Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corporal Charles walsh 4203 loyal north lancs

Guest smash70

Guest smash70

Hello. Could anyone please tell me where this man was (approximately) when he died? He was killed on the 10th July 1916. Also does anyone know approximately how many other people in his regiment died on that day also?

Thank you very much for your help.

Hi Jonno38, Sorry dont know where the 8th Batt Loyal North Lancs were on this date but they lost three officers and seventy four other ranks killed in action on the 10th July. Ralph.

Welcome to the Forum

According to Westlake's "British battalions on the Somme", 8th Loyals attacked towards Ovillers. "Fighting along trench towards rear of Ovillers were counter-attacked several times and made little progress. Casualties - 247. Relieved during evening."

Welcome to the Forum

According to Westlake's "British battalions on the Somme", 8th Loyals attacked towards Ovillers. "Fighting along trench towards rear of Ovillers were counter-attacked several times and made little progress. Casualties - 247. Relieved during evening."

Ovillers is correct. According to the battalion war diaries casualties wer as follows; 1 major 2 captains and 6 lieutenants killed 33 other ranks killed, 156 wounded and 49 or`s missing believed dead. Vincent

They were relieved from front line on the 11th and into dugouts in La Boiselle. It is believed the batttalion was opposed by 3 Prussian battalions during the action. Vincent

• 1 month later...
Guest drlesleytaylor@yahoo.co.uk
Hello. Could anyone please tell me where this man was (approximately) when he died? He was killed on the 10th July 1916. Also does anyone know approximately how many other people in his regiment died on that day also?

Thank you very much for your help.

Guest drlesleytaylor@yahoo.co.uk

Dear Jonno38....did you find Charles Walsh last battle? I was looking him up as I belive he is my greatgrandfathers younger brother.