Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3955 Rfn Fred Peters-2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade

dennisjnelson

late April 1912

Dear mother and father

Just a line to let you know that I got the cake alright and was very pleased with it. All the other chaps in the room wanted a piece, so I shared some of it round. This 4/- postal order is for Edie and Hetty to share between them, and you must tell little Georgie I remembered it was his birthday on Tuesday, so I will send him something next week. I was glad to hear you all enjoyed yourselves on dad's holiday, you had nice weather for it.

We had Good Friday, Saturday and Easter Monday off. I went up to the Crystal Palace to see Swindon play Barnsley in the Cup. It was a draw 0-0. I went to the Alhambra in the Evening, and spent the night at the Union Jack Club. We have just finished company training and marches. We covered 80 miles during the last three days, and were only about 10 miles from London at one place where we camped. It was very warm, and I believe it is going to be hotter than it was last year.

We had a big review last week, when a new general took over the Eastern Command, and there is another one next month, for the Durhams are being presented with new colours.

We have finished our running for this season. We came in second in the race for the championship. I was 27th out of 100 runners, doing 8 miles in just under 51 min., but I think I should have come in a lot sooner if I hadn't tripped up, and gashed my knee open. The blood all ran down over my sock, and one of the Gordon's face was covered in blood through his running into a post. We went over to our sergeant's mess and had a good blow out afterwards.

We have finished up our football and hockey, and are getting ready for cricket. Here are the results of our last football matches, and how we finished up in the leagues. (If anyone would like to see the scores and standings, just ask.)

Aren't you glad the strike is over, it has caused enough suffering. Isn't it an awful thing about the Titanic, it is the worst shipwreck ever known, and I think it was all brought about through them trying to beat the speed record. Another thing was, the passengers never thought it was anything serious, and wouldn't leave till it was too late.

I suppose Folkestone will be getting lively soon, with the visitors coming in. I thought these postcards would amuse Willie and Georgie, and they could copy them on their slates. Well, I think this is all I can find to say now, remember me to everyone, goodbye and love to all from

Fred

-------------------------------------------------

May ?

Dear mother and dad

Just a line to let you know that I received Edie's letter alright and am sending Georgie his birthday present. Those rags came in just right for me, and I shall keep my old shirts, as you say they will come in handy to you. I am glad to hear Willie likes school, I expect he is as sharp as a needle, isn't he. You seem to have some of everything in the garden, and as we are having a bit of rain now, so they ought to begin sprouting up.

We have won our first cricket match, beating East Essex CC by 58 runs. I can't find much to write about this time, we are having it easy now, while the other companies do their firing and training. I am on "sweeping" again, starting work at half past eightand leaving off at about half past eleven. We are getting some good plays here now, and there is a new picture palace opened, where they showed a film called Christopher Columbus. It cost L6000 to produce. Just lately, I have seen Young Buffalo, The Quaker Girl, Fires of Fate, The Silver King, and The White Man.

We celebrate the King's birthday soon with a Feu-de joie. We begin battalion training on July 20th, and it lasts a month. In September we go to Aldershot for 5 weeks to do brigade and divisional training, and then come back and do manoeuvres for 4 or 5 days round Cambridgeshire. So we shall get a little travel round.

I see that the Irish Fusiliers won the Folkestone and District League, but they were beaten by the Seaforths in the Hallam-Parr Shield. Penston, of the Irish Rifles has left the Army now, and signed on for Belfast Celtic, the Irish League club, and Houston, who has been playing for Linfield, another Irish club, has been bought by Everton. He played for Ireland against England last month. He has a brother in our regiment. The Sherwoods come here in October to relieve the Gordons, so we shall see some good football. Well, I will finish up now, hoping you are all well, as it leaves me at present. I remain

Your loving son Fred

----------------------------------------------------

June ?

Dear mother

We had a days holiday on Whitmonday, so I went to the Horse Show here. Our band was playing, and the 20th Hussars gave a fine turnout, steeplechasing, vaulting over their horses while they were galloping full speed, and tentpegging, also a musical ride. Our band have got a weeks engagement each at Clacton, Southend and the White City. Then they are playing at a big flying meeting next week at Chelmsford where Graham White is giving a display.

The Colchester Rifle Meeting came off last week, when we won pretty well everything, eleven cups out of sixteen, over L300, about two thirds of the money. Rifleman Bloomfield won the Eastern Command Championship, a silver challenge cup valued at L50. He was the All-Ireland champion last year. Then we won the Rock Target competition, Inter Coy, Inter regimental, officers cup, and sergeants cup. In the Inter Coy, 50 teams entered, and the first five were all ours, A,C,G,E & B. I won 5/- in one competition.

We celebrated the King's birthday last Friday, and I have sent this slip of paper, so that you can read about it. (This is one of the few things he sent home that still remains with the letters). This 4/- is for dad, I thought it would be better than sending tobacco.

We begin Battalion training next month, when we work with the Gordons. It looks like being as hot as it was last year for it, but we shan't have those mountains to scramble over, thats one blessing. I am not sure about it yet, but we may get ten days furlough presently. I see you had an election at Folkestone, so I suppose it was a bit lively. I am sending this years Chronicle, so you must let me know if you get it safely. You will see two good pictures of us at the Royal Review. The 3rd battalion football team are the same lot that got into the semifinal of the Army Cup this year. We are doing very well at cricket and beat the 20th Hussars yesterday by an innings and five runs.

I see there are going to be some changes in the garrisons at Shorncliffe & Dover. The Irish Rifles are going to Tidworth and I believe the KRR's are going too. The battalion athletic sports are held here next week, and I shall enter for some of the races, and try to win something. How is Willie getting on at school, does he "play the wag" at all. Remember me to everyone at Folkestone. Tell them I'm getting on alright. We have started another sport here, waterpolo. We lost the first match with Ipswich 5-3. We were warned again to be ready for strike duty in London if required, but it has all blown over again now. Well, I think this is about all I can find to say this time, so I will finish up, with love to all.

I remain, your loving son, Fred

These are simply wonderful examples of a young man enjoying his army life (as he refers to some posts back) - how tragic that a few more years away tragedy sets in. It makes you want to cry... thank you for sharing again.

Susan.

July ? 1912

Dear mother

I am writing to ask you whether you got my last letter alright, and whether you could send a few cleaning rags next time you write. I don't suppose we shall get a furlough now, we might about August. Some of the chaps have had ten days leave, but most of these never went home Xmas. Our sports come off in 2 or 3 days time, and I have entered for the 220, 440, 1 mile, and 3 mile races. We have won two more cricket matches since I wrote last. We beat the Naval Barracks Shotley, by an inning and 51, and the Gordon Highlanders by 7 wickets, after having 3 men out for 1 run. We have lost our first two games in waterpolo, the East Lancs and Colchester beating us, each by 2-0. We have sent a party to Bisley to shoot at the Army Rifle Meeting.

I expect you read about General White having died. The Gordon Highlanders all went from here to London to attend his funeral, as he was their colonel commanding. We had about 20 men to represent us, and so did every regiment that served in the defence of Ladysmith. I went to Leyton 2 days ago, and saw Essex make over 400 for 4 against the Australians. There were about 12,000 people there.

"Uncle Tom's Cabin" is on at the theatre here next week, so of course I shall go and see that. It was "The Sign of the Cross" this week, and "The Beggar Girl's Wedding" last week, so you see, we are getting some good plays down here. Have any of you been to the Pleasure Gardens lately. How is Olly getting on, is she still at home? Tell Edie and Hetty they had better not think of going to Canada, the boat might strike another iceberg.

We have just had news from the 2nd Batt at Rawal Pindi that Rifleman Bingham has won the middleweight boxing championship of India, and that Corporal Price was in the final of the lightweights. We begin battalion training on the 25th of this month, and it will be much easier here, for we come back to barracks every day, and don't camp out at all. We can't get much ground to manoeuvre over here. Well I don't think there is much more to write about now, so I will close this letter, hoping it finds you all well at home, as it leaves me at present

from your loving son

Fred

------------------------------------------------

July ?

Dear mother

I am sorry I kept you waiting so long for a letter, but the rags you sent have come in very handy. We are doing battalion training now, and finish up on Saturday. It was very hot last week, wasn't it, but it has got a lot cooler now. We were drenched through with sweat last Monday, and were just as wet as if we had jumped into a river. We are sending a draft out to the 2nd battalion this year, and another one early next year, I think, so I shouldn't be surprised if I have to go out. I thought it best to let you know now, so that you would be prepared for it if I do have to go. If my name goes in for the first draft, I shall be home for furlough in a month or so's time. But I will let you know more later, when I get more news.

We go to Aldershot next month to do brigade and divisional training, which with the manoeuvres, will last 6 weeks or more. We come back to this district for manoeuvres which are going to be on a big scale this year. About 100,000 troops will take part in it, including Territorials, Yeomanry etc. Aeroplanes are going to be used a lot as well. There is going to be a sort of "German Invasion" and we have got to be mobilised and drive them out.

I won 14/- in the brigade sports, open to the Eastern Command. I won 5/- for being third in the mile, 5/- for 2nd in the 440 yards drill order race (running with your rifle and equipment on) and 4/- for being 4th in the halfmile. The Gordons won 8 events, we won 7. Rfn Heron, who won us the highjump, cleared 5 ft 10 in. The Gordons winners didn't take any money prizes, as they are amateurs, and several of them run for the Southend Harriers and other clubs.

Our shooting team won about l50 at Bisley and were 3rd in the Whitehead Cup and 2nd in the Mackinnon cup. But the 3rd batt did best, they won the Roberts Cup, value L50, 2 more cups, value L25 each, and about L100 as well. Sgt Bradbury who won the Silver Jewel last year, was 6th this year. His photo is in that Chronicle, and he is in our company.

We have won 3 more cricket matches, and lost one. We beat the 16th Lancers, Chelmsford, and Royal Naval Barracks, Shotley, but Essex Club and Ground beat us by 146 runs. Buckenham and Mead, the Essex bowlers, got our team out for 95. We are not doing very well in waterpolo so far. The Gordon H'ders beat us yesterday 4-1.

Our band are still kept busy with engagements. A fortnight ago they went right up to Scarborough, Harrogate and Bradford, playing for 2 days in each place. Then they were asked to play at Newmarket Races coming back. We miss them in training, because they are never here to play us out and back. We still get plenty of good plays here. I have seen "The Sins of Society", "The Arcadians" and "Lights Out" since I wrote last. Then we have had 2 big concerts on our own, when half the town turned up to see our "comedians". Well, I think I will finish up here, and I will let you know as soon as I can whether I am for India or not.

With love to all

from Fred

N.B. Fatty Ahern brought me in the Dover paper just now, and I read about Mr Barlow being dead. I suppose all the mill people went to the funeral, didn't they, or haven't you heard anything about it.

Rushmoor Camp, Aldershot, Hants

late August ? 1912

Dear mother and father

Just a line to let you know that I am down here at Aldershot on training. Did you get my last letter alright, you haven't said. I expect you know that Edie and Hetty have written to me. They have all got places again now then, but Edie has soon got fed up with hers, and I don't wonder at it, it must be hard work there. I expect you have a lot of trouble with the "kids" now the summer holidays are on. I suppose you can't send them outdoors to play, this wet weather.

I came down here a fortnight ago, come Sunday, and we had a very good time of it the first week, but this week has been awful. We have had rain, rain all day and night. We were soaked through on Monday while we were out at Bagshot, ten miles from here, and I haven't had a chance to get properly dry yet, but I haven't caught any cold or anything. A lot of the troops have been laid up with pneumonia and rheumatism, and 6 or 7 have died through sleeping on the damp grounds. The tents don't keep out the rain much, and we only have a waterproof sheet and 2 blankets to sleep in. We haven't been out at all today (Friday), for the medical officers would not allow it. We are on a night attack tonight at ten if the weather permits. It is a pity there is so much rain, as the training is ever so much easier here than in Ireland, and it has been so much cooler. I shouldn't be surprised to see the training cancelled if this wet weather continues.

I haven't been able to go out much in Aldershot, it has been so miserable lately, but it isn't much of a place to see. It is only the camp that makes it lively, and we have to while away the evenings in the canteens or library. Each regiment gives a bit of a concert in turn, and we mix up well with each other. Last week we had plenty of cricket and football, and even went in for "rounders". We beat the Seaforths and Royal Berks in cricket, and lost to the Krr's from Aldershot. t is rather early yet for football, but we did well to beat the Irish Rifles 3-0, the Leicesters 1-0, the Oxfords 4-2, and the KRR's from Shorncliffe 2-0. We lost to the Sherwoods 3-1, and the South Wales Borderers 5-1.

The Colchester brigade (the East Lancs, Durham LI, Gordons, and us) are in one field, and the Shorncliffe lot are on one side of us, and the Dover troops the other. Counting the troops styationed here, there are over 50,000 under canvas. Brigades training finishes this week, so that next week, when divisional training starts, we shall be fighting with or against the Dover and Shorncliffe division. We stay here till manoeuvres start on Sept 16, when we go to Cambridge. These last five days, so that altogether we shall have been away from barracks for 6 weeks or more. It is an everyday sight to see aeroplanes here, they are always flying round, sometimes very high, and sometimes just above the tops of the tents. They seem as safe as houses to look at. The big army balloons are often up in the air. There are 3 here. The big sheds are only half a mile away at Farnborough, and they look as big as the Crystal Palace, they are built in the same form, but show up snow white, like the White City. We get about a weeks rest down here, for there is a rifle meeting and sports days on.

Well mother, we are not sending a draft to India this year now, so I shall have another Xmas at home, I think. The time has seemed to go quick to me. This 2/- is for Florrie, I never had chance to send it last week, so I expect she thought I had forgotten her. But never mind, better late than never. I suppose this wet weather has driven the visitors away from Folkestone, hasn't it. Did you read about the town crier having the laugh over Lord Radnor. I read about it in the Daily Mail. It appears that Lord Radnor forbid him to cry on the beach, as the foreshore belonged to him, so the old man got the better of him by rowing along the beach close in.

I see Kent have done very well in cricket at Dover this week. Did dad see any of it. I suppose you read about General Booth being dead. There is as much fuss made of him as though it was the King. Rich and poor alike seem to miss him. It shows that sensible people don't make game of the Salvation Army, they know what good it does. Well I think this is about all I can find to say now so I will draw this letter to a close, hoping you are all well at home, as it leaves me at present

I remain your loving son Fred

------------------------------------------------------

Rushmoor Camp, Aldershot

Sunday Sept 8th

Dear mother

I thought I might as well write and tell you all not to send any more letters till about the 24th of this month for we shall be knocking about all over the show for the next two weeks and the letters might be waylaid. I suppose Edie and Hetty got the postcards alright, they must let me know if they liked them, and whether they could pick me out. (I believe these are the postcards in post #5) The photo I am sending you was taken last week, and shows us marching across the Long Valley, with the buglers in front, but I am not there, we were right behind.

We were out here from Thursday morning till Friday noon, but have done nothing since. We go to Longmoor, 16 miles away, on Tuesday morning, and are on a field day there from Wednesday morning till Thursday morning, under the Inspector General. I daresay, I shall see Stonehenge while we are down that way. We march back here (Rushmoor) on Friday, Saturday is a holiday, and on Sunday we pack up and go to Cambridge in the afternoon. Manoeuvres last from Monday till Friday, and then we march back to Colchester again where we arrive on Sunday the 22nd. My address will be "Meeanee Barracks" again then. The King is going on manoeuvres with us, so I shall see him again this year. You are sure to read plenty in the papers about the manoeuvres, so there is no need for me to describe them, but there is to be a kind of "German Invasion", and I think we are the "Germans".

I thought dad would like to know we won some more football matches here. We beat the RAMC 2-0, Camerons 1-0, and Hampshires 4-1, and lost to the ASC 2-1, and Irish Fusiliers 1-0. We are getting nice dry weather now, but I expect there will be plenty os swamps in the manoeuvre area, especially round Norwich. The area is ninety odd square miles, and extends into 6 counties. There are about 70,000 troops engaged, 3000 cyclists (Territorials), 3 big airships and about 14 aeroplanes. I don't think there is much more to say now, except that I hope this letter finds you all well, as it leaves me at present, I remain

Your loving son Fred

P.S. If you do write at all, my address after next Sunday will be "Rifle Bde On Manoeuvres", but I should not write if I were you, any news can wait for a week unless it is special. Excuse pencil, we can't get any pens here now, as the library has gone back to Colchester, and I don't want to go out to the Soldiers Home in town tonight just to write this.

---------------------------------

The next letter, describing the manoeuvers, is in post # 22

Meeanee Barracks, Colchester

early Nov ? 1912

Dear mother and father

I must write and tell you that I am going to India after all, and the draft goes just before Xmas. The news only came out two days ago, and we went before the doctor this morning to see whether we were fit or not. The draft is about 120 strong, and there are two more drafts to go out after Xmas, so if I hadn't been in this lot I should have been in the next. It doesn't make much difference, only we shall have Xmas on the water, just past Gibraltar. I shall be home on furlough on the 8th (Friday), and go back on the 9th Dec. we leave here on the 19th Dec., and it takes over 21 days to get to Bombay. Then we have got another weeks railway journey to Rawal Pindi to join the 2nd Battalion. These will be coming home in under three years time, and most likely I shall come home with them, unless I take on for 12 years. Fatty Ahern is going as well, but Dick Bean doesn't go this time. I am glad I am going for I shall see a bit of the world, and it is better than stopping at home all your soldiering. Well I think this is all I need to say at present, any other news will keep till Friday, so goodbye for now, love to all

from your son Fred

------------------------------------------------------------

Wed. Dec 18

Dear mother and father

I must write and tell you that I arrived here quite safe. The train got into London Bridge at 5:30, and I met two chaps there, and as they said it was only 10 minutes walk to Liverpool Street, we didn't take the bus. We went into Dirty Dicks while we were waiting for the Colchester train and met one of our colour sergeants, who had finished up in the army while we were on furlough. He treated us to some drinks, and told us we should get on very well indeed out there. He is getting a job as a "commissionaire" in the Veterans Corps and he advised us to join this later on, as we were sure of a job outside, either at home or in India. We caught the 6:25 from Liverpool Street and got into Colchester at ten minutes to eight. There were about fifty of us caught this train. All of the draft came back except two, they have deserted.

We have had a holiday since, and we have passed the time playing football or hockey, and we have been out in town every night. We leave here tomorrow at 5 in the morning, the band plays us to the station. We go through Stratford way, (not London), and stop at Aldershot to pick up a draft of KRR's. We get into Southampton about 11:30, and we practically cross the platform and step into the boat, like we did at Holyhead. We are allowed visitors for three hours in the afternoon, when the order is given "All ashore". Then we move off down the river a little way, where we stop for the night, and start on our voyage early in the morning.

We got a tea given us at the Soldiers Home on Monday, a farewell concert by the Dramatic Club last night, and tonight we have a supper given us in the canteen, so we are having a very good time of it. I drew 7/- last week and we draw about 8/- this evening. The rest of our money we get before we go on the boat, and we get some while we are on the water. I have got about 3L odd to draw, so I will send you some money the first chance I get. We get our full pay on board, nothing stopped for messing or washing, and we sleep in hammocks. We are going to be inoculated on board ship. I daresay you were wondering when I was going to write, but I thought I would wait till we got full details.

You haven't sent any Xmas pudding along I see, but it doesn't matter. Don't send anything now. I have had several slices of pudding and some cakes and tarts that some of the other fellows have had sent to them. We always share our parcels round. We are all going out tonight to have a good "spree" before we go. It will be for the last time here. We have got a party to see us off at Southampton, the sergeant major, colour sergeants and lots of chaps who are on furlough there, besides some from the depot, Winchester.

Since I have been on furlough our football team has fell away a lot. Three of them are for the draft, and two are crippled. These are the last matches

Rifle Bde 1 DLI 2 (3rd round Army Cup)

" " 0 DLI 2 (Military League)

" " 1 20th Hussars 5 (ML)

" " 2 Gordon H'ders 0 (ML)

" " 0 HMS Ganges 0 (Essex and Suffolk League)

" " 1 Harwich and Parkeston 3 (ESL)

" " 4 RFA 1 (ESL)

" " 1 Chelmsford 2 (Friendly)

" " 2 Colchester 0 (Pearson's Charity Cup)

Our 3rd batt are in the 4th round Army Cup

I don't think there is much more to say. I don't know whether we shall get any letters on the way. If you write within a week I may, if so, address them "RIMS Dufferin" Southampton to Karachi or Bombay". But the best thing you can do is address them to "Rfn F Peters, 2nd Batt. Rifle Brigade, Rawal Pindi, India".

I shall get the letter then when we reach there in a months time.

I wih you all a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year, and I will write again as soon as I can, and let you know what sort of Xmas I had on the Water, and whether we had rough weather going through the Bay of Biscay. I will close this letter now, with fondest love to all

from your son

Fred

P.S. Remember me to Cecil, Alf, Lanny, Bob, all at Cheriton, and last, but not least, Aunt Harriet and Company.

-----------------------------------------------

The next letter is in post #21, the trip to India

E Coy

2nd Batt, Rifle Bde

West Ridge, Rawal Pindi, India

March 17 1913

Dear mother and father

I hope you are all quite well at home, as it leaves me at present. I am expecting a letter from you soon, but I thought I would write again and send you this photo and postcards. The photo is of my section, No. 2 E Coy, And I expect you will be able to pick me out easily enough. It seems years since I had a letter, your postcard found me at Port Said. I am sending it back to you so that you can see how it traveled about.

We finished up those manoeuvers I spoke about on the 26th of last month, and on the 5th of this month we went out again on what were called "medical manoeuvers". These were for practising doctors and ambulance men. Our brigade, which consists of our battalion and the 5th, 7th and 8th Ghurkhas, who are "Rifle Bde" battalions. they do the same kind of drill as we do, and are the smartest of the Indian regiments. They live in Nepaul, an independant state in the Himalayas. They are a tribe of Tibetans, more like Japanese, short and well built, different altogether to the ordinary Hindus, who are tall and lanky with legs like broomsticks. They volunteer to serve the Indian government and get as much pay as we do, with other priveleges. They skip about on the mountains like goats and have done a lot of good service on the NW frontier and especially on the Abor expedition. They are good at all our sports, and their team drew with ours at football 0-0, and beat us a few times in smaller matches.

On the last manoeuvers during the time the fighting was on the umpires would ride along the lines and give out tickets here and there, with such things as "wound in the head", "shot in the thigh" etc. The lucky people who got these would then hand over their ammunition to the section commanders, and lay down and wait for the men with stretchers and dhoolies to come up. The slightly wounded were allowed to rejoin the ranks after being patched up, but the rest were taken right into the Pindi hospital by train, and took no further part in the manoeuvers. They had a nice little time of it, and dodged a lot.

The country is a lot rougher here than at home, up here where we are, and the hills (called khuds out here) want some climbing up. some of them are over 1000 Ft high, so it is like climbing up three times the height of Shakespeare cliff and down the other side, and when you get to the bottom, you find another one right in front of you, and dozens of others all round. We wear short knicks out here and our knees and hands were one mass of scratches by the time we'd finished up through scrambling among boulders and bushes. We nearly fell down and broke our necks, especially one dark night when we had to find picquets, and clamber up in the dark. It was like the pictures of Wolfe taking Quebec, one being in front with the lantern and the others behind. You have to be careful not to slip or loosen any rocks, especially if there are other people coming behind you. To crown it all when we were settled up top it came on to rain. And it does rain when it starts out here. In two or three minutes we were like drowned rats. The thunder kicked up a terrible row echoing among the hills, and it was pitch dark except when the lightning flashed up. you couldn't move about or you would have fell over the top of the khud and gone to the bottom very likely unless a big rock stopped you. We were like this from 10 in the night till 7 next morning (Sunday). When all your troops had gone on in front we had to fall in as rearguard. Our kits had to be loaded on mules and camels, and it was a hard job in the dark. You had to be careful not to get a kick from them. It would very likely "put you out of mess" as we say in the army, in other words "put your lights out".

We had a 17 mile march back to Rawal Pindi, and we got in at 2 in the afternoon, quite dry, for the sun came out when we were on the road. We had hot baths and changed our clothes and I never suffered any effects from it. You have to be careful out here though and take plenty of exercise to keep you fit. If you lay about idle you are liable to be taken ill with anything.

We shall be moving up to Kuldana, 40 miles away, next month, for the hot season is beginning to set in now. It is over 100 in the shade, and it will soon be pretty nearly 130. It is hotter still, further down on the plain. Our 4th battalion are out here now. They arrived at Bombay from Khartoum on the 5th and went to Umballa, about 300 miles south of us. When they move up in the hills to Dagshai, we shall be quite close to them though. We have all subscribed so much to give them a "buster". I daresay this battalion will be moving from here next season, about November twelvemonth, as their time is nearly up out here. They will probably do six months at Aden, and then come to England. f I don't come with them, I shall be drafted to the 4th, and finish my time out here.

Our company is struck off duty for musketry down, and we shall fire our course before we go up the hills. Our rifle meeting is being held, and I have won 3 rupees so far for a score of 16 out of poss. 20 at 600 yds. The light is very deceiving out here, if the sun is behind your back, objects look very near, and stand out clear, but if the sun is in front everything is hazy.

I have joined the IOGT's (Good Templars). I should say more than 3 parts of the battalion are either in the RAJA, Good Templars, or Rechabites, all three being temperance societies. In the Good Templars we pay 1 ruppe 8 annas (2/-) a quarter, that is only 2d a week, and for this we get library, games, concerts, etc., and you are looked after when you leave the service. We generally play cricket, football or hockey in the afternoons, and have indoor games, suppers, and little concerts in the evening. It is the only amusement you can get out here, for there are no theatres or picture palaces, except at places like Delhi, Calcutta, or Bombay.

We do our shopping at the "bazaars" which is the Hindu name for a collection of shops. It wouldn't do to pay what they ask for a thing, you must beat them down to about half price and of course, as we are "gentlemen" out here, the "errand boys" must carry "the sahibs" purchases back to barracks. They always call us "sahibs" and touch their caps, or rather turbans to us. All the people in this part of the Punjab are Mohammadans, and they are always to be seen praying, salaming, or sitting in their mud houses reading their bibles, called "Korans". Hundreds of them make their fortunes out of the troops here. We have natives to do "sweepers", library, officers and sergeants mess' fatigues, while we loaf about kicking a football. then thereis a lot of "wallahs" knocking about the barracks rooms. The "nappee" comes round before you are awake and shaves you, there is the bed picking wallah, the cut corn and nails wallah, the boot wallah, and the char wallah. I don't suppose you understand these native words, we use them every minute of the day here. "Backsheesh" means "something for nothing", such as a tip, dhobe is the washing man, chip is a rupee,

eck-anna 1 anna (1d), dosee or do'anna (2d), brundhook (rifle) char (tea) and so on.

We are about 4 miles from the town here which is in two parts, the native city, and the European quarter called The Mall. There are the houses of the army officers, magistrates, Civil Service agents, railway officials and such like. The houses look pretty, red, yellow, or blue painted, with porches running all the way round, and lattice work instead of windows. In the porches are generally small tables with fruit and iced drinks on.

We get very good food out here, and always a big dinner. Extras for breakfast, either eggs or meat cutlets, 3 times a week. Then for dinner there is either beef or mutton, plenty of vegetables, potatoes, carrots, onions, cabbage, and rice or currant duff to finish up. For tea, bread and butter and jam.

This is a well cultivated place, wheat is grown everywhere, with the rain to make it grow fast, and then the sun to ripen it. Water is stored up here in big tanks or reservoirs, so you don't hear of any famines here now, especially as there are railways everywhere to take corn from a place where there is plenty to where they have none. Meat is very cheap, about 3d a lb. We get plenty of vegetables to prevent scurvy, and we get the best butter 1/4 a lb., no margarine. We cannot get fish here, except tinned. Dates, lemons, tea, and oranges are cheap enough, although the oranges up here are different to what you get at home. They are really limes, and are between a lemon and an orange.

I think this is about all I have to say now. Perhaps dad would like to see these results of matches we have played lately.

Football

2nd batt RB 2........West Kents 1 (1st rd Murray Cup)

.............RB 0........Royal Sussex 2 (2nd rd)

.............RB 1........Durham LI 1 (Lahore Tournament)

.............RB 0..........DLI..........0 (Lahore Tour)

.............RB 2..........DLI..........1 (LT)

.............RB 3.........21st Lancers 4 (LT)

.............RB 2.........4th KRR.....2 (Garrison League)

.............RB 3..........4th RB.......1 (Friendly)

In hockey, we have won 3 and lost 3

In cricket, we beat the Middlesex, 57 Sikhs and KRRs, but lost with West Kents and Essex (2 runs) and drew with 5th Ghurkhas

I hope you are all well and that Edie and Hetty are still at their places. I suppose Percy is top of the class at school. Tell him his football team are no good. I saw in the paper that they lost again. Do Georgie and Willie still paint and draw? I expect they have forgotten me now, haven't they. Show them the photo and see if they can pick me out. Remember me to everyone at Shorncliffe and Cheriton. I never sent Hetty or Edie and Olly anything for their birthdays, but I will send you all something later on. Tell them they can't expect shawls and silks yet, for I haven't hardly got out here.

I might say that we get all the English papers out here 3 weeks after you do. I read all about poor Captain Scott, wasn't it sad. I expect some of you have seen pictures of it haven't you. The war doesn't seem to come to a finish, does it, and now there is a revolution in Mexico. Have the suffragettes done any damage at Folkestone, they are getting worse than ever. Well I expect you will take two or three hours to read all this lot, so I have better finish up now, with fondest love to all

from your affectionate son-Fred

P.S. I am sending a few postcards and some pictures of our 4 battalions that I thought would interest dad. You might let me know if you get them all safely and whether the photo was damaged at all. It cost 8 annas to send. I should take care of the postcards if I were you. You will have a few albums full by the time I've finished sending them.

As promised here is an overview of the Service of William George Smith Rifle Brigade.

Peter,

Did you happen to make a note of the microfilm number and the relevant folio numbers and (dare I ask) have you had a chance to ask whether there might be a photo of William in the offing?

V.

They are a fascinating series of letters. I bet Victoria is still in clover!

Steve, you have absolutely no idea! My grandfather was only 11 years old when Charlie was killed. As he was the youngest of the family, it was his older sister who inherited everything of Charlie’s and “everything” of Charlie’s ended up on the top of a bonfire after she died. All we had by which to remember him was a tattered, dog-eared photograph. No service record, no letters, no medals – nothing.

Many of the men who fought that day (and survived) believed that the action had taken place at Hill 60 and so for eighty-five years that’s where Charlie died. Researching all that happened on 9th May 1915 has been an absolute labour of love, but nothing compares to the information which letters such as these can supply. It has filled so many gaps and, for the first time, has given us a real and accurate insight into what Charlie was experiencing in the run-up to the war years.

So, am I still in clover? Oh yes!

V.

Hello Victoria

Apologies for not answering sooner I have been in Africa. Looking at my notes I do not appear to have noted the reel, however there are three reels for William Gilberts and the middle one is all William Gilberts and the first set of papers on the reel is our man.

I hope to see the family this weekend when I will ask again about pictures. Apparently William's son is still alive so I hope to get in touch with him if I can. I will let you know the outcome obviously

Peter

Kuldana, Punjab, India (no date)

Dear mother

I was surprised to get Edie's letter bullying me for not writing, for I had done so. I got her other letter and the ones that Flo and Hetty wrote, and as I thought one letter would answer the lot, I wrote to Edie at her place, 54 Earls Avenue, and sent a parcel with two new army shirts in for dads birthday, and some postcards besides. I thought she would bring them round home when it was her night out. So you can guess how mad I felt to hear she never got the parcel or even the letter. I can't make out what became of them.

I am sending this 10/- for dad to make up for his not getting the shirts, and the half-a-crown is for Georgie because I never sent anything for him before. I am sorry I disappointed Olly, Edie and Hetty, but we can't get much in the way of silk up here, although we are almost in Cashmere now, but never mind. I can send something when I get down below again in November.

I am keeping in the best of health still, although it is funny weather. We walk about in singlets in the daytime, and overcoats and jerseys in the night. The monsoons have set in now and we get plenty of storms. There isn't much amusement up here, we have had two or three concerts, and some pictures came round last week. We can ride for miles over the hills on mules, and catch butterflies as big as our hands, all colours. Then there are mosquitoes, centipedes, scorpions and lizards.

I will write again soon, so goodbye all, and remember me to everyone. I will close now, hoping this finds you all well, from your loving son

Fred

----------------------------------------------

Aug 17

Dear mother and father

I thought I would write you another letter as I have nothing else to do. Did you get my last letter safely with the money in it. I suppose that parcel hasn't turned up at all, has it. I hope you will take care of these postcards that I send from here, and any you have still got of Winchester, Colchester, Dublin, Aldershot etc. If you haven't got a big album for them, let me know, and I will send the money for one. They cost twice as much out here.

I will send you some silk when I get down below again, as we can't get any up here. No white troops are allowed in this state, and the officers have to get special passes from the Indian government. This battalion will be going home next October, most likely to Colchester, but we don't know for certain yet. I shall either join the 4th battalion at Ambala, 200 miles away, in the Punjab, or come home as far as Malta, and join the 1st again, who come out from Colchester next year.

Have you been away for your holiday yet, if you haven't, I should certainly go to Earls Court this year. There is an army and navy exhibition on there. you will see big model battleships, submarines, airships, armoured trains, entrenched camps, bands, guns and all sorts of things. I am keeping in the best of health up here. We have had the monsoons and it has been raining for over two months with hardly a break. It is lovely and fine now though.

We are on company training which lasts about four hours each day. We go out to camp at Banni, 18 miles away in a weeks time. We are out there for 15 days. It is about 120 degrees in the shade down in Rawal Pindi. We left there on April 16th and marched up here in three days, it is 43 miles distance. Of course we marched in the early morning, before the sun got up too strong. We march here in shirtsleeves and knicks and we have plenty of climbing to do. The hills out here are higher than the mountains in England.

Well, we have plenty of spare time here, a proper gentleman's life. It is better to soldier under the Indian government. You get every Thursday off and there is no scrubbing out here owing to its causing ague. The dhobi (washerman) washes your clothes by banging them on rocks, so you can bet they don't last very long. Then you can always send a boy to the bazaar to do your shopping.

There is plenty of amusement up here. The Indian rajahs give all the valuable cups for sport. In football, our team got into the semi-final of the Murree Cup, the army cup of northern India. We lost to the 3rd KRR's 3-2. The 4th battalion were beaten in the other semi-final by the 1st Durham's 4-3. In cricket we have won every match, beating the Staffords, 3rd KRR's, 4th KRR's, RGA, 21st Lancers, Sussex, Liverpool's and Yorkshire Reg't. In polo our officers have won two cups, beating the 17th and 21st Lancers. In hockey we have won 4 and lost 2. In the Northern Army meeting we won the machine gun competition, hurdle race, khud race, 3 miles, long jump, and cricket ball, but the KRR's won with 250 pts, we were 2nd with 235 pts.

There are plenty of dances, whist drives, and concerts up here. Then I have joined the RAJA, and the Good Templars, and the lodges of each regiment pay each other visits and entertain each other to games, concerts and teas. We have had a games tournament in the battalion. I won 7 games of draughts, but lost in the 8th round. I was knocked out at

(?udo) in the 3rd round, dominoes in the 2nd, and shove-apenny in the 9th. Then there were billiards, cards, quoits, and darts etc. I have won 10 rupees 13/4 out here in running. So you can see we get plenty of amusement to take the place of theatres.

It is better to leave the beer alone in this country, it only ruins your health and wastes your money. There are only a few that drink in this battalion. Another thing we go in for a lot is fly dodging. We can catch all sorts of pretty butterflies and moths out here.

Bandsman Rice, who is boxing Bombardier Wells, was in our 4th battalion. Wells has bought his brother out of the 3rd battalion in Tipperary, he travels round with him as a sparring partner.

The 1st battalion at Colchester were made up as Arabs at a big show there lately. In the nighttime they charged the British square, yelling and firing guns, and throwing spears. Of course the Gordons and East Lancs beat them away and the 20th Hussars chased them right across the park. There were a lot lying "dead" on the ground at the finish.

Well mother, I don't expect you to read all about this football and cricket, but I thought perhaps dad would. I hope you are all getting on alright, also all our relations and friends. We march down to Pindi again the first week in Nov. and we shall soon have Xmas here then. It will be the first one I have spent in barracks. They are just about beginning manoeuvres at home now. We don't do any here this year. There is one thing out here, we can travel cheap. To go about 200 miles only costs us about 5/- so we can go on furlough to places like Lucknow, Delhi, Lahore, etc. easily.

Well, I hope you will excuse this scribble, the pens aren't much good here. They are "Made in Germany." You wouldn't think they would get right out here, would you. Well goodbye once more, mother, hoping this finds you all well, from your affectionate son

Fred

--------------------------------------------------

Sun. Sept 14 1913

Dear mother

I thought I would write and tell you that I got Edie's last letter safely, and I shall expect a letter from you soon to know if you got your postal order alright. I have given that parcel up too, I can't make out what became of it.I had to pay an anna (1d) on those papers, but that was because they came overland, otherwise I should not have had to. As it happens I had seen the Mirror before, because we get all the papers sent out here, so you needn't trouble to send any more out except the Express. I suppose you have all finished your holidays now, did you go to London at all, I should like to know if you went to Earl's Court.

Well, I read in the papers about those railway accidents. I suppose dad heard about the one at Colchester. The driver and fireman were killed, and a signalman got the sack over it after 30 years on the railway. Then there has been a big mine disaster in Scotland, wasn't it awful. I expect all the visitors are leaving Folkestone now, aren't they. It will be dull there.

We have finished company training. We have been out under canvas for a fortnight at Mari, 25 miles from here. We had fine weather but it was very hot, there being nothing to see but bare rocks, no trees or bushes anywhere.

There is the Murree Hockey Tournament on now, so we go and watch the games in the evening. We have beaten the combined RHA and RGA in the 1st round 4-1. Then there are boxing and cricket tournaments coming off. We had holidays on Aug 25th, the regimental birthday, and Aug 27th, Bergendal Day. Bergendal was a battle in the South African War which this battalion won by itself before the other troops came up.

I want you to take care of the postcards I send home, and you will have a good selection. You will be able to read more about India in my old books than I can tell you. You can get an idea how big it is when it is 14 times as big as the British Isles, and contains nearly 300,000,000 people. Well, mother, I think I will finish this letter now, hoping it finds you quite well, as it leaves me at present, with love to all

from your affectionate son

Fred

------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that's the last of the letters, other than 4 sent to him by his sisters and brother in 1914 that were returned. I suppose he may have brought them back with him in Sept/Oct. For some reason, there's a gap between Sept 14 1913 and Aug 26 1914 when they got orders to leave India.

I hope you enjoyed this as much as I have

Dennis

Dennis

It has been said before but I will say it again thank you for transcribing these letters they illustrate how literate people were in the great age of letter writing and give a wonderful insight into military life pre war. I am fifth generation British Army my Great Great Grandfather served in India and my Great Grandfather together with his brothers were born there several of my great uncles and uncles also served and I have served in Afghanistan. You have given a glimpse into a bygone world.

Peter

Echoing everyone's replies. This has been a truly fascinating insight into a bygone past. And all the more poignant as we now know what was looming each year on that Fred wrote home.... God rest them all.

Thank you Dennis and Victoria.

Susan.

• 1 month later...

I've managed to find the last letter Fred wrote home. A cousin had received a copy from Fred's brother Willie about 23 years ago when she was visiting England and doing some family research. Apparently, this was all he had and couldn't understand why she was interested.

May 7 1915

Dear Olive

I must let you know that I received your letter last night, but the parcels have not made their appearance yet. Well dear, I cannot stop to write much more now as we leave these billets this afternoon and make a big attack tomorrow morning. I hope I pull through alright and I stand just as much chance of getting through this lot as I did the last one. This is a very big affair, and if it turns out alright, should practically mean the beginning of the end for the Germans.

Our division, the Indians, and the French are all making attacks, and you will read all about it in the papers within a few days. A chum will write if anything happens to me, which I hope does not. Of course, we are in God's hands, and if we are to go, we will. Fate! But anyhow, we all look on the cheerful side of things out here dear, as I hope you do at home. So, au revoir, Olly, hoping to write again in a few days time, and give you all the news, goodbye.

xxxxxxxxxxxx x one for the boy

P.S. Send out one of my photos, one you had enlarged, next time you write, as my chums would like one.

Bet Hetty fancies herself in khaki, eh, dear! xxx

-------------------------------

Still searching, Dennis

I also believe that I have identified one of the men from the postcard in post #5. front row,right

W.E. Thompson #3998,2nd Bn., Rifle Brigade,from 87 Dover St, Folkestone KIA 31 Jan. 1915 age 25

thompson.jpg.dad3510a57ad5714c241cce0c2c1338d.jpg

newspaper clipping from an old scrapbook of my grandmother's. Must have been a family friend.

Dennis

• 1 month later...
Dennis,

Your great-uncle is one of my 9th May men!

Frederick was killed on 9th May 1915 at Rouges-Bancs, Fromelles during the northern attack of the Battle of Aubers Ridge.

V.

Pals,

I have posted a map of the area of this battle in another Topic about a 2/KRRC rifleman who fell in the southern attack: Battle of Aubers Ridge, May 1915 - general features

The northern attack Start Line is the area in purple. Apologies that the edge of the base map I used is not slightly further north to show 2/RB's trenches a little more generously.

It should still be useful to help people with the localities though :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Mark

• 6 months later...

To people interested in the Aubers Ridge battles.

I picked up a 1:10,000 trench map of the Aubers battlefields (December 1915 trenches) yesterday. If any of our interested parties want parts of the map scanned for them, give me a shout. (Subject to fitting it on an A4 scanner...)

Extent of map:

NW : le Drumez

SW : Croix-Barbee

NE : NE of Petillon and Le Trou

SE : le Plouich

The extent of the front line is from just west of Pietre/south of Mauqissait to a tad west of Fromelles.

Steve.

• 2 years later...

Here are the links to the postcards.Can anyone confirm that these men are Rifle Brigade at either Colchester or Aldershot.It would help me date them.

Fred Peters is standing 3rd from right in "cleaning rifles"

and 5th from left in "peeling potatos"

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll403/d...13/ww1fred2.jpg

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll403/d...l13/ww1fred.jpg

thanks, Dennis

I know it's been a long time since you put up all this wonderful correspondence. Is there any chance you could have a photo of the 1st Battalion at Richmond Barracks dublin

I know it's been a long time since you put up all this wonderful correspondence. Is there any chance you could have a photo of the 1st Battalion at Richmond Barracks dublin

Unfortunately no, those postcards are the only 2 remaining of the ones he sent home.

Dennis

Unfortunately no, those postcards are the only 2 remaining of the ones he sent home.

Dennis

Here is one for you from Richmond Barracks 1911.

post-64674-0-67870900-1312670129.jpg

• 3 months later...
Guest smyth.m@sky.com

Hi,

I've read Freds letters with great interest. I stumbled across them as I was searching for information on my Great Grandfather. He was Pte Thomas Penston of 2nd Bn Royal Irish Rifles and he fits in with the Penston mentioned in one of Freds letters, as he was based in Dover at 1910 - 1912 and left in 1912 before being called up in 1914 for the deployment to France.

Thanks for posting the letters.

• 4 months later...
Guest pennyfellow

Hi,

I've read Freds letters with great interest. I stumbled across them as I was searching for information on my Great Grandfather. He was Pte Thomas Penston of 2nd Bn Royal Irish Rifles and he fits in with the Penston mentioned in one of Freds letters, as he was based in Dover at 1910 - 1912 and left in 1912 before being called up in 1914 for the deployment to France.

Thanks for posting the letters.

Guest pennyfellow

Hi,

Thanks for posting the letters

HI,IAM LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ON .PTE.THOMAS PENSTON (RIFLEMAN WHO WORKED IN GUINNESS AFTER THE WAR IN THEIR ENGINEERING SECTION) FOR MY FAMILY TREE, SEE MY TREE ON TRIBALPAGES.COM ( IRISH PENSTONS FAMILY TREE) THANKS

• 1 year later...

Hello, I can clear up the mystery of Bert Pearson , who wrote the original letters. I am his Grandson and have returned to the UK from Australia to help my siblings with my parents who are now in assisted care. Amongst my father's papers are the details relating to his father, Bert Pearson.

Bert is pictured in my avatar.

Born in Whitby, Yorkshire in 1895. He joined the Rifle Brigade in September 1914 and trained in Kent. He was in the Battle of Neuve Chappelle in 1915. He was in the machine gun section. My father insists that he was captured at that battle but this does not appear to be true as the paperwork indicates being a POW from July 1916. I am wondering whether he participated in the Battle of Fromelles in some peripheral role? Means a bit for me as an Australian. The 2nd Btn is not listed in the order of battle of Fromelles (8th Division - 25th Brigade).

We have some good photos of Laventie, church, Btn HQ but undated. He was not a letter writer it appears but his POW photos are extensive with scenes from the camp on postcards as well as 30 plus postcards of individuals and groups including Australians - some identified, most not.

I wondering whether this is of interest to a Museum and whether we can check up on the date he was captured.

Bert returned to Middlesbrough after the war and became an insurance agent. He died in 1954. He had a family of two children. My father was in the RAF in WWII. He was in the promotional video for D Day celebrations several years ago.

• 7 years later...

Found another letter that was printed in the Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate and Cheriton Herald on April 3rd 1915 after the Battle of Neuve Chapelle.

The British Advance

Folkestone Man At Neuve Chapelle

We have had a busy time since I wrote last, and have been in the thick of it, having had enough experience to last us a lifetime. We left our resting place on the night of the 9th March, and took up a position about 300 yards from the Germans, in a part of the line we had never been before. 

About 7:30 am. their trenches were heavily bombarded by 300 guns-heavy and light-for half an hour. Their line was one huge cloud of yellow smoke caused by the terrible lyddite, and the noise was deafening. Directly they had finished the Berks charged their first line and occupied it. 

Then it was our turn. Taking things as coolly as you like, we raced over the ground, right through the Berks, and into the village. The Germans were  completely surprised and those who were not killed were stupefied by the lyddite fumes, and were only too pleased to surrender. We entrenched ourselves just in front of the village, where we still remain, having gained about 1200 yards of ground along a three mile front. 

I cannot tell you about some of the horrible things I saw. There was terrible slaughter, mutilated bodies lying about everywhere. they have since been buried, and the place is like one huge cemetery. The Germans losses are very heavy indeed--somewhere about 12,000, I think, but we lost hundreds of poor chaps as well.

Our battalions losses were about 350 killed and wounded. I am thankful to say I am spared, although some of my poor chums have been killed by bullets or blown to pieces by shells within a few yards of me. The platoon of "A" Company that I was in has about 11 left out of 40, and on the machine guns there are 17 left out of a strength of 45. You will read all about the battle in the papers. I have only seen the official accounts of it so far. 

I was struck by a splinter of shell which went through my equipment and clothes, and gashed my thigh. It was not very bad though. Two poor chaps on either side were killed. It was awful. I have had enough of war to suit me anyhow. One of my chums who worked in the paper mill with me is killed. His brother in the Buffs was also killed a few weeks ago. My other chum was wounded in the leg. 

On the morning of the 11th the Huns made a strong counter attack along the whole line. We let them come to 100 yards of our parapets and then  mowed them down with our machine guns and rifles. Dozens were piled upon the barbed wire, and others who could not get back surrendered. We had about 1,700 give in to us, and many who could speak English said they were fed up with the War. They had eaten nothing for 5 days, and seemed very thankful when we gave them biscuits, jam, bully, etc.

They did not seem such a bad lot of chaps at all, and you don't want to believe all the papers say about them. Of course, they are all that's bad now. Where it is, a few here and there give a lot a bad name. Many were but boys about 16, others were old men about 60, I should say. 

I expect you will like to know what I felt like. well, of course, we all felt pretty funky while we were waiting for the order to advance. But directly we got on the move the feeling wore off altogether. Our Battalion, you would have thought, was on a field day, as they were laughing, shouting, and smoking fags. We had captured the village in under 2 hours. There were a lot of Germans hiding in the cellars, and we had to train 1 of our machine guns on them before they would come out. 

We had Indian troops with us, the Charwals, who are similar to Ghurkhas.  It was as much as their officers could do to get them to retire, they love fighting so much. The Germans waved plenty of white flags, but we ignored them, unless they threw down their arms and held up their hands. They have caught us so many times like that. In the dugouts were loaves of black bread, big polonies, etc. Of course, we had a gaff with the sausages, sticking them on the tops of our bayonets, and waving them in the air. We are entrenched again about 300 yards from each other.

There will be some very heavy casualty lists before the War is finished, I am afraid, and although it may seem selfish to say so, I hope I am not one of them. 

P.S.-- I could have sent home dozens of German helmets, bullets, badges, etc., if it was possible. It does seem a shame I can't lug them about with me. You must excuse my writing; my hand is a bit shaky, as the Germans are sending over "coal boxes" which are bursting about 50 yards away and shaking the ground a lot. They make big holes about 10 feet deep, and send up clouds of black smoke. There are several dead Germans in their grey-green uniforms lying around their barbed wire. We caught a working party napping with our guns last night. The Germans opposing us are jager regiments, jager being German for rifle. They come from the Rhine Provinces, and from towns like Essen, Cologne, Elberfeld and Dusseldorf. 

I believe the chum from the paper mill who was killed is Leonard John "Fatty" Ahern, #4220, who was mentioned in a couple other letters. Dennis

Edited by dennisjnelson