Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

£1 Ancestry Monthly Fee Increase

NeilEvans

Dear Neil,

As a valued Ancestry customer you'll be aware that with over 800

million searchable names we are the UK's leading online genealogy

website - and the only place that you can find the complete England,

Scotland and Wales Census collections online.

In addition, we have more exciting content releases coming up

including the Inwards Passenger Lists 1878-1960, updates on our

military collections and new parish content.

In order to maintain our quality service and provide you with new

records in a timely manner, we have reviewed our pricing and from 4

June 2008 your monthly membership will increase by just £1 to £10.95

per month. The payment will be taken automatically through your normal

payment method, so you don't need to do anything further.

We are confident you will agree this still offers excellent value but

if you decide that you would like to cancel your membership then click

the following link to "My Account" and follow the online instructions.

Review on June 4th and informed on July 2nd. lets hope this extra £1 improves the service.

But on a serious note i actually feel Ancestry is very good value.

What precisely do you get for your £131 a year? Seems an awful lot to me. Anyway, better let Gordon B and Alistair D know that the real rate of inflation is apparently 10%! I recommend basing your pay demands on Ancestry's increases. Good luck on that BTW.

Can't disagree with that.

Another gripe i have is this 'American' company providing access to our national records, i feel it would've been better to give it to a UK provider.

I feel it is good value as well, but do wonder what went wrong when I see on documents stating 'Heritage Fund' 'Lottery' etc, is Ancestry a charity or a profit making organisation.

I wonder if they are putting the price up due to the rise in Oil prices!

My 2d

Regards Charles

Sorry, have I read this right: the lottery is funding a service provided by a profit making American company? Shurely shum mishtake...

Guest geoff501
is Ancestry a charity or a profit making organisation.

If you trace Ancestry's website, the servers are in Salt Lake City. Is it run by LDS ?

Another gripe i have is this 'American' company providing access to our national records, i feel it would've been better to give it to a UK provider.

the lottery is run by an American company init?

Why on earth would we in the UK give a monkeys about inward passanger lists into the USA? and be charged £1 extra amonth for the privilage.

I'm perhaps fortunate in being able to trace my family back to 1742 on my fathers side (with a broken line going even further back to about 1570). On my Father's mother's side I can get back to about 1789 and on my Mother's to the 1820s. I would find Ancestry of some use in following up some side shoots but not £130 per years worth!

It does somewhat smack of privatising our history.

It depends on what you want to use Ancestry for, and how often you are going to use it. I have an annual subscription,which is considerably less than the total (annual) monthly one. It suits me because I can access many records from home which saves me time and money. Occasional users may well find it an expensive option of course. In the end, the real value of the service is what the individual is prepared to pay.

TR

I use it for census and military records. I pay monthly. The annual cost will be £131.40

For that price I can get far more information than I ever could on one visit to NA, which from here in Northern Ireland would set me back a lot more that £130!

For me it is a price worth paying. If I lived nearer to Kew then perhaps it might not so attractive but from here I'm still happy to pay the price.

Cheers,

Nigel

I spend a couple of hours each night on Ancestry. I searching for Pension, Service records and MIC for all my Shropshire men.

Owing to the volume of records i view and transcribe, i find the value good.

Neil

What is the taxpayer getting in return for the funding it put into the digitising of the documents. I am sure most of you have seen this cover.

Regards Charles

post-7039-1215030011.jpeg

The £130+ must be for the worldwide service? I pay about £60+ annual fee for the UK bits and it gives me what I want i.e Census and the military stuff.

Annoying that the Overseas indices are only on Findmypast only though.

Also, I seem to recall reading that Ancestry wont necessarily have the 1911 census when it gets out

the world is run by greed and how you can squeeze more and con your fellow man and woman,....i dont subscribe to that system...i also dont subscribe to the topic we are discussing....jim

I spend a couple of hours each night on Ancestry. I searching for Pension, Service records and MIC for all my Shropshire men.

Owing to the volume of records i view and transcribe, i find the value good.

Neil

Totally agree with you Neil, I do the same for my Woverhampton men, I find it good value, would cost me far more in train fares to London and back for far far less return. Ancestry are not on their own NA charging £3.50 for a MIC isn't exactly cheap.

Regards Doug

If you trace Ancestry's website, the servers are in Salt Lake City. Is it run by LDS ?

Geoff

No, no connection with LDS. It's part of Generations Inc, which was recently 'taken over' by a private equity firm (they're everywhere these days :o ) - see here. Generations Inc also includes the Rootsweb family of family history discussion boards.

Don't know what the financial arrangements are between TNA and Ancestry (but I'd guess Ancestry pay TNA for the right to upload the records, and I believe Ancestry have done some of the photographing/digitising) - a commercial arrangement, driven by Treasury rules.

Jim

When I renewed my annual sub, it was only £64 (after some negotiation with the very amenable fellow on the other end of the phone! :D ) That works out at little over a fiver a month, considerably less than the sums being quoted based on monthly subs.

I use it for researching my own family, helping out friends with their family history, as well as the war memorial research. There is an awful lot there for the money - yes, it's unlikely that I'll want to use some of what's available, but it all depends on circumstances. For instance, I don't, as far as I know yet, have anyone to research who emigrated to the USA, but there are plenty of people in the UK who do.

And it isn't a monopoly - there is competition with Findmypast, for one. They overlap to some extent, but each offers resources that the other doesn't.

Agree with you Greyhound. My subscription is seventy odd pounds a year which I think is excellent value considering that I am a very frequent user.

I remember, not so many years ago, trudging up from Essex to Kew to look at medal cards - and in those days you couldn't just fish them off the table, you had to ask an assistant to do it for you. The whole process was laborious to say the least. Kew is now five thousand miles away from where I sit and having so many records at my fingertips via the Ancestry site is a boon. So the sytem's not faultless, the transcriptions can be unnerving at times but it still beats wading through microfilm and fiche or those big heavy registers they used to have at St Catherine's House. And you're right, it's not a monopoly.

My Ancestry sub. is the best value that I spend on research. As others, I can sit here in "sunny" Stockport, look at census information, service files and (thanks to the deal with the WFA) medal index cards. Easy peasy job.

Do I object to them making a profit on the backs of the NA? No. I'd be like objecting to the company which cleans the National Archives building making a profit.

Alright already!!!! :D Now I know what you guys use it for I can see the 'value for money' argument, especially for those some distance from Kew and if were into the sort of research clearly going on then it seems like a reasonable deal. So, well done Ancestry and all who sail in her/him/it.

Renewed my annual UK only subscription yesterday, £83.40.

However, I have had a lot of success with family tree, use

it most days, so I think £1.60 a week for me is not so bad.

Located Germany and Woodbridge, some would say Suffolk

is a foreign country!

Regards,

Norman

The MICs alone that I have downloaded have paid for my sub, if I had had to pay the NA charge of £3.50 each. And that is only a very small part of the info I have had from Ancestry.

The MICs alone that I have downloaded have paid for my sub, if I had had to pay the NA charge of £3.50 each. And that is only a very small part of the info I have had from Ancestry.

I agree, but i wish they would hurry up with the rest of the service records, so i can cancel my subscription

Nick