Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Forgive me for going on-

WASMAN

forgive me for going on about WW2 but I feel very strongly that we are running out of time to collect as much information from the boys that are left as we can, as I see it WW2 was a continuation of the Great War and so I hope you don't mind me bleating on about it, Though the amount of people attending remembrance services throughout the country and in my home town of Atherton seem to have grown, less and less of the old chaps are there each year, we must learn from the past and don't loose all the untold stories as we have now done with the Great War vets, Remembering what they did each year is great but actually knowing what they did is what we must now work towards. Don't turn your back on WW2 or Korea or any of our other wars and conflicts, for us to have been there at the time it must have been important, so lets all do our bit for modern day history and ask our relatives "what did you do in the war."

Wasman

I have just finished work on my local war memorial, and the logical progression from that is to record all the old soldiers. Am working with the local branch of the British Legion to make the recordings...

John

Don't turn your back on WW2 or Korea or any of our other wars and conflicts

Couldn't agree more.

My father served in the Suez Canal Zone for 3 years in the early 50's (yes, he finally got his medal last year :)) and I'm trying to get him to write down his memories of his time there.

There are precious few articles about the SCZ in the 50's (not including the invasion) and even the NAM don't seem to acknowledge it. In the NAM there used to be a wooden plaque with all the wars/conflicts the British Army have served in since WW2, but there was no mention of the SCZ - except for the later invasion.

Absolutely. I advise anyone interested in this fascinating and highly important task to contact (or, better, join the Friends of) the Second World War Experience centre - http://www.war-experience.org/. It's run by Peter Liddle who did similar stuff, to great effect, for WWI in the 60s, 70s & 80s. They have plenty of advice of how best to get oral history - questions to ask, equipment to use, etc and then a great archive to put it in. They say we only realistically have five more years to save the bulk of WWII experience out there.