Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German medal help

welshdoc

thanks Peter, none of them appear to have an iron core although the 1870 one seemed to be rusty. The screw back one i agree looks in such good nick it must be a copy. Its the other 2 Im not sure about. I bought them with some othe stuff as copies but the quality of them and the makers marks made me wonder. Also they were encrusted with all sorts of crud and the silver was heavily stained , looking right for their age.

Gareth

I like the 1870 even if it is a fake the screw back i do not like to new for me i like them battered and worn .

Dan

If I had to pick a fake, it would be the screwback. These are rare, and you would never find one in this good nick. Usually the plating at the back is bent. Plus, you say that none of them are magnetic. Naval examples are rare, and I am 90% certain that all of these may be fakes. Not reproductions, as they are correctly marked. Also, the silver content is 800 which is a high and rare content level. They are to be treated as suspicious. <_<

Cheers :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gareth, unfortunately No 1 and no 2 are well known fakes, the first looks like a modern one piece casting,the third looks to be genuine

edit, here's a link to the same 1870 cross at GMIC

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29460

regards

Alex K

Thanks all, all 3 are fakes, I knew the screwback one didnt look right but it was the makers marks on the other two that threw me. Still a good lesson learnt not to buy iron crosses on EBAY. In fairness they did come with a war merit medal and they were priced up as copies although the seller did not deem fit to mention the fact. Caveat emptor.

Thanks all, all 3 are fakes, I knew the screwback one didnt look right but it was the makers marks on the other two that threw me. Still a good lesson learnt not to buy iron crosses on EBAY. In fairness they did come with a war merit medal and they were priced up as copies although the seller did not deem fit to mention the fact. Caveat emptor.

Unfortunately if you collect German Military stuff it's a complete nightmare unless you know what you're looking for. This particular area has become a gold-mine for the fakers and bad boys who will fleece you with junk (Unfortunately the junk is getting better and better at fooling especially for the uninitiated). It used to be Third Reich stuff but now they've cottoned on to imperial collectors also. That's one reason why I've gave up collecting and now maintain an academic interest only. It's even begining to happen to British medal collectors with re-named medals and so I understand, new Laser cut dies to produce new "Old" medals.

The advice given to me is if you're serious about collecting, do plenty of studying of original stuff and be familiar with the objects, Fakes however good can't totally reproduce all the nuances of the original item. In time you will get an appreciation of what's right and what's not. Having said that I have a box full of junk somewhere in the garage which I bought as genuine but turned out to be garbage, as you say Caveat emptor

regards

Alex K