Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jones G - Gloucesters

andiS

I'm putting details to the names on the Roll of Honour in Ashton Keynes village hall (I've been staring at it during Tai Chi for 12 months!).

I've managed to sort out who is who from the CWGC site, apart from one solider of the Gloucestershire Regiment

He's listed as: Jones, G

There are several Jones, G with no home town listed on the CWGC, and none with Ashton Keynes named - would SDGW have more information, and could somebody look it up for me please?

Thanks

andy

As you say there are several G Jones, SDGW lists 10 in the Glos., three with second initials.

Ashton Keynes is on the Wilts/Glos border iirc. Closest would be 7170 George, born Kemble Glos, enlisted London, L/Cpl, Killed in action 15/05/15 France & Flanders, 1st Battalion Glos.. Second best would probably be 3035 George William, b. Cheltenham, e. Minchinghampton, Glos, Pte, Died 07/03/16 at Sea, &th Battalion Glos. None of the others have place names closer than Gloucester.

As you say there are several G Jones, SDGW lists 10 in the Glos., three with second initials.

Ashton Keynes is on the Wilts/Glos border iirc. Closest would be 7170 George, born Kemble Glos, enlisted London, L/Cpl, Killed in action 15/05/15 France & Flanders, 1st Battalion Glos.. Second best would probably be 3035 George William, b. Cheltenham, e. Minchinghampton, Glos, Pte, Died 07/03/16 at Sea, &th Battalion Glos. None of the others have place names closer than Gloucester.

Thanks - I'd go for Kemble rather than Minch: by the most direct route Ashton to Kemble isn't that far at all.

andy