Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifle Brigade and 2nd/10th Londons

Messina1915

I have a chap, Guy Alexander Burnside(s) - I've seen both spellings, with and without the S, several times. He was originally with the Rifle Brigade and was later attatched to the 2nd/10th Londons, being killed in action with the latter on 15th September 1918 aged 19. His service number was S/36283.

According to a local newspaper, he joined the army in October 1917 and went to France in June 1918.

The reason for this post is that I know from this thread that two other pals have chaps transferred from the Rifle Brigade to the 2nd/10th Londons.

Sharpshooter's chap is 55703 Rifleman Reginald Warner DOW 26/9/18 aged 18.

DavoT's chap is 44826 Pte Joseph H. Schilling.

I'm wondering if anybody is aware of other men from the Rifle Brigade who were attached to the 2nd/10th Londons? I'm hoping that if a large group of men was transferred then it might be possible to find out the date of the transfer, and therefore whether Guy was attached to the Londons before he left England, or whether he went to France with the Rifle Brigade and was transferred later.

Also, I don't know which battalion of the Rifle Brigade he was in prior to his transfer, so if anyone could work that out from the scant information I have I would be very grateful. It's a long shot I know.

Cheers,

Carole.

Geoff's search engine has just thrown up dozens of men who died with the 2nd/10th Londons after being transferred from the Rifle Brigade. I'm off to compile a list.

If anyone knows when the transfer happened, I am very interested to know.

Cheers,

Carole.

Have given up on the list - it would take ages, there's so many, but looking at the records, a pattern is emerging - the majority were killed in August and September 1918, and many of those who have ages recorded were 18 and 19 years old.

Cheers,

Carole.

Carole,

There are pages and pages in the Rifle Brigade Medal Rolls of men that were attached to the 2/10th Londons, mostly all in the late S prefix series of numbers, and the number range denoting transfers from other units or territorials. Certainly most of the late S Prefix men had never served overseas with a Rifle Brigade Battalion.

Andy

Andy

Many thanks for all your help.

Cheers,

Carole.

Carole,

The numbers you need to be looking at are:-

Territorials attached to the Rifle Brigade,Transfers from other units and the Training Reserve

40432 to 58074

The New Army men had an S Prefix but these attachments to the 2/10th all appear in the 33000+ number range.

If you need the medal rolls let me know but there are a lot of them.

Andy

Hi Andy

I think I've sorted my problem - I know from the local paper when my chap went abroad and now I know that all his overseas service would have been with the 2nd/10th Londons, which is what I really wanted to know in the first place.

Many thanks for all your help.

Cheers,

Carole.

Hi Carole,

interesting that this came up again. My chap Schilling falls into this number lot - 40432 to 58074. Would still like to know which Rifle Brigade Bn he was in first though to finish off this part of his service.

Cheers,

David

David,

Do you have a medal index card for him??

Andy

Dav,

Found him,

Depot before going to 2/10th Londons.

Andy

post-1871-1215174939.jpg

Andy,

thanks heaps for that documentation and yes I do have his MIC. Would that mean then, that he was at the RB Depot awaiting allottment to a 'unit' after completing training?

Cheers,

David