it.

Hywyn

• 11 years later...

Hmmm, something amiss here... Correct number is 48751 per the other discussion linked in the first post, and the date of death on the medal card and roll is 24 March 1918, not June. Which begs the question, how does his diary continue up to 1 April? In any case, I can't see anything for this man besides the MIC and rolls.

30850_A000422-00223.jpg.2a72af08ae614d597a4623901e6b270c.jpg