Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A R Cousins

Jonathan D'Hooghe

Can anyone help me find out any more about Reverend A R Cousins CF, Chaplain attached to the 7th Suffolks in July 1916. I have two letters from him to my great grandmother notifying her that her son, Jack D'Hooghe, my great uncle was missing after the 7th Suffolks assault on Ovillers on 3/7/1916. The content of the letters can be seen on my post under the chit chat heading of this site. Thank you.

J

There are 938 Chaplain files in Kew series WO374 and a handful in WO339,but none of them feature AR COUSINS,which is a puzzle.

Sotonmate

I assume the letters are hand written and signed, there is one listing in the National Library and Archives Canada for an Arthur Renolds Cousins. Possibly your man??

You can search the First World War database here. http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databas...42-100.01-e.php

front of attestation paper http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databas...p;id_nbr=120881

Back of form, note the signature. http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databas...p;id_nbr=120881

The Canadian is eighteen years old on enlistment. His regimental number 59207 is to the 21st Battalion, and the a/p is a duplicate that does not contain any of the original signatures. Not likely a Chaplain. In any event, I do not believe any Chaplains were "enlisted" in the C.E.F. They were "appointed" with an honourary commissioned rank of Lieutenant, Captain, Major, etc.

thank you all for the replies. as ever with a puzzle like this you never know where the next turn will take you. the letters are hand written and signed, one in pen and one in pencil. i shall re read them now with a Canadian accent in mind!

As a post script, it also amazes me that after July 1st and the terrible battle that ensued, that my great grandmother could write and receive two replies from the front within a fortnight. Almost puts our modern postal service to shame.

J

Jonathan

As a follow on from Sotonmate's post above I've had a look through the London Gazette and the available Medal Index cards etc. and the best I can come up with is a Rev. A. E. Cousins. Any chance the second initial has been misinterpreted?

Steve

Hi Steve, Thanks for the info. It certainly makes more sense than a Canadian being a chaplain to the 7th Suffolks. And your man is a reverend. My files are at home so i shall look at his letters again tonight. His handwriting is quite scrolly/flowery so maybe what i have taken as an R is in fact an E. I shall post again this evening. Once again many thanks

Jonathan

Following on from the last post, I have re-read the letters to my great grandmother and the signature is defnitely A R Cousins not A E.

He has signed as Rev A R Cousins CF. Att 7th Suffolks.

According to Ken McLean, it is unlikely that Albert Reynolds Cousins was a Chaplain and yet no A R Cousins appears as a chaplain in British records but there is an A E Cousins who was a reverend! - the signature is defnitely A R, therefore does the CF after his signature denote Canadian Forces? Any more help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

J

Jonathan

I believe I'm correct in saying that CF denotes Chaplain to the Forces and has nothing whatsoever to do with the Canadians. I'll have another trawl through the Gazette etc. to see if there are any other clues.

Steve

Jonathan

I've drawn a blank again I'm afraid :( .

What you need is an Army Chaplain's Department expert, can I suggest you drop forum member Audax a PM to see if he's come across him before?

Regards

Steve

thanks steve. i will do that.

J