Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Date of Embarkation?

snailybailey

Not sure if this is possible but from the Battalion and service number is it possible to confirm the date of embarkation of the casualty below?

Private 19414 Cecil Jones

2nd Battalion, Wiltshire Regiment

Died of wounds 15th September 1916

Hopefully somebody with a knowledge of the regiment movements can help me?

Thanks

Glyn

His medal card shows no Star, so it was after 31st December 1915. So he was part of a reinforcement draft that joined the 2nd Wiltshires during 1916.

Noel

Thanks Noel, I am really interested to know exectly when in 1916 he went over, it was obviously before September as died of his wounds then

Hopefully a Wiltshire expert can enlighten me!

Cheers

Glyn

Glyn

The Wiltshire Regiment War Diaries are searchable online here..... https://www.thewardrobe.org.uk/wardiary.php

A quick search shows that in 1916 the 2nd Battalion received drafts of men on 29 February, 12 March, 20 April, 5 May, 26 May, 31 July and 10 August. As I say it was a quick search so there may be more but I guess it's a start.

Also assumes that he went as part of a direct draft to the battalion and didn't go overseas with another battalion and transferred to the 2nd Bn. later.

Hope it helps.

Steve

Glyn

The Wiltshire Regiment War Diaries are searchable online here..... https://www.thewardrobe.org.uk/wardiary.php

A quick search shows that in 1916 the 2nd Battalion received drafts of men on 29 February, 12 March, 20 April, 5 May, 26 May, 31 July and 10 August. As I say it was a quick search so there may be more but I guess it's a start.

Also assumes that he went as part of a direct draft to the battalion and didn't go overseas with another battalion and transferred to the 2nd Bn. later.

Hope it helps.

Steve

Thanks for this Steve, his MIC only has the 2nd Wiltshires on it so does that mean that was his only regiment/battalion? If so then it rules out the transfer suggestion I guess

Glyn