Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

109th Company, Army Service Corps

marksimner

I have begun researching a British soldier who served with the 109th Company of the Army Service Corps during the First World War.

He died in Malta on 1st February 1917 and is buried on the island at the Pieta Malta Cemetery. I am a frequent visitor to Malta and have visted the Cemetery several times and intend to find his grave on my next visit.

What I want to know is what exactly did the 109th Company ASC do and where was it? I am guessing he was either wounded or sick and so sent to hospital in Malta where he sadly died.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Mark,

foll details from Col Michael Young's history 'ASC 1902-1918' Annex Q

ASC Company 109

formed; 29 August 1914 - Theatre/OoB; Western Front, 10th Div, - Role; Train, No.2 Company (HT)

disbanded; 4 March 1919 - Theatre/OoB; Salonika, 22nd Div, - Role; Train, (Wheeled Echelon) (HT)

NA file ref; WO 95/4849

I know Malta's hospitals served the Gallipoli wounded as my grandfather was in one for a month

so I presume that they also cared for wounded/sick from Salonika too, but its just a guess

By the refs to (HT) he had been working with horse transport of some form or other

best of luck

Michael

Michael

Thank you for the information, that's interesting as I have a medal group to an officer in the ASC who was sent to Salonika who was suspected to have been a German spy.

I will have a look at Salonika and see what they were up to as I know very little about this part of WW1.

Cheers

Mark

• 3 months later...

Would you happen to have any details for 498 Company? Or for the interestingly named 15th SSHT in the ASC? I would be very grateful

Mark,

foll details from Col Michael Young's history 'ASC 1902-1918' Annex Q

ASC Company 109

formed; 29 August 1914 - Theatre/OoB; Western Front, 10th Div, - Role; Train, No.2 Company (HT)

disbanded; 4 March 1919 - Theatre/OoB; Salonika, 22nd Div, - Role; Train, (Wheeled Echelon) (HT)

NA file ref; WO 95/4849

I know Malta's hospitals served the Gallipoli wounded as my grandfather was in one for a month

so I presume that they also cared for wounded/sick from Salonika too, but its just a guess

By the refs to (HT) he had been working with horse transport of some form or other

best of luck

Michael

498 Coy ASC

Formed 11/8/1915.

Disbanded 31/5/1921

Theatre/Order of Battle

Home 41st Division

Division Supply Column (MT)

WO95/972*

Western Front

2nd Australian Division

Div Sup Col (MT)

WO95/4213*

Western Front, Italy

17th Div

Div Sup Col (MT)

WO95/762*

Italy, Western Front

41st Div

Div MT Coy.

*WO95 is the file number you will need at the NA Kew.