Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rank in the AIF

elle72

Hello, would someone be able to list for me the order of precedence of ranks in the AIF (Im not sure if it is the same as the BEF, and in any case, I don't know the order in the BEF either :)

Thanks,

Elle

Thanks Frev, that's great! Would you happen to know if a Quarter Master Sergeant is the same as a Staff Sergeant?

Also, what is the difference between a commissioned officer and an NCO?

I know that in the old days in England you could buy a commission as an officer in the army but was that still the case in WW1?

Cheers,

Elle

Elle,

A Quartermaster Sergeant is an appointment rather than a rank and is concerned with providing stores and equipment - part of the the Quartermaster's organisation but also in each Company sized organisation where he is responsible for the company stores. Regimental Quarter Master Sergeant (RQMS) was a Warrant Officer Class II (Crown of sleeve) and the Company/Squadron/Battery Quarter Master (CQMS, SQMS, BQMS) was a Staff Sergeant (Crown over three chevrons)

Purchasing commissions in the British Army ceased around the 1870's. Never used in the Australian Army. From around late 1916 or early 1917 I believe that in the AIF all officers had to serve in the ranks before being commissioned.

Cheers

Chris

hehehe, well Im confused ;) so what does NCO stand for? I thought it was non commissioned officer? But that doesn't make sense now....

Cheers,

Elle

Elle,

Technically, Non Commissioned Officer is the term that covers the appointment of Lance Corporal and the ranks of Corporal to Staff Sergeant. Warrant Officers are next in the order of precedence between non commissioned officers and commissioned officers - they receive a warrant promoting them to their rank. Commissioned officers are from Second Lieutenant to Field Marshal and they receive a King's or Queen's commission at the time they are appointed a commissioned officer. Brigadiers and above receive an additional appointment paper promoting them to their particular rank.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for that Chris, I get it now, finally :)