Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RUGELEY CAMP

dazshrops

where exactly is the rugeley camp, im aware of where brocton camp was but am not too sure where rugeley was,any one have any ideas that i can google earth?

where exactly is the rugeley camp, im aware of where brocton camp was but am not too sure where rugeley was,any one have any ideas that i can google earth?

Rugeley is near Cannock Staffs.

Owen Hales

Rugeley is near Cannock Staffs.

Owen Hales

thanks lol i know but its a big place, was hoping for an exact road location ect

Ray, the postcode that you posted isn't that far off the mark, Rugeley Camp is about 2 miles to the SW of it on Brindley Heath. I don't have the exact perimeter of the camp but pretty much covered the enclosed red boundry which also includes Penkridge Bank Camp. The large red circle is the German cemetery, the smaller circle the CWGC cemetery. Anyone with interest in the camps on Cannock Chase would do well to get hold of a copy of 'A Town for Four Winters' by Whitehouse.

cheers, Jon

post-15439-1215053826.jpg

...and there were no trees there in 1914 :o

Ray, the postcode that you posted isn't that far off the mark, Rugeley Camp is about 2 miles to the SW of it on Brindley Heath. I don't have the exact perimeter of the camp but pretty much covered the enclosed red boundry which also includes Penkridge Bank Camp. The large red circle is the German cemetery, the smaller circle the CWGC cemetery. Anyone with interest in the camps on Cannock Chase would do well to get hold of a copy of 'A Town for Four Winters' by Whitehouse.

cheers, Jon

post-15439-1215053826.jpg

...and there were no trees there in 1914 :o

I Did find the camp, a large place littered with hut bases and concrete remains,drainage ditches are visable,and camp roads are clearly marked,this would have been a large impressive place in is day,out side of some of the billited areas broken and discarded cups and plates are still littered around the place,nature has certainly reclaimed the area,looking at the trees and landscape now its hard to imagine this was a hugely populated and busy camp only 80 yrs ago.

• 2 months later...

good afternoon,

If you contact the library at Rugeley, they will send you a copy of a map of Rugeley Camp - apologies if this appears twice, not too good with computers and I thought I's sent it once. The map is v.good and it enabled me to find the site of my Great-Uncles hut.

• 1 month later...

As far as I know Rugeley camp was the area surrounding the rifle range just past Penkridge bank the range only closed in the 1990.,s I know this because I shot there on several occasions.

It was closed due to pressure from a non elected self serving group who call themselves friends of Cannock Chase ending nearly a hundred years of musketry on this site!