Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scot War Diaries I have

tommie

John,

My 2nd/10th Diary starts 18th July 1918 and finishes 26th June 1919.

Tom

2nd RSF Diary June 1915

Thanks a lot Tom. There also seems to be some confusion over his name...

Your site - John Leslie Laxton Sweet

CWGC - John Leslie Laxon Sweet

Canadian Great War Project - John Leslie Lemon Sweet

Clive,

Email Sent

Tom

Tom

I don't know if you have managed to get any of the other Bn's as I have a newspaper article about William Nelson of the 5th Bn who was reported missing on the 28th June 1915. I would be very interested in the page for that day. If you have managed to get your hands on it.

Many thanks

Regards

Paul

John,

My 2nd/10th Diary starts 18th July 1918 and finishes 26th June 1919.

Tom

Thanks Tom, that makes sense now that I think of it,the 10th as a battalion wouldn't go overseas until then, I would have to go to the recipient battalion, the 12th, to find mention of reinforcements.

Cheers - John

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tom,

I am researching my Grandfather, Robert Kerr #26301, who was in the 13th Battalion Royal Scots and landed in France in 4th Ocober 1915. I am new to this and am just feeling my way along at present. I would appreciate it if you could send me some information from the diaries on 13th Royal Scots for the dates 15th to 18th May 1916, or anything else that may help me in my search.

Regards

Hugh

• 2 months later...
  • Admin
Hello All,

I have managed to get copies of all the above Diaries (Working on the rest ;) ), if any forum member would like an Extract or a Page or two from any of them please do not hesitate to let me know.

I will try and track this post as in the past a number of requests have slipped me by, so if you could please also PM me the details that would be brill.

Tom

Hello Tom.

My great uncle Percy Foster served in the 14th (Service) Battalion of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (perhaps a bit longer than your grandfather although he was from the East Midlands so I've no idea what he was doing there!) and was killed in the bombing raid on Etaples on the 19/20 May 1918. He is buried at Etaples Military Cemetery Plot LXV11.D.2.

The main site shows on the 7th April 1918 the 14th battalion was reduced to a cadre and transferred to 90th Brigade in the 30th Division. On a recent visit to Etaples we were staggered by the number of casualties for the 20th May, and I've been learning a lot about that night. Alongside Percy were men from many Scots Regiments including 7th Bn Seaforth Highlanders, 1st Bn Cameronians 1st Bn Gordon Highlanders and the Royal Scots and the Black Watch. Of course S**s Law means I didn't make a note of the Royal Scots Bn so don't know if you have the diary of the unit that was presumably in the same Division at that time. If you do could you post the entry for that night. I'm also interested as to what they were all doing in Etaples. Hope you can help I'm trying to collect as many accounts of the raid as I can. Sorry I don't have more information about the Royal Scots Bn.

Thanks

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom

Could you please have a look at the 2 Bn. Diary for goings on between 12 and 16 July 1915. I believe they were around Sanctuary Wood. I am looking for info on the death of four soldiers and one officer. One of the soldiers was Sgt Daniel Cain. The RSM was another of the men killed.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Tom

Would be very grateful if you could email me copy of the 17th Bn Diary for 28th and 19th September 1918.

Or see if there is any mention of Pte William Robertson 59166 'D' coy 17th Bn Royal Scots

Will pm address

Cheers Mike

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am looking for the war diary of the 1ste Batallion, period 9 May - 22 May 1915 (Sanctuary Wood)

pm underway

Regards,

Cnock

Hello,

I am looking for the war diary of the 1ste Batallion, period 9 May - 22 May 1915 (Sanctuary Wood)

pm underway

Regards,

Cnock

Cnock,

Unfortunately i do not have the 1st Battalion War Diary Yet :(

Tom

• 1 month later...

Hi Tom,

do You have the diary for 5/6th Royal Scots at Nieuport for 11/9-12/9/1917?

Regards,

Cnock

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello, Tom: 2 Royal Scots 1st and 2nd September 1918. Any information gratefully received. Thank you. Antony.

Hi Tom

Do the war diaries cover the 2/7th Royal Scots while they were in Ireland

Thanks in anticipation

John C

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Tom,

just came across your offer of looking up extracts from the Royal Scots war diaries.

I would be interested to know where the 13th battalion were between the first & third week of December 1918.

Also of interest would be what happened to the 13th once the war was over. ie where were they & what sort of duties were they involved in upto around April 1919, even just a synopsis to get an idea would be really interesting.

My interest in the 13th has come about since I found out my grandfather was with them from early/mid Dec. 1916 until April 1919. perhaps you could tell me if it is practical to ask Kew for a photocopy or is the diary too big to make this practical. I saw it was not one of the ones on line but do you know if it has been published or not as I would eventually like to read it for the whole time period,

many thanks

Rod

ps will pm you as well

• 2 weeks later...

Tom: a thousand, thousand times "thank-you" for the extracts provided. You're a Real Pal. Antony

Rod,

Email Sent

Tom

Paul

5th RS 28th June 1915

post-13002-1252051956.jpg

Send my your Email and i will send full pages as pdf.

Tom

Hi, looking for 13th Btn data re the 15.9.18 death of L/Cpl Archibald McAlpine 41176, or to at least get a handle on what the unit was up to when these casualties were incurred. Thanks!

Hello All,

I have managed to get copies of all the above Diaries (Working on the rest ;) ), if any forum member would like an Extract or a Page or two from any of them please do not hesitate to let me know.

I will try and track this post as in the past a number of requests have slipped me by, so if you could please also PM me the details that would be brill.

Tom

Hello All,

Hi.

Can you help with my research.

My Grandfather Henry Conley 302289 was with the 2/7th Royal Scots in Ireland and I think was posted to France with the 2/9th Royal Scots in Feb 1918.

He was wounded soon after. Can you tell me if the diaries list wounded Privates, if so I will look up the diaries.

Thanks in anticipation

Regards John C

• 1 month later...

Hi

Does the 3rd have a diary?

My Grandfather's MIC says Posted to 3rd so would like to see if there is something on it.

I will be downloading the 12th from the National Archives soon- he was originally in that.

thanks

Robert

^_^

Hi Tom

Any chance of extract from the 9th War Diary for 20/21 September 1917 , any mention of Acting Serjeant James Sullivan being awarded a MM??

Any info greatfully received

Mart