Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scot War Diaries I have

tommie

Hello All,

I have managed to get copies of all the above Diaries (Working on the rest ;) ), if any forum member would like an Extract or a Page or two from any of them please do not hesitate to let me know.

I will try and track this post as in the past a number of requests have slipped me by, so if you could please also PM me the details that would be brill.

Tom

Hello Tom...

Would the Diary of 2/Royal Scots mention where they were (summer camp, maneuvers or barracks in Plymouth??) when mobilization began in 1914???

thanks,

drummer

Guest KevinEndon

Tom, I am looking for the week leading upto and including 09/04/1917, 04/06/1917 both 2nd btn

and the week leading upto and including 28/03/18 and 16/05/18 both 13th Btn

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Hi Tom,

many thanks for your kind offer.

Re the 2nd Battalion.

Would you please post the week 21st to 28 March 1918

Cheers,

Graeme

Drummer,

Im affraid it does not say much about Plymouth,

4th Aug 5.18 PM Order to Mobilise.

5th Precautionary Posts relieved by Territorials.

6th Three 3rd Battalion Officers 160 Reservists arrived.

7th 507 Reserists arrived.

8th 50 Regular Cadre from depot & few Reservists joined.

9th Fifth day ready to go but order recieved to wait.

10th Peace details under Capt Tanner 2 Officers & 195 other to 3rd Bn. at Weymouth

13th The Battalion left Plymouth in two trains for Southampton where they embarked on the SS Mombassa.

post-13002-1214936643.jpg

Tom

Kevin,

Send me your Email Address and i will send you PDF's of the 2nd Battalion entries.

Tom

post-13002-1214939261.gif

post-13002-1214939268.gif

Graeme,

Send me your Email Address and i will send you a PDF with the dates you are after.

Tom

Kevin,

The 13th Battalion has one of the best War diaries I have ever seen, for March there are 17 pages, and 34 pages for May these both include Trench Relieving Tables and detailed Patrol Reports, I will email you them later tonight.

Tom

Thanks Tom...I have been trying to find out where the battalions of the 8th Brigade were when they got the orders..All I know for sure is that the 2/Royal Irish Regt was at Willsworthy Camp. Their Diary starts July 29th.

drummer

Graeme,

PDF sent, if you dont get it let me know.

Tom

Hi There,

Did you copy the extra bits at the back of the 2/10th diary ?

The article by the sniper, I read it when i was at the castle and i think

I have his medals Maurice Lumb 376908. I'm sure it's the same man.

Any chance of a check ?

Cheers Davie

P.S. Did you get my reply to your P.M.

Davie,

I will have a look tonight David, i must have missed your post last night.

Tom

Davie,

My copy was made from the large Photocopy book held at HQ, the article by the sniper is not in it.

Would you like me to check RHQ tommorrow?

Tom

Hi Tom, I found a page in my late Dad's Medical Records that shows he was in Russia? from approx May 1919 until Dec 1919 with the 2nd Bn Royal Scots Fusiliers! He was Pte Jeffrey Appleyard No 130439,I am led to beleive he was in a place called Novorossiysk etc. Do you have anything at all on that period of time please.Jeff

Hi Tom,

If you could check that i would be greatful.

Davie

David,

The following is the intro to the the Diary of Maurice Lamb, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment, Yorkshire Dragoons, and then 2nd / 10th Royal Scots.

During the last year of the First World War (1918), the Allies occupied Archangel to safeguard military stores in the town, and to assist those Russians who were opposed to Bolshevism. On August 2nd, 1918 Allied warships anchored in the harbour, and the Red troops having fled, an Allied force was landed. The main force of the Bolsheviks was defeated some miles South of Archangel by the Allies, who by October had pushed up to Siletskaya, (160 miles south).

During the Winter, the Allied front stretched in a curve which was deepest at Shenkursk, 180 miles S.E., of Archangel. In January, 1919, the Reds attacked and compelled the abandonment of the Shenkursk. A British relief force reached Archangel on May 26th, and in June, the Allies advanced up the Dvina, taking 2000 prisoners. However, the attempt to join forces with the Anti-Boilshevist armies West of the Urals, failed and evacuation was ordered. On September 27th, the British base at Archangel was closed, and the Bolshevists occupied the town.

Such is the official account.

The record of his army service written by my friend Maurice Lumb, is the factual account of his experiences during part of this campaign. Obviously, his expert use of his rifle was an important factor in his survival. But when one reads of the monotonous diet, the extreme cold, and the hardships endured during the Russian winter, one can understand that in addition to the Bolshevik menace, the most trying enemy was the terrible climate that had also defeated one of the finest armies to ever fight on Russian soil: that of Napoleon.

Cpl M Lumb

Born at Barwick in Elmet near Leeds

On 28 May 1899

Died 7 May 1999

The Diary came from a friend of Maurice's called Mr Gooch.

Tom

Hi Tom

Would you be good enough to send me the 13th Battn. diary details for July /August 1916. You will find a direct e-mail link from my website in the signature below if a large file.

Thanks

Tom, if it's not too much trouble, I'd very much like a copy of the 2nd's diary for Aug/Sep 1914.

I noticed in an earlier post that 2nd arrived in Bolougne on the 14th Aug, yet the qualifying date on my Great Uncles MIC is 11th Aug.

Thanks

Neil

Hi Tom

Thanks very much for the info.

This is the same man.Nice to have a confirmed snipers medals.

Did you read the diary ?

Cheers

Davie

• 2 months later...

Hi Tom,

I'm reasearching 2nd Lt John Sweet of 2nd Bn. Royal Scots Fusiliers who is remembered on my village war memorial in Woodham, Surrey. He was killed 16 June 1915 at Givenchy. Any info you have about him or the diary entries from around his date of death would be much appreciated esp. a copy of the diary entry. My email is clivetemple@mac.com

Incidentally his date of entry into theatre is (as per his MIC) the same day he died, I find it hard to believe he died on his first day in France though?

Thanks,

Clive

Clive,

Unfortunately I do not have any of the Royal Scots Fusiliers war diaries, only have Royal Scots.

I have however put a copy of John's MIC and Canadian Attestation Paper on the web page below which gives details of him serving in the 4th Devons and the HAC before moving to be a Solicitor in Canada.

John Laxon Leslie Sweet

Tom

Thanks a lot Tom. There also seems to be some confusion over his name...

Your site - John Leslie Laxton Sweet

CWGC - John Leslie Laxon Sweet

Canadian Great War Project - John Leslie Lemon Sweet

Hello Tom

I wonder if you could supply details regarding the 2nd Royal Scots for the dates 26th to 27th August 1914.

I am currently in conversation with the Scottish National War Memorial about a possible ommission from th Scottish ROH: Lance Corporal 8755 William Anderson, who was initially listed as missing after his battalion was involved in fighting at Le Cateau.

His service papers have survived and indicate that an Army Chaplain believed this man to have been KIA. He is remembered on the CWGC website but not on the SNWM or indeed the Royal Scots portions of 'Soldiers Died in the Great War' book or CD-Rom.

I've been asked by the SNWM to supply a copy of his service record details in order that they can investigate whether this man should be added to the Scottish ROH at the Castle.

I will will PM you with my contact details

Regards

LIT

Hello Tom. hope you are well. Could you oblige and check the 2/10th war diary for me, post Somme July/August for a batch of replacements being sent to the 12th RS in France. I don't think it would be any later than that but possibly September.

John