Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Edwin Edwards

Ken Lees

Ninety one years ago today, 26 year old Pte 332698 Albert Edwin Edwards was killed in action. In order to keep his memory alive, I have chosen today to try to discover more about him.

On 2nd july, 1917 he was serving with 'C' Coy, 1/9th Bn. King's Liverpool Regt. in the Wieltje area, east of Ypres.

The Battalion War Diary states:

WIELTJE

1st - 3rd Enemy artillery was fairly active during this period. On the night 2nd/3rd the Battn was relieved by the 2/5th LANCS FUSILIERS, relief complete at 3 a.m. During the night every available man was working on HOPKINS TRENCH, this trench was completed before the Battn left the Line. Owing to it being daylight the time the Battn was relieved it was necessary for us to proceed in small parties, and as the roads were being shelled by the enemy, the Overland Tracks were used. The Battn was reported present in QUERY Camp at 6 a.m. on the morning of the 3rd.

As can be seen from the above extract, there is no mention of any casualties on those days. He appears to have been the only man of the battalion killed that day and he was subsequently buried in the Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery. I wonder if he was killed during the digging of the trench, or perhaps during the shelling mentioned whilst the relieved battalion made it's way back via the overland tracks to their camp.

He was born in Liverpool and was the husband of Georgina Edwards, of 22, Medlock St., Liverpool.

Can anyone tell me where 'Hopkins Trench' was?

Also, where was "Query Camp"

Any further information about Albert Edwards will be gratefully received.

Regards,

Ken

post-927-1214993603.jpg

Bringing this topic back to the top in the hope that someone can answer the questions raised.

Ken

Thanks Daggers.

Where is the Town Hall? Is the Roll of Honour on the wall there or is it in the form of a book? If it is photographable I will take a train in to town and have a look at it in the next week or two.

Thanks again,

Ken

ken,you may get help on your trench,and camp,in the western front subforum,enter 'trench maps' in search,and take from there.Good luck,Fiona

liverpool town hall,High St,Liverpool,L2 3SW. Tel 0151 707239. open 11-4 m-sa.fiona

ken,you may get help on your trench,and camp,in the western front subforum,enter 'trench maps' in search,and take from there.Good luck,Fiona

Thanks Fiona,

I have made some progress with the trench location, but haven't tied it down precisely so far. As for the campI now know where that was - close to Brandhoek and, ironically, close to where Albert Edwards is now buried.

I will visit the Town Hall in Liverpool soon.

Ken

Town Hall : High Street is a laughably small passageway, though the correct address. Easier to find by 'facing the end of Castle Street, at junction of Water Street and Dale Street'. Ormskirk train to Moorfields will get you within 250 yards and save parking horrors. Plenty of cafes, bars etc in the area.

The Memorial Hall is sometimes used for civic hospitality or inaccessible because of it, so worth a call in advance to check. Enter the main doors and ask an attendant to show you to the Hall. I think there is a digit missing from Sandra's advice; I have used 0151-225 5530.

The Roll consists of framed panels of printed names around the wall and on pillars, arranged alphabetically by initial of surname but loosely within the alpha system, so the Es contain Edwards and others liberally mixed. There are a couple of lists of later additions. There is glass in front of the print, so it may prove hard to get a decent shot All you will see is names, ranks and units, but the fresco paintings round the room make it worth a visit. They include regimental and service badges, sometimes loosely interpreted by the artist, and depictions of abstracts such as Victory, Renown, etc. I have a file of shots of these.

Good hunting

Daggers