Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Smith Gibb

Mike88

Do you have any more information? Such as Regiment/Corps/Rank/Medals etc?

Noel

Surname GIBB

Given Name John Smith

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 8/2780

Rank Private

Body or Draft Fifth

Unit or Regiment Otago Infantry Batln

Marital Status S

Last NZ Address 27 Todman St Brooklyn Wellington

Next of Kin Title David

Next of Kin Surname GIBB

Next of Kin Relationship Father

Next of Kin Address 13 Speed Terrace Taits Lane Dunedin

Source: Nominal Roll

Auckland Cenotaph reference:

http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/C...riginalID=44000

Archway reference:

http://archway.archives.govt.nz/BriefDescItemSearch.do

Zack

Archway reference for his file:

GIBB, John Smith - WW1 8/2780 - Army 1914 - 1918

agency AABK

series 18805

accession W5539

box / item 18 0044235

Head Office, Wellington

10 Mulgrave Street, Thorndon, Wellington 6011, New Zealand

PO Box 12-050, Wellington, New Zealand

Phone: (64-4) 499 5595

Fax: (64-4) 495 6210

E-mail: reference@archives.govt.nz

Zack

Do you have any more information? Such as Regiment/Corps/Rank/Medals etc?

Noel

Hi,

His rank was Private, I have since found that he served with the No 1 Field ambulance NZMC in Europe. He departed new Zealand in June 1915 with the Otago Infantry Battalion with the 5th Reinforcements (8 company) - he went in to Gallipoli August 8th.

In between he ended up in with the field ambulance - as such was shipped to France 6th April 1916.

He remained in service until 14th June 1918 and died in 1957. My family recall that he was never well (physically and mentally) after the war - my grandmother always maintained that he had been gassed on the Somme and that he had health problems associated with this.

I am travelling to Belgium later this year and want to visit the places he went to if possible - so I am very interested in his contribution in Europe.

Cheers

Mike

Archway reference for his file:

GIBB, John Smith - WW1 8/2780 - Army 1914 - 1918

agency AABK

series 18805

accession W5539

box / item 18 0044235

Head Office, Wellington

10 Mulgrave Street, Thorndon, Wellington 6011, New Zealand

PO Box 12-050, Wellington, New Zealand

Phone: (64-4) 499 5595

Fax: (64-4) 495 6210

E-mail: reference@archives.govt.nz

Zack

Thanks Zack, I feel like I am finally getting somewhere with this.

Mike -There are 20 pages on this man's file. Have you this file?

Zack

Hi Zack,

Sounds interesting. I do not have this file - how would I accesst this information. His records kept with the family were destroyed in a house fire long ago - all we have is his Gallipoli star. My Father remembers a framed certificate from the king congratulating him on the duration of his service.

Everything else has been verbally passed through the famliy and is rather vague.

Thanks for anything you have turned up.

Cheers

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Mike

This man’s file is 20 pages in length - lots on information on it but hard to read in places. There were eight forms of interest. Summary and details follow.

Overview

John Smith Gibb was born in Dundee, Scotland on 17 November 1894. He was single and lived at 27 Todman Street Brooklyn Wellington. He worked for Mr Patterson, Caulfield House, Sydney Street Wellington New Zealand as a labourer.

On enlistment his apparent age was aged 20 years 3 months and he was described as being 5 feet 8½ inches tall, and he weighed 140 lb. He was of dark complexion, black hair and blue eyed. His religious profession was Presbyterian. His file lists a number of people as his next of kin: Mr David Gibb (father) 13 Speed Terrace, Tait’s Lane, Dundee but this is crossed out and Mrs J S Gibb (wife) 78 Georges Lane Wanstead, illegible word, Essex” written in place then crossed out and then Mrs J S Gibb (wife) C/O Mrs Lawson Bridge End crossed out and ‘New Inn Hoff ‘written in place. It seems that he first married someone called Mrs Francis Taylor (Halliday) at Wanstead in a Church of England ceremony on 27 May 1917. Also written in is “Married again in Christchurch NZ (see confidential file).” (There is no such file on record.) Also listed as next of kin is “(Mr) Appleby address obscure but living in ‘England’.

John Gibb undertook his medical examination in Wellington on 15th February 1915 and on the same date he attested at Trentham, Wellington.

He led and interesting well travelled varied military life. He enlisted initially in the Wellington Regiment then on 8 June 1915 in “D” Company, 5th Reinforcements, Otago Infantry Regiment as a Private with the regimental number No 8/2780. He left New Zealand as a member of the 5th Reinforcements on 13 June 1915 - file doesn't record which ship.

He served very briefly in Gallipoli (9 to 13 August 1915) before he became ill with enteritis and was admitted to the 25 Casualty Clearing Station on Imbros. On 2 September 1915 he was transferred by the Hospital Ship ‘Marathon’ from Imbros to Mudros suffering from dysentery. He was sent on to Alexandria where he was admitted firstly to the General Hospital on 21 October 1915 suffering from “mild” dysentery and then on 24 October 1915 admitted to the Bombay Presidency Hospital in Alexandria. He was discharged from the Bombay Presidency Hospital on 19 November 1915 and on 20 November 1915 transferred to New Zealand Base Cairo, Mustapha. On 31 December 1915 he was transferred to the NZ Base at Gizah (training battalion) where he was attached to the Otago Infantry which he joined at Moascar on 9 January 1916.

At Moascar on 14 March 1916 re joined the No 1 NZ Field Ambulance and on 6 April 1916 he embarked for France from Alexandria per the transport Minnewaska. (On 29 November 1916 this ship was mined and sunk in Suda Bay.) John Gibb’s spent the rest of the war as a member of the NZMC (Field Ambulance) and from his file a fair amount of time in hospitals as a patient. Poor fellow he certainly suffered from ill health e.g. boils (September 1916), laryngitis (January 1917), dysentery again (November 1917), influenza (October 1917) and lastly TB March 1918. Like others who served he got into a bit of strife a couple of times for being AWOL (May 1916 / July 1916) and received Field Punishment No 2 and was fined. He received leave and returned to Dundee for a break in January 1917 where no doubt he still had family connections.

On 27 May 1917 when he married someone called Mrs Francis Taylor (Halliday) at Wanstead in a Church of England ceremony his file reveals that had been a patient in the New Zealand Hospital Codford firstly suffering from laryngitis (January 1917) and then phthisis (TB) June 1917). Obviously the first marriage didn’t last.

His file reveals that as early as August 1916 he was suspected of suffering from TB. He became ill again in France and on 9 March 1918 he embarked for England from Etaples. He was admitted to Southwark Military Hospital East Dulwich where he was diagnosed with suffering from tuberculosis of the lung.

On 3 May 1918 he was classified unfit by a Medical Board and embarked for New Zealand from Avonmouth on the Hospital Ship “Maheno” (HMNZT No 166).

John Smith Gibb returned to New Zealand and was discharged on 17 September 1918 being described as “no longer physically fit for war service on account of illness contracted on active service.” He received a 'very good certificate of character on discharge from the expeditionary force'. He had served for 3 years and 215 days. His intended address on discharge was 25 Fisher St New Brighton, Christchurch - other addresses crossed out are: 27 Todman Street Brooklyn and 454 Princess Street Dunedin – also written and not crossed out is ‘Shades Hotel Christchurch.’ His service medals were issued on 24 May 1924 and the Gallipoli medal was issued on 2 May 2005

In 1923 he married Dorothy Hicks. He died in Christchurch, New Zealand on 4 January 1956, aged 61 which seems young and one wonders if his death was a result of his illness contacted while on active service. He was a labourer and living at the time of his death living at 15 Ida Road Christchurch. His next of kin was his widow Mrs Dorothy Gibb.

Details

1 New Zealand Expeditionary Force Form No 1

Personal Record of Registration No 8/2780

NAME Gibbs John Smith

Regiment 5th Reinforcements

2 HISTORY SHEET (EF Form No 3A)

Unit: ‘No 1 NZ Field Ambulance’ crossed out and ’NZMC’ written in

Surname: Gibb

Christian Name: John Smith

No: 8/2780

Religion: Presbyterian

Place of Birth: Scotland

Date of Birth: 17.11.94

Last New Zealand address: 27 Todman Street Brooklyn Wellington

Last employer: Mr Patterson Caulfield House Sydney Street Wellington

Name, relationship of next of kin (if not resident in New Zealand, insert also name and address of nearest relative in New Zealand): Mr David Gibb (father) 13 Speed Terrace, Tait’s Lane, Dundee crossed out and Mrs J S Gibb (wife) written in place but address of C/O Mrs Lawson Bridge End crossed out and New Inn Hoff written in place. Also written in is “Married again in Chch NZ (see confidential file)” Also listed is “(Mr) Appleby address obscure but living in England

Periods of service

In New Zealand: 213 days

Overseas / Foreign Service: 3 years 2 days

Total service: 3 years 215 days

Date commenced duty: 15.2.15

Date finally discharged: 17.9.18

NZ from 15.2.15 to 12.6.15 – 118 days

Foreign from 13.6.15 to 14.6.18 – 3 years 2 days

Returned “Maheno” 14.6.18

NZ from 15.6.18 to 17.8.18 – 95 days

Intended address: 25 Fisher St New Brighton Chch - other addresses crossed out are: 27 Todman Street Brooklyn and 454 Princess Street Dunedin – also written and not crossed out is ‘Shades Hotel Christchurch’

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICES OF Gibb John Smith No 8/2780

Information shown in order as: Regiment or Corp; Promotions, Reductions, Casualties &c; Rank; Date; Authority for Entry:

WIB; BLANK, Pvt; 15.2.15; BLANK; BLANK

OIB; BLANK; Pvt; 8.6.15; BLANK; BLANK

BLANK; Joined No 1 F Amb; Pvt; 16.3.16; PIIO No 3 28/3/16

No 1 Fld Amb; Detached on duty; Pvt; 21.5.16; DO P2 No 8 7/6/16

No 1 Fld Amb; Rejoined No 1 F Amb; Pvt; 24.6.16; PIIO No 10 Rouen 7.7.16

BLANK; Temp detached to DSS; Pvt; 17.7.16; PIIO 14 R 29.2.16 BR 22/10

No 4 Field Amb; Rejoined No 1 Field Amb; Pvt; 15.8.16; PIIO No 19 Rouen 2.9.16 BR 27/10

No 1 Field Amb; as above; BLANK; 5.10.16; PIIO No 25 Rouen 14.10.16 BR 27/10

NZ Command Depot NZMC; taken on strength & posted to “D” Coy; Pte; 8.6.17; PIIO No 127 Codford 8.7.17 A1164

NZ Command Depot NZMC; struck off strength to AMC London; Pvt; 9.6.17; PIIO No 138 Codford 9.6.17 A1168

No 1 NZ Fld Amb; Rejoined No 1 NZ Fld AMb ex Hosp; Pvt; 18.6.17; PIIO No 27 Rouen 7.7.17 A1798

14 NZ Fld Amb; Attached to NZ I & G D ex Hosp; Pvt; 13.12.17; PIIO No 52 Rouen 29.12.17

Medal action

Service Medals issued (24 May 1924)

1. 1914 – 15 Star

2. British War Medal

3. Victory Medal

Gallipoli medal issued 2 May 2005

Injuries in or by the Service “Discharged no longer physically fit for war service on account of Illness contracted on active service ( TB Lung)

Sick

- , Bombay Pres; dysentery, mild

21.9.15, General Hospital Alexandria

11.1.17, London, admitted illegible

8.2.17, London, transferred to Convalescent Depot Hornchurch 30.1.17

9.6.17, London, admitted NZ General Hospital Codford 4.6.17 Phthisis (i.e. tuberculosis)

13.6.17, London, Transferred to Base Depot Codford 8.6.17

15.11.17, London; A/H France 3/10, dysentery

6.11.17, London, Adm NZ Stationary Hospital Wisques 26.10.17

28.11.17, London, Transferred to Convalescent Depot France Nov 17th 1917

24.12.17, London, Discharged to Base Depot France

19.3.18, London, Admitted Southwark Military Hospital Dulwich 9.3.18 TB Lungs severe

16.4.18, UK, Transferred to Brockenhurst 11.4.18

3.5.18, Avonmouth, Embarked for NZ per H S “Maheno”

Conduct sheet

Information shown in order as: Regiment or Corps; Place; Date; Offence; Punishment; Authority for Entry:

BLANK; BLANK; 18.5.16: BLANK; Forfeits 16 days ordinary pay; Part II Orders No 7 24.5.16

No 1 F Amb; In field; 24.7.16; Absent without leave from 9 pm 24.7.16 to 7.30 am 25.7.16; 21 days F P No 2 & forfeits 1 days pay by RW; O’Neill Lt Col 26.7.16 (E J O’Neill 3/182)

Particulars of marriage:

Wife’s maiden name: Mrs Francis Taylor (Halliday)

Place of marriage Wanstead - Church of England

Name of officiating Minister or Registrar: Unknown

Date: 27.5.1917

SLIP FOR FILE

PART 2 ORDERS – OFFENCE RETURNS, ETC

(EXTRACTS FROM HISTORY SHEETS)

Regt No 8/2780

Rank Pvte

Name Gibb John S

PUNISHMENTS

Information shown in order as date; Place; Offence; Punishment

24.7.16; In the field; Abs without leave from 9 pm 24.7.16 to 7.30 am 25.7.18; 21 days F Pun 2

18.8.16; BLANK; BLANK; forfeits 4 days ordinary pay

BLANK; BLANK; No hosp stoppages; BLANK

BLANK; BLANK; illegible – not received; BLANK

BLANK; BLANK; Repi(sp?) Camp 18.2.15; BLANK

3 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (Form No 3) Military History Sheet

Note: there are two of these forms one with slightly more details than the other

No 8/2780

Name GIBB, John Smith

Information shown in order as: Country; from; to; years; days

1 Service record

NZ; from 15/2/15 to 12.6.15; BLANK; 118 days

Foreign; from 13.6.15 to 14.6.15; 3 years 2 days

Total 3 years 215 days

“C” Discharge – 17.9.18

10 Name and address of next of kin

Father David Gibb 23 Speed Terrace, Taits Lane, Dundee crossed out and “(Wife) Mrs J S Gibb 78 Georges Lane Wanstead illegible word, Essex” written in but then further below on one of the forms is written “Mrs Francis Taylor (Halliday), C of E, Wanstead Unknown”

Intended place of residence on discharge: NZ

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICE OF No 8/2780 NAME: GIBB, John Smith

Information shown in order as: Regiment of Corps; Promotions, Reductions, Casualties, &c; Rank; Date; Signature of Officer certifying Correctness of Entry:

Wgton Infantry; BLANK; Pte; 15/2/15; W H Fletcher Major

Otago Infantry; BLANK; 8/6/15; BLANK

Otago Infantry; Attached strength NZ Base; Pte; 31.12.15; C Pugh

Otago Infantry; Joined unit and posted to ?th Coy at Moascar, Pte, 9.1.16; ?

Otago Infantry; Rejoined unit at Moascar, Pte, 19.1.16; C Pugh Cpl

Field Ambulance NZMC; joined No 1 F Amb Moascar; Pte; 14.3.16; R McKenzie

Field Ambulance NZMC; Transferred; Pte; 16.3.16; K Richards

No 1 F Amb; Detached on duty (No 1 F Amb PtII??); Pte; 21.5.16; RM

No 1 F Amb; Rejoined (No 1 F Amb PtII???); Pte; 24.6.16; RM

Div ??; ?? detached to (No 1 F Amb PtII????); Pte; 17.7.16; RM

No 1 F Amb; Rejoined (Rouen illegible); Pte; 13.8.16; ?

No 1 F Amb; Rejoined (No 1 F Ambul NZMC PtII???); Pte; 5.10.16; RM

Foreign 13.6.15 – 14.6.18 = 3 years 2 days

Also written “Attested 15.2.15” and “Discharged 17.9.18 No longer physically fit for war service on account of illness contracted on active service.”

4 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE ATTESTATION (FORM No 2)

ATTESTATION OF

No 8/2780

Name Gibb John Smith

Regiment or Unit D Coy 5th

Questions to be put to the recruit before enlistment (NOTE recruit responses are also numbered 1 – 18)

1 What is your name? John Smith Gibb

2 Where were you born? Dundee Scotland

3 Are you a British subject? Yes

4 What is the date of your birth? 17.11.94

5 What is your trade or calling? Labourer

6 Are you an indentured apprentice? If so where and to whom? No

7 What was the address at which you last resided? 27 Todman Street Brooklyn Wellington

8 Have you passed the Fourth Educational Standard or its equivalent? Yes

9 What is the name and address of your present or last employer? Mr Patterson Caulfield House Sydney Street Wellington

10 Are you married? No

11 Have you ever been sentenced to imprisonment by the Civil power? If so, when and where? No

12 Do you now belong to any military or naval force? If so to what corps? No

13 Have you ever served in any military or naval force? If so state which and cause of discharge. No

14 Have you truly stated the whole (if any) of your previous service? Yes

15 Have you been registered for compulsory military training under the Defence Act 1909? If so, where? No

16 Have you ever been rejected as unfit for the military or naval forces of the Crown? If so, on what grounds? No

17 Are you willing to be vaccinated or revaccinated? Or inoculated Yes

18 Are you willing to serve in the Expeditionary Force in or beyond the Dominion of New Zealand under the following conditions, provided your services should so long be required: For the term of the present European war and for such further period as is necessary to bring the Expeditionary Force back to New Zealand and to disband it? Yes

NOTE – Your discharge will not be granted before your return to New Zealand unless permission for discharge elsewhere be obtained from the GOC the New Zealand Expeditionary Force.

I John Smith Gibb do solemnly declare that the above answers made by me to the above questions are true, and that I am willing to fulfil the engagement made.

Signature of Recruit John Smith Gibb

Signature of Witness G Dale

Oath to be taken by recruit on attestation

I, John Smith Gibb, do sincerely promise and swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to our Sovereign Lord the King, his Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully serve in the New Zealand Military Forces, according to my liability under the Defence Act, and that I will observe and obey all order of His Majesty, his Heirs and Successors, and of the Generals and Officers set over me, until I shall be lawfully discharged So help me, God.

Certificate of Magistrate or Attesting Officer

The above questions were read to the above recruit in my presence. I have taken care that he understands each question, and that his answer to each question has been duly as replied to, and the said recruit has made and signed the declaration and taken the oath before me at Trentham, NZ on this 15 day of Feb 1915.

Signature of Attesting Officer W H Fletcher Major

If any alteration is required on this page of the Attestation, the Attesting Officer should be requested to make it and initial the alteration.

Description of J S Gibb on Enlistment

Apparent age: 20 years 3 months

(To be determined according to the instructions given in the Regulations for Army Medical Service.)

Height: 5 feet 8½ inches

Weight: 140 lb

Chest measurement Minimum 34¼ inches Maximum 36¼ inches

Complexion: dark

Colour of eyes: blue

Colour of hair: black

Religious profession: Presbyterian

Distinctive marks, and marks indicating congenital peculiarities or previous disease. None

Medical Examination

Sight: right eye 6/6

Sight: Left eye 6/6

Hearing: Right ear Normal

Hearing: Left ear Normal

Colour vision Normal

Are his limbs well formed? Yes

Are the movements of all his joints full and perfect? Yes

Is his chest well formed? Yes

Is his heart normal? Yes

Are his lungs normal? Yes

What is the condition of his teeth? Good

Is he free from hernia? Yes

Is he free from varicocele? Yes

Is he free from varicose veins? Yes

Is he free from haemorrhoids? Yes

Is he free from inveterate or contagious skin disease? Yes

Is there a distinct mark of vaccination? Yes

Is he in good bodily and mental health and free from any physical defect likely to interfere with the efficient performance of his duties? Yes

Are there any slight defects, but not sufficient to cause rejection? No

Remarks

Fit

Certificate of Medical Examination

I have examined the above named, and find he does not present any of the causes of rejection specified in the Regulations for Army Medical Services.

I consider him fit for service in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force.

DATE 15/2/15

H L Hughes Steele Capt Medical Officer

5 ARMY FORM B 103 Casualty Form – Active Service

Regimental Number 8/2780

Regiment or Corps NZ Medical Corps

Rank Private

Surname Gibb

Christian Names: John Smith

Enlisted (a) 15.2.15

Terms of Service (a) term of war

Service reckons from (a) 15.2.15

Information shown in order as from: Date; From whom received; Record of promotions, reductions, transfers, causalities &c active service as reported on Army Form B 213, Army Form A33 and in other official documents; Place of casualty;

9.8.15; O/C O I Bn; Joined Bn & posted to 8th Coy; Anzac, 9.8.15; Nom Roll

14.8.15; O/C 25CCS; Adm No 25 CCStn; Imbros; 13.8.15; A36 C3024 enteritis

2.9.15; O/C H S Marathon; Adm H S Marathon; Mudros; 2.9.15;2.9.15; A36 A7164 dysentery

24.10.15; O/C Bombay Pres H; Adm Bombay Presidency Hosp; Alexandria; 24.10.15; N Roll

21.11.15; O/C Bombay Pres H; Discharged Bombay Pres Hosp; Alexandria; 19.11.15; A56 C4665

21.11.15; O/C 29th Div Base; Transfd to NZ Base Cairo; Mustapha; 20.11.15; B213

1.1.16; O/C Trg Battn; Transfd to Base; Gizah; 31.12.15; N Roll

22.1.16; O/C O Inf Bn; Rejoined Battalion; Moascar; 19.1.16; B213

18.3.16; O/C O Inf Bn; Transfd to No 1 NZ F Amb; Moascar; 16.3.16 B213

19.3.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; Joined No 1 NZF Amb; Moascar; 16.3.16 B213

6.4.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; Embarked for France per H T Minnewaska; Alexandria; 6.4.16; N Roll

(Minnewaska, 14,317grt, defensively-armed, 29 November 1916, Suda Bay, mined and sunk.)

20.5.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; Forfeits 16 days ord pay; Norbacque(?); 18.5.16; B2069 Absent from parade

27.5.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; Detached to Armentieres on duty; Field; 21.5.16; B213

24.6.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; Adm to hospital, Field, 19.6.16; B213

24.6.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; Rejoined unit; Field, 24.6.16; B213

23.7.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; Detached to Div San Sect; Field; 17.7.16; B213

30.7.16; O/C Div San S; Detached to No 1 NZF Amb; Field; 26.7.16; B213

29.7.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; Awarded 21 days FP No 2 Forfeits 1 days pay by RW; Field; 26.7.16; B2069 absent without leave 9 pm 24.7.16 till 7.30 am 25.7.16

12.8.16; O/C No 2 NZFA; Adm No 2 NZFAmb’ Field; 12.8.16; A36 Y2669 Tuberculosis

19.8.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; Rjd No 1 NZF Amb; Field; 13.8.16; B213

30.9.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; To hosp sick; Field; 20.9.16; B213

30.9.16; O/C No 4 London F A; Adm No 4 London Fd Amb; Field; 23.9.16; A36 y4264 Boils

7.10.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; Rjd No 1 NZ Fd Amb; Field; 8.10.16; B213

10.1.17; Hqrs NZEF; Adm War Hosp (ex leave); Dundee; 3.1.17; Y6988

7.2.17; Hqrs NZEF; Adm NZ Con Hosp; Hornchurch; 30.1.17; Laryngitis

7.2.17; Hqrs NZEF; Discharged to Codford; Hornchurch; 31.5.17; DR 256 Y9943

1.6.17; O/C NZCD; Attached NZ Comm Dep; Codford; 31.5.17; P2O131 Y9814

8.6.17; Hqrs NZEF; Adm No 3 NZ Gen Hosp; Codford; 4.6.17; P2O257 Y10002

8.6.17; O/C NZCD; Attached NZ Comm Depot; Codford; 8.6.17; P2O137 Y10047

9.6.17 O/C NZCD; Discharged to APM London; Codford; 9.6.17; P2O138 Y10108

22.6.17; O/C No 1 NZFA; Rjd No 1 NZ Field Amb; In the field; 18.6.17; B213

26.10.17; O/C No 1 NZFA; To hospital sick; In the field; 26.10.17; B213

26.10.17; O/C No 1 NZFA; Adm No 1 NZ Fld Amb; In the field; 26.10.17; A36 Influenza

27.10.17; O/C NZ Stat H; Adm NZ Stat Hosp; In the field; 27.10.17; W3034 X4223

5.11.17; O/C No 7 Gen H; Adm No 7 Gen Hosp; St Omer; 4.11.17; W3034 X4566 Dysentery

18.11.17; O/C No 7 Con D; Adm No 7 Con Depot; Boulogne; 17.11.17; W0032 X4998

22.11.17; O/C No 10 Con D; Adm No 10 Con Depot Fcault; 22.11.17; X5126

13.12.17; O/C NZI & GBD; Attached NZ I & GBD; Etaples; 13.12.17; DR 293 X5768

23.1.17; O/C NZI & GBD; to UK on leave; 23.1.18; DR333 X7154

7.2.18; O/C NZI & GBD; attached strength ex leave; 7.2.18; DR 348 X7671

22.2.18; O/C NZI&GBD; Marched to Hosp; Etaples; 21.2.18; DR363 X8136

21.2.18; O/C No 24 Gen Hosp; Adm No 24 Gen Hosp; Etaples; 21.2.18; W3034 X8263 NYD

9.3.18; O/C No 24 Gen Hosp; Embarked for England; Etaples; 9.3.18; W3038 X8578

13.8.18; Hqrs NZEF; Adm Southwark Mil Hosp; East Dulwich; 9.3.18; Tuberculosis of lung DR493 X8886

16.4.18; Hqrs NZEF; Adm No 1 NZ Gen Hosp; Brockenhurst; 11.4.18; DR522 W163

9.5.18; Hqrs NZEF; Classified unfit by Medical Board and placed on ZN roll; England; 3.5.18; NR 17/11 W1026 / 16984 Tuberculosis Lung clinical

7.5.18; Hqrs NZEF; Embarked for NZ per H S Maheno; Avonmouth; 3.5.18; N Roll 17/5/ W943 / 16936

6 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE CERTIFICATE OF DISCHARGE

No 8/2780

Rank Private

Name: John Smith Gibb

Unit New Zealand Medical Corps

Born at Dundee Scotland

Attested at Trentham on the 15th February 1915

Duty with the Forces commenced on the 15th February 1915

He is discharged in consequence of NO LONGER PHYSICALLY FIT FOR WARD SERVICE ON ACCOUNT OF ILLNESS CONTRACTED ON ACTIVE SERVICE

Home service – years 213 days

Active service: 3 years 2 days

Place: Wellington

Date 17th September 1918

Printed on left hand side of form:

NB (1) This certificate is issued without alteration or erasure of any kind.

(2) Any person finding this certificate is requested to forward it to Headquarters NZ

Military Forces, Wellington, NZ

7 CERTIFICATE OF CHARACTER ON DISCHARGE FROM THE EXPEDITIONARY FORCE

NOTE: To qualify for a very good character the soldier must perform not less than two and half years full service

The conduct and character of the soldier named on the front hereof while with the Expeditionary Force have been, according to the records: VG

Stamped BR 148 and 154 despatched with discharge and illegible

Date: ?.9.18

Initials EW

Medals and decorations: NO MEDAL ISSUED AT DATE OF DISCHARGE

DESCRIPTION OF THE SOLDIER ON ENLISTMENT

Complexion: Dark

Hair: Black

Eyes: Blue

Trade or occupation: Labourer

Marks or scars (whether on face or other parts of body): BLANK

8 File No 165 (IA – 61) DEPARTMENT OF INTERNAL AFFAIRS Notification of Death

Note: Form is mostly typed

1914-1918

Service No 8/2780

Name: GIBB John Smith

Regiment Med Corp

Born at Scotland

Date 17.11.1894

Religion Presbyterian

War service (Yes or No) Yes

Discharged 17.9.1918

Decorations (if any) – -

Place Christchurch

Date 4th January 1956

Next of kin (Relationship and Address) Mrs Dorothy Gibb, 15 Ida Road Christchurch, Widow

To Secretary

Army Department

Wellington

Please verify and complete the above particulars (where blanks exist) and return urgently.

Date 5th February 1957 Signature J B Pearson Per District Officer

To District Officer

Department of Internal Affairs

PO Box 1308 Christchurch

Checked and returned herewith as requested.

Date 11 Feb 1957

Signature illegible

Source reference

Agency AABK

Series 18805

Accession W5539

Box / item 18

Record 0044235

Zack

Wow Zack - what an amazing amount of info and how generous of you to transcribe it so well - hopefully Mike will be back to see it.

I checked the records for his 1917 wedding in the registration district of West Ham (that includes Wanstead) and they have his wife listed as Mary E F Taylor (ref was 2nd qtr - vol 4a page 405 if Mike wants to order a copy of the cert)

Cheers

Sue

Thanks Sue - I hope he does too - I've a digital copy of the file if Mike wants it - so he can check if I transcribed it correctly.

Cheers

Zack

Hi Mike do you know if your John Gibbs Father David Gibb was from Brechin before he Lived in Dundee ? if he was he may be related to my wife? as you can see her g/grandfather was K. I. A with the Black watch he had a brother David. :o

Hi Zack,

Thank you so much for this. I am leaving for England soon and your transcript has given me a really good insight into the places my great grandfather visited and the actions he may have been involved in. I will be visiting the battlefields in France and Belgium - you have really helped to bring this to life for me.

I have a copy of John's service record after following up your earlier information - so some of your transcript is familiar, although I found it very difficult to read (and understand) the copies I recieved from the archives.

Of intrest, he died of bowel cancer (my family claim he died in 1957, and that the records hold an eror here). His health was poor after his return from the war, he suffered from chest ailments ( we think now after reading your transcript probably connected to the T.B). My Grandmother recounted that he had been gassed in France - this was her belief surrounding the chest complaints.

My great uncle (his son) also recalls that he suffered mentally for the remainder of his life (as I am sure many returned servicemen did) and had nightmares about his experiences. My father recalls that he never held a permanent job after the war and used to ride a bicycle to Brighton beach and collect timber as firewood.

He lived in New Brighton until his death.

This research has opened connections within my family - and really stimulated intrest in Johns life.

Thank you again

Mike

Mike

This man’s file is 20 pages in length - lots on information on it but hard to read in places. There were eight forms of interest. Summary and details follow.

Overview

John Smith Gibb was born in Dundee, Scotland on 17 November 1894. He was single and lived at 27 Todman Street Brooklyn Wellington. He worked for Mr Patterson, Caulfield House, Sydney Street Wellington New Zealand as a labourer.

On enlistment his apparent age was aged 20 years 3 months and he was described as being 5 feet 8½ inches tall, and he weighed 140 lb. He was of dark complexion, black hair and blue eyed. His religious profession was Presbyterian. His file lists a number of people as his next of kin: Mr David Gibb (father) 13 Speed Terrace, Tait’s Lane, Dundee but this is crossed out and Mrs J S Gibb (wife) 78 Georges Lane Wanstead, illegible word, Essex” written in place then crossed out and then Mrs J S Gibb (wife) C/O Mrs Lawson Bridge End crossed out and ‘New Inn Hoff ‘written in place. It seems that he first married someone called Mrs Francis Taylor (Halliday) at Wanstead in a Church of England ceremony on 27 May 1917. Also written in is “Married again in Christchurch NZ (see confidential file).” (There is no such file on record.) Also listed as next of kin is “(Mr) Appleby address obscure but living in ‘England’.

John Gibb undertook his medical examination in Wellington on 15th February 1915 and on the same date he attested at Trentham, Wellington.

He led and interesting well travelled varied military life. He enlisted initially in the Wellington Regiment then on 8 June 1915 in “D” Company, 5th Reinforcements, Otago Infantry Regiment as a Private with the regimental number No 8/2780. He left New Zealand as a member of the 5th Reinforcements on 13 June 1915 - file doesn't record which ship.

He served very briefly in Gallipoli (9 to 13 August 1915) before he became ill with enteritis and was admitted to the 25 Casualty Clearing Station on Imbros. On 2 September 1915 he was transferred by the Hospital Ship ‘Marathon’ from Imbros to Mudros suffering from dysentery. He was sent on to Alexandria where he was admitted firstly to the General Hospital on 21 October 1915 suffering from “mild” dysentery and then on 24 October 1915 admitted to the Bombay Presidency Hospital in Alexandria. He was discharged from the Bombay Presidency Hospital on 19 November 1915 and on 20 November 1915 transferred to New Zealand Base Cairo, Mustapha. On 31 December 1915 he was transferred to the NZ Base at Gizah (training battalion) where he was attached to the Otago Infantry which he joined at Moascar on 9 January 1916.

At Moascar on 14 March 1916 re joined the No 1 NZ Field Ambulance and on 6 April 1916 he embarked for France from Alexandria per the transport Minnewaska. (On 29 November 1916 this ship was mined and sunk in Suda Bay.) John Gibb’s spent the rest of the war as a member of the NZMC (Field Ambulance) and from his file a fair amount of time in hospitals as a patient. Poor fellow he certainly suffered from ill health e.g. boils (September 1916), laryngitis (January 1917), dysentery again (November 1917), influenza (October 1917) and lastly TB March 1918. Like others who served he got into a bit of strife a couple of times for being AWOL (May 1916 / July 1916) and received Field Punishment No 2 and was fined. He received leave and returned to Dundee for a break in January 1917 where no doubt he still had family connections.

On 27 May 1917 when he married someone called Mrs Francis Taylor (Halliday) at Wanstead in a Church of England ceremony his file reveals that had been a patient in the New Zealand Hospital Codford firstly suffering from laryngitis (January 1917) and then phthisis (TB) June 1917). Obviously the first marriage didn’t last.

His file reveals that as early as August 1916 he was suspected of suffering from TB. He became ill again in France and on 9 March 1918 he embarked for England from Etaples. He was admitted to Southwark Military Hospital East Dulwich where he was diagnosed with suffering from tuberculosis of the lung.

On 3 May 1918 he was classified unfit by a Medical Board and embarked for New Zealand from Avonmouth on the Hospital Ship “Maheno” (HMNZT No 166).

John Smith Gibb returned to New Zealand and was discharged on 17 September 1918 being described as “no longer physically fit for war service on account of illness contracted on active service.” He received a 'very good certificate of character on discharge from the expeditionary force'. He had served for 3 years and 215 days. His intended address on discharge was 25 Fisher St New Brighton, Christchurch - other addresses crossed out are: 27 Todman Street Brooklyn and 454 Princess Street Dunedin – also written and not crossed out is ‘Shades Hotel Christchurch.’ His service medals were issued on 24 May 1924 and the Gallipoli medal was issued on 2 May 2005

In 1923 he married Dorothy Hicks. He died in Christchurch, New Zealand on 4 January 1956, aged 61 which seems young and one wonders if his death was a result of his illness contacted while on active service. He was a labourer and living at the time of his death living at 15 Ida Road Christchurch. His next of kin was his widow Mrs Dorothy Gibb.

Details

1 New Zealand Expeditionary Force Form No 1

Personal Record of Registration No 8/2780

NAME Gibbs John Smith

Regiment 5th Reinforcements

2 HISTORY SHEET (EF Form No 3A)

Unit: ‘No 1 NZ Field Ambulance’ crossed out and ’NZMC’ written in

Surname: Gibb

Christian Name: John Smith

No: 8/2780

Religion: Presbyterian

Place of Birth: Scotland

Date of Birth: 17.11.94

Last New Zealand address: 27 Todman Street Brooklyn Wellington

Last employer: Mr Patterson Caulfield House Sydney Street Wellington

Name, relationship of next of kin (if not resident in New Zealand, insert also name and address of nearest relative in New Zealand): Mr David Gibb (father) 13 Speed Terrace, Tait’s Lane, Dundee crossed out and Mrs J S Gibb (wife) written in place but address of C/O Mrs Lawson Bridge End crossed out and New Inn Hoff written in place. Also written in is “Married again in Chch NZ (see confidential file)” Also listed is “(Mr) Appleby address obscure but living in England

Periods of service

In New Zealand: 213 days

Overseas / Foreign Service: 3 years 2 days

Date commenced duty: 15.2.15

Date finally discharged: 17.9.18

NZ from 15.2.15 to 12.6.15 – 118 days

Foreign from 13.6.15 to 14.6.18 – 3 years 2 days

Returned “Maheno” 14.6.18

NZ from 15.6.18 to 17.8.18 – 95 days

Intended address: 25 Fisher St New Brighton Chch - other addresses crossed out are: 27 Todman Street Brooklyn and 454 Princess Street Dunedin – also written and not crossed out is ‘Shades Hotel Christchurch’

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICES OF Gibb John Smith No 8/2780

Information shown in order as: Regiment or Corp; Promotions, Reductions, Casualties &c; Rank; Date; Authority for Entry:

WIB; BLANK, Pvt; 15.2.15; BLANK; BLANK

OIB; BLANK; Pvt; 8.6.15; BLANK; BLANK

BLANK; Joined No 1 F Amb; Pvt; 16.3.16; PIIO No 3 28/3/16

No 1 Fld Amb; Detached on duty; Pvt; 21.5.16; DO P2 No 8 7/6/16

No 1 Fld Amb; Rejoined No 1 F Amb; Pvt; 24.6.16; PIIO No 10 Rouen 7.7.16

BLANK; Temp detached to DSS; Pvt; 17.7.16; PIIO 14 R 29.2.16 BR 22/10

No 4 Field Amb; Rejoined No 1 Field Amb; Pvt; 15.8.16; PIIO No 19 Rouen 2.9.16 BR 27/10

No 1 Field Amb; as above; BLANK; 5.10.16; PIIO No 25 Rouen 14.10.16 BR 27/10

NZ Command Depot NZMC; taken on strength & posted to “D” Coy; Pte; 8.6.17; PIIO No 127 Codford 8.7.17 A1164

NZ Command Depot NZMC; struck off strength to AMC London; Pvt; 9.6.17; PIIO No 138 Codford 9.6.17 A1168

No 1 NZ Fld Amb; Rejoined No 1 NZ Fld AMb ex Hosp; Pvt; 18.6.17; PIIO No 27 Rouen 7.7.17 A1798

14 NZ Fld Amb; Attached to NZ I & G D ex Hosp; Pvt; 13.12.17; PIIO No 52 Rouen 29.12.17

Medal action

Service Medals issued (24 May 1924)

1. 1914 – 15 Star

2. British War Medal

3. Victory Medal

Gallipoli medal issued 2 May 2005

Injuries in or by the Service “Discharged no longer physically fit for war service on account of Illness contracted on active service ( TB Lung)

Sick

- , Bombay Pres; dysentery, mild

21.9.15, General Hospital Alexandria

11.1.17, London, admitted illegible

8.2.17, London, transferred to Convalescent Depot Hornchurch 30.1.17

9.6.17, London, admitted NZ General Hospital Codford 4.6.17 Phthisis (i.e. tuberculosis)

13.6.17, London, Transferred to Base Depot Codford 8.6.17

15.11.17, London; A/H France 3/10, dysentery

6.11.17, London, Adm NZ Stationary Hospital Wisques 26.10.17

28.11.17, London, Transferred to Convalescent Depot France Nov 17th 1917

24.12.17, London, Discharged to Base Depot France

19.3.18, London, Admitted Southwark Military Hospital Dulwich 9.3.18 TB Lungs severe

16.4.18, UK, Transferred to Brockenhurst 11.4.18

3.5.18, Avonmouth, Embarked for NZ per H S “Maheno”

Conduct sheet

Information shown in order as: Regiment or Corps; Place; Date; Offence; Punishment; Authority for Entry:

BLANK; BLANK; 18.5.16: BLANK; Forfeits 16 days ordinary pay; Part II Orders No 7 24.5.16

No 1 F Amb; In field; 24.7.16; Absent without leave from 9 pm 24.7.16 to 7.30 am 25.7.16; 21 days F P No 2 & forfeits 1 days pay by RW; O’Neill Lt Col 26.7.16 (E J O’Neill 3/182)

Particulars of marriage:

Wife’s maiden name: Mrs Francis Taylor (Halliday)

Place of marriage Wanstead - Church of England

Name of officiating Minister or Registrar: Unknown

Date: 27.5.1917

SLIP FOR FILE

PART 2 ORDERS – OFFENCE RETURNS, ETC

(EXTRACTS FROM HISTORY SHEETS)

Regt No 8/2780

Rank Pvte

Name Gibb John S

PUNISHMENTS

Information shown in order as date; Place; Offence; Punishment

24.7.16; In the field; Abs without leave from 9 pm 24.7.16 to 7.30 am 25.7.18; 21 days F Pun 2

18.8.16; BLANK; BLANK; forfeits 4 days ordinary pay

BLANK; BLANK; No hosp stoppages; BLANK

BLANK; BLANK; illegible – not received; BLANK

BLANK; BLANK; Repi(sp?) Camp 18.2.15; BLANK

3 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE (Form No 3) Military History Sheet

Note: there are two of these forms one with slightly more details than the other

No 8/2780

Name GIBB, John Smith

Information shown in order as: Country; from; to; years; days

1 Service record

NZ; from 15/2/15 to 12.6.15; BLANK; 118 days

Foreign; from 13.6.15 to 14.6.15; 3 years 2 days

Total 3 years 215 days

“C” Discharge – 17.9.18

10 Name and address of next of kin

Father David Gibb 23 Speed Terrace, Taits Lane, Dundee crossed out and “(Wife) Mrs J S Gibb 78 Georges Lane Wanstead illegible word, Essex” written in but then further below on one of the forms is written “Mrs Francis Taylor (Halliday), C of E, Wanstead Unknown”

Intended place of residence on discharge: NZ

STATEMENT OF THE SERVICE OF No 8/2780 NAME: GIBB, John Smith

Information shown in order as: Regiment of Corps; Promotions, Reductions, Casualties, &c; Rank; Date; Signature of Officer certifying Correctness of Entry:

Wgton Infantry; BLANK; Pte; 15/2/15; W H Fletcher Major

Otago Infantry; BLANK; 8/6/15; BLANK

Otago Infantry; Attached strength NZ Base; Pte; 31.12.15; C Pugh

Otago Infantry; Joined unit and posted to ?th Coy at Moascar, Pte, 9.1.16; ?

Otago Infantry; Rejoined unit at Moascar, Pte, 19.1.16; C Pugh Cpl

Field Ambulance NZMC; joined No 1 F Amb Moascar; Pte; 14.3.16; R McKenzie

Field Ambulance NZMC; Transferred; Pte; 16.3.16; K Richards

No 1 F Amb; Detached on duty (No 1 F Amb PtII??); Pte; 21.5.16; RM

No 1 F Amb; Rejoined (No 1 F Amb PtII???); Pte; 24.6.16; RM

Div ??; ?? detached to (No 1 F Amb PtII????); Pte; 17.7.16; RM

No 1 F Amb; Rejoined (Rouen illegible); Pte; 13.8.16; ?

No 1 F Amb; Rejoined (No 1 F Ambul NZMC PtII???); Pte; 5.10.16; RM

Foreign 13.6.15 – 14.6.18 = 3 years 2 days

Also written “Attested 15.2.15” and “Discharged 17.9.18 No longer physically fit for war service on account of illness contracted on active service.”

4 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE ATTESTATION (FORM No 2)

ATTESTATION OF

No 8/2780

Name Gibb John Smith

Regiment or Unit D Coy 5th

Questions to be put to the recruit before enlistment (NOTE recruit responses are also numbered 1 – 18)

1 What is your name? John Smith Gibb

2 Where were you born? Dundee Scotland

3 Are you a British subject? Yes

4 What is the date of your birth? 17.11.94

5 What is your trade or calling? Labourer

6 Are you an indentured apprentice? If so where and to whom? No

7 What was the address at which you last resided? 27 Todman Street Brooklyn Wellington

8 Have you passed the Fourth Educational Standard or its equivalent? Yes

9 What is the name and address of your present or last employer? Mr Patterson Caulfield House Sydney Street Wellington

10 Are you married? No

11 Have you ever been sentenced to imprisonment by the Civil power? If so, when and where? No

12 Do you now belong to any military or naval force? If so to what corps? No

13 Have you ever served in any military or naval force? If so state which and cause of discharge. No

14 Have you truly stated the whole (if any) of your previous service? Yes

15 Have you been registered for compulsory military training under the Defence Act 1909? If so, where? No

16 Have you ever been rejected as unfit for the military or naval forces of the Crown? If so, on what grounds? No

17 Are you willing to be vaccinated or revaccinated? Or inoculated Yes

18 Are you willing to serve in the Expeditionary Force in or beyond the Dominion of New Zealand under the following conditions, provided your services should so long be required: For the term of the present European war and for such further period as is necessary to bring the Expeditionary Force back to New Zealand and to disband it? Yes

NOTE – Your discharge will not be granted before your return to New Zealand unless permission for discharge elsewhere be obtained from the GOC the New Zealand Expeditionary Force.

I John Smith Gibb do solemnly declare that the above answers made by me to the above questions are true, and that I am willing to fulfil the engagement made.

Signature of Recruit John Smith Gibb

Signature of Witness G Dale

Oath to be taken by recruit on attestation

I, John Smith Gibb, do sincerely promise and swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to our Sovereign Lord the King, his Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully serve in the New Zealand Military Forces, according to my liability under the Defence Act, and that I will observe and obey all order of His Majesty, his Heirs and Successors, and of the Generals and Officers set over me, until I shall be lawfully discharged So help me, God.

Certificate of Magistrate or Attesting Officer

The above questions were read to the above recruit in my presence. I have taken care that he understands each question, and that his answer to each question has been duly as replied to, and the said recruit has made and signed the declaration and taken the oath before me at Trentham, NZ on this 15 day of Feb 1915.

Signature of Attesting Officer W H Fletcher Major

If any alteration is required on this page of the Attestation, the Attesting Officer should be requested to make it and initial the alteration.

Description of J S Gibb on Enlistment

Apparent age: 20 years 3 months

(To be determined according to the instructions given in the Regulations for Army Medical Service.)

Weight: 140 lb

Chest measurement Minimum 34¼ inches Maximum 36¼ inches

Complexion: dark

Colour of eyes: blue

Colour of hair: black

Religious profession: Presbyterian

Distinctive marks, and marks indicating congenital peculiarities or previous disease. None

Medical Examination

Sight: right eye 6/6

Sight: Left eye 6/6

Hearing: Right ear Normal

Hearing: Left ear Normal

Colour vision Normal

Are his limbs well formed? Yes

Are the movements of all his joints full and perfect? Yes

Is his chest well formed? Yes

Is his heart normal? Yes

Are his lungs normal? Yes

What is the condition of his teeth? Good

Is he free from hernia? Yes

Is he free from varicocele? Yes

Is he free from varicose veins? Yes

Is he free from haemorrhoids? Yes

Is he free from inveterate or contagious skin disease? Yes

Is there a distinct mark of vaccination? Yes

Is he in good bodily and mental health and free from any physical defect likely to interfere with the efficient performance of his duties? Yes

Are there any slight defects, but not sufficient to cause rejection? No

Remarks

Fit

Certificate of Medical Examination

I have examined the above named, and find he does not present any of the causes of rejection specified in the Regulations for Army Medical Services.

I consider him fit for service in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force.

DATE 15/2/15

H L Hughes Steele Capt Medical Officer

5 ARMY FORM B 103 Casualty Form – Active Service

Regimental Number 8/2780

Regiment or Corps NZ Medical Corps

Rank Private

Surname Gibb

Christian Names: John Smith

Enlisted (a) 15.2.15

Terms of Service (a) term of war

Service reckons from (a) 15.2.15

Information shown in order as from: Date; From whom received; Record of promotions, reductions, transfers, causalities &c active service as reported on Army Form B 213, Army Form A33 and in other official documents; Place of casualty;

9.8.15; O/C O I Bn; Joined Bn & posted to 8th Coy; Anzac, 9.8.15; Nom Roll

14.8.15; O/C 25CCS; Adm No 25 CCStn; Imbros; 13.8.15; A36 C3024 enteritis

2.9.15; O/C H S Marathon; Adm H S Marathon; Mudros; 2.9.15;2.9.15; A36 A7164 dysentery

24.10.15; O/C Bombay Pres H; Adm Bombay Presidency Hosp; Alexandria; 24.10.15; N Roll

21.11.15; O/C Bombay Pres H; Discharged Bombay Pres Hosp; Alexandria; 19.11.15; A56 C4665

21.11.15; O/C 29th Div Base; Transfd to NZ Base Cairo; Mustapha; 20.11.15; B213

1.1.16; O/C Trg Battn; Transfd to Base; Gizah; 31.12.15; N Roll

22.1.16; O/C O Inf Bn; Rejoined Battalion; Moascar; 19.1.16; B213

18.3.16; O/C O Inf Bn; Transfd to No 1 NZ F Amb; Moascar; 16.3.16 B213

19.3.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; Joined No 1 NZF Amb; Moascar; 16.3.16 B213

6.4.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; Embarked for France per H T Minnewaska; Alexandria; 6.4.16; N Roll

(Minnewaska, 14,317grt, defensively-armed, 29 November 1916, Suda Bay, mined and sunk.)

20.5.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; Forfeits 16 days ord pay; Norbacque(?); 18.5.16; B2069 Absent from parade

27.5.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; Detached to Armentieres on duty; Field; 21.5.16; B213

24.6.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; Adm to hospital, Field, 19.6.16; B213

24.6.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; Rejoined unit; Field, 24.6.16; B213

23.7.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; Detached to Div San Sect; Field; 17.7.16; B213

30.7.16; O/C Div San S; Detached to No 1 NZF Amb; Field; 26.7.16; B213

29.7.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; Awarded 21 days FP No 2 Forfeits 1 days pay by RW; Field; 26.7.16; B2069 absent without leave 9 pm 24.7.16 till 7.30 am 25.7.16

12.8.16; O/C No 2 NZFA; Adm No 2 NZFAmb’ Field; 12.8.16; A36 Y2669 Tuberculosis

19.8.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; Rjd No 1 NZF Amb; Field; 13.8.16; B213

30.9.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; To hosp sick; Field; 20.9.16; B213

30.9.16; O/C No 4 London F A; Adm No 4 London Fd Amb; Field; 23.9.16; A36 y4264 Boils

7.10.16; O/C No 1 NZFA; Rjd No 1 NZ Fd Amb; Field; 8.10.16; B213

10.1.17; Hqrs NZEF; Adm War Hosp (ex leave); Dundee; 3.1.17; Y6988

7.2.17; Hqrs NZEF; Adm NZ Con Hosp; Hornchurch; 30.1.17; Laryngitis

7.2.17; Hqrs NZEF; Discharged to Codford; Hornchurch; 31.5.17; DR 256 Y9943

1.6.17; O/C NZCD; Attached NZ Comm Dep; Codford; 31.5.17; P2O131 Y9814

8.6.17; Hqrs NZEF; Adm No 3 NZ Gen Hosp; Codford; 4.6.17; P2O257 Y10002

8.6.17; O/C NZCD; Attached NZ Comm Depot; Codford; 8.6.17; P2O137 Y10047

9.6.17 O/C NZCD; Discharged to APM London; Codford; 9.6.17; P2O138 Y10108

22.6.17; O/C No 1 NZFA; Rjd No 1 NZ Field Amb; In the field; 18.6.17; B213

26.10.17; O/C No 1 NZFA; To hospital sick; In the field; 26.10.17; B213

26.10.17; O/C No 1 NZFA; Adm No 1 NZ Fld Amb; In the field; 26.10.17; A36 Influenza

27.10.17; O/C NZ Stat H; Adm NZ Stat Hosp; In the field; 27.10.17; W3034 X4223

5.11.17; O/C No 7 Gen H; Adm No 7 Gen Hosp; St Omer; 4.11.17; W3034 X4566 Dysentery

18.11.17; O/C No 7 Con D; Adm No 7 Con Depot; Boulogne; 17.11.17; W0032 X4998

22.11.17; O/C No 10 Con D; Adm No 10 Con Depot Fcault; 22.11.17; X5126

13.12.17; O/C NZI & GBD; Attached NZ I & GBD; Etaples; 13.12.17; DR 293 X5768

23.1.17; O/C NZI & GBD; to UK on leave; 23.1.18; DR333 X7154

7.2.18; O/C NZI & GBD; attached strength ex leave; 7.2.18; DR 348 X7671

22.2.18; O/C NZI&GBD; Marched to Hosp; Etaples; 21.2.18; DR363 X8136

21.2.18; O/C No 24 Gen Hosp; Adm No 24 Gen Hosp; Etaples; 21.2.18; W3034 X8263 NYD

9.3.18; O/C No 24 Gen Hosp; Embarked for England; Etaples; 9.3.18; W3038 X8578

13.8.18; Hqrs NZEF; Adm Southwark Mil Hosp; East Dulwich; 9.3.18; Tuberculosis of lung DR493 X8886

16.4.18; Hqrs NZEF; Adm No 1 NZ Gen Hosp; Brockenhurst; 11.4.18; DR522 W163

9.5.18; Hqrs NZEF; Classified unfit by Medical Board and placed on ZN roll; England; 3.5.18; NR 17/11 W1026 / 16984 Tuberculosis Lung clinical

7.5.18; Hqrs NZEF; Embarked for NZ per H S Maheno; Avonmouth; 3.5.18; N Roll 17/5/ W943 / 16936

6 NEW ZEALAND EXPEDITIONARY FORCE CERTIFICATE OF DISCHARGE

No 8/2780

Rank Private

Name: John Smith Gibb

Unit New Zealand Medical Corps

Born at Dundee Scotland

Attested at Trentham on the 15th February 1915

Duty with the Forces commenced on the 15th February 1915

He is discharged in consequence of NO LONGER PHYSICALLY FIT FOR WARD SERVICE ON ACCOUNT OF ILLNESS CONTRACTED ON ACTIVE SERVICE

Home service – years 213 days

Active service: 3 years 2 days

Place: Wellington

Date 17th September 1918

Printed on left hand side of form:

NB (1) This certificate is issued without alteration or erasure of any kind.

(2) Any person finding this certificate is requested to forward it to Headquarters NZ

Military Forces, Wellington, NZ

7 CERTIFICATE OF CHARACTER ON DISCHARGE FROM THE EXPEDITIONARY FORCE

NOTE: To qualify for a very good character the soldier must perform not less than two and half years full service

The conduct and character of the soldier named on the front hereof while with the Expeditionary Force have been, according to the records: VG

Stamped BR 148 and 154 despatched with discharge and illegible

Date: ?.9.18

Initials EW

Medals and decorations: NO MEDAL ISSUED AT DATE OF DISCHARGE

DESCRIPTION OF THE SOLDIER ON ENLISTMENT

Complexion: Dark

Hair: Black

Eyes: Blue

Trade or occupation: Labourer

Marks or scars (whether on face or other parts of body): BLANK

8 File No 165 (IA – 61) DEPARTMENT OF INTERNAL AFFAIRS Notification of Death

Note: Form is mostly typed

1914-1918

Service No 8/2780

Name: GIBB John Smith

Regiment Med Corp

Born at Scotland

Date 17.11.1894

Religion Presbyterian

War service (Yes or No) Yes

Discharged 17.9.1918

Decorations (if any) – -

Place Christchurch

Date 4th January 1956

Next of kin (Relationship and Address) Mrs Dorothy Gibb, 15 Ida Road Christchurch, Widow

To Secretary

Army Department

Wellington

Please verify and complete the above particulars (where blanks exist) and return urgently.

Date 5th February 1957 Signature J B Pearson Per District Officer

To District Officer

Department of Internal Affairs

PO Box 1308 Christchurch

Checked and returned herewith as requested.

Date 11 Feb 1957

Signature illegible

Source reference

Agency AABK

Series 18805

Accession W5539

Box / item 18

Record 0044235

Zack

Hi Mike do you know if your John Gibbs Father David Gibb was from Brechin before he Lived in Dundee ? if he was he may be related to my wife? as you can see her g/grandfather was K. I. A with the Black watch he had a brother David. :o

Hi,

We do not have much information about David Gibb. It seems that John Smith Gibb ran away from home (Dundee) at a young age, allegedly he did not get along with his stepmother.

I am continuing with my investigations - and will post any further relevant information.

Regards

Mike

• 11 years later...
On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2008 at 10:04, Mike88 said:

Alas, it looks as though John Smith Gibb may have been a bigamist. If anyone in NZ has knowledge that this man divorced  his wife Frances  before his next marriage, I would be keen to know it.

Alas, it looks as though John Smith Gibb may have been a bigamist. If anyone in NZ has knowledge that this man divorced  his wife Frances  before his next marriage, I would be keen to know it.

This very interesting. I am having some difficulty following the trail of the first Mrs Gibb since she had three forenames and they appear in different orders on different documents.

Her birth was registered as Frances Mary E[lizabeth] Holliday in October-December 1890 in West Ham, Essex (BMD England & Wales - ancestry)

She was baptised Frances Mary Elizabeth Holliday (parents John & Elizabeth) on 28 January 1891 at Emmanuel, Forest Gate, Essex (ancestry)

She married Seymour Taylor as Frances Mary Elizabeth Holliday on 10 November 1910 at St Mary the Virgin with Christchurch, Wanstead, Essex (ancestry)

They appear in the 1911 census.

I am sure that Seymour Taylor was S/7525 of 3 Rifle Brigade who was killed/died on 18 August 1916. Registers of Soldiers' Effects shows his widow (and sole legatee) as "Frances M E _" (sic) by 15 February 1917; by 8 September 1919 she is Frances M E D(?)ent. (Registrs of Soldiers' Effects - ancestry)

The medals were applied for by the widow on 6 November 1917 - widow, Mrs Dent with an address in Askam, Lanacahire. (MIRC- ancestry)

Mary Elizabeth Frances Taylor (indexed as Sayor) married John Smith Gibb at St Mary the Virgin and Christchurch, Wanstead, Essex on 27 May 1917 (ancestry)

I haven't looked for the Dent marriage yet!

I haven't found a divorce yet!

RM

Edit: She married Bertie P Dent (as Frances M E Gibb) in the East Ward, Westmoreland in January to March 1919.

Was there a divorce by then? Was John Smith Gibb believed to be dead?

Hi RM- Yes, that's her

Seymour Taylor is one  of my casualties for Wanstead and is listed on local war memorial, as well as that for Holy Trinity, Barkingside (Picture on Tinternet)

There is a biography of him-and pictures of her and her children at

This was a series of biographies done for the Wanstead United Reform Church, where he is also on a war memorial.  Very well done by a colleague  called Maggie Brown, whom I hope to meet for the first time tomorrow.

Maggie could not find the marriage to Bertie Dent- but it is listed in his service file for  Bertie Dent on Discovering Our Anzacs-no doubt it is her. His file is a bit of an eye opener.

BUT she gave her surname as Gibb and stated she was a widow-  and tracked the 1917 marriage to John Stuart Gibb in Wanstead. -  so I looked up  Gibb on the NZ service papers which are now on Ancestry-yes, it is her who gets married in Wanstead in September 1917- I have just checked the marriage registers. She probably met Gibb while he was convalescent at Hornchurch  in c.Feb.1917- Hornchurch was the main NZ base and is not too far from here (wot where I am writing from I mean)

It is also interesting to note that Seymour Taylor  enlisted in the army late December 1915- while his wife was heavily  pregnant with the third child.  Hints at something wrong in the marriage-but, on the other hand, his brother Ashton Taylor also enlisted at much the same time-he was KIA on the Somme, 1st August 1916.

A prima faciae reading of the Gibb file suggests he dumped her and b***ggered off back to NZ in May 1918, unfit for further service with TB. Charitably, she may have assumed that he had snuffed it when she married Dent in 1919. On the other hand, I cannot find any evidence of a divorce-so both John Gibb and Mary Holliday aka Taylor appear to be bigamists

It may confuse you slightly that she only applied for Seymour Taylor's medals in 1927, not 1917-she was with Dent in Oz through the 1920s and spawned another 5 kids.

Might I be a bit nosy and ask what your interest is?   Happy to send over any materials I have or check anything down this way.  I would not wish to be unfair to any of those involved -even after a century and more- nor to upset surviving family-hence my request above.  But,alas, all of us who do any sort of family history work have to realise that every cupboard in every family has skeletons- that not every male ancestor is Francis of Assisi, nor every female a clone of Mother Theresa.

On 05/09/2019 at 17:48, rolt968 said:

Thanks for all that Mike.

Having investigated it all I have no particular interest - except that it was an interesting trail (and I have run across at least one other case of a marriage which seems not to have ended in divorce - yet one party remarried). (I am afraid I am very easily distracted from my own research by an interesting trail!)

I was originally drawn to this thread by the name Gibb (and the question in an earlier post about James Smith Gibb's father and Brechin). I have been researching a Gibb family from the Angus Glens a number of whom appear on war memorials I am working on.

I can now answer the question James Smith Gibb's father (David) was born in Dundee and his grandfather was born in Coupar Angus which I am fairly sure means they are not related to my Gibbs.

RM

Thanks RM-  Bet you miss the "News of the World"

Yes, this John Stuart Gibb has a father called David Gibb on the marriage certificate from 27th May 1917 (Got the date wrong above). He is described as a soldier..

At least we know what Anzacs did on leave in the UK  :wub:

I have just about done Seymour Taylor- the slightly worrying glitch for the wife is that I have yet to trace a pension record for her and 3 kids-  WFA still to come.