Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Guthrie RAMC

auchonvillerssomme

I'm looking for any information on Lt GW Guthrie RAMC died 13/11/1916 buried in Knightsbridge Cemetery, Mesnil.

Any info apart from that on CWGC and SDGW gratefully accepted

Mick

Mick

Had a look through De Ruvigny's and the National Roll of Honour, afraid he is not listed in either.

Stuart

Commissioned as Lieutenant (London Gazette#29640, 26 June 1916)

The undermentioned to be temp. Lieuts.:—

29th May 1916.

James Alexander Paterson, M.B.

Henry Dyas Gasteen.

Echlin Storry Molyneux.

John Bruce McMorland,.M.B.

Francis Justin McCarthy, M.B.

George Watson Guthrie, M.B.

George Edwin Chissell.

Link to Gazette is Here

Regards

Steve

This appears to be his MIC on NA, not available on Ancestry yet as far as I can see.

Description Medal card of Guthrie, George Watson

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Army Medical Corps Attached Royal Naval Division Lieutenant

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/8

Link to it is Here

Regards

Steve

His entry from Royal Naval Division Casualties of the Great War:-

Name: George Watson Guthrie

Service Branch: Army

Unit: 3rd (RN) Field Ambulance, Royal Marines Medical Unit (RAMC attached 3rd RN Field Ambulance)

Death Date: 13 Nov 1916

Cause of Death: Killed in action

Burial: Knightsbridge Cemetery, Mesnil-Martinsart (FR 220)

Notes: V.B. only ; No service papers found.

Regards

Steve

Thanks Stuart and Steve, I didn't think to look on RND casualties!

Mick

Mick

He has a Times Obituary in 4th January 1917

LIEUTENANT GEORGE WATSON GUTHRIE, R.A.M.C., attached Royal Naval Division, killed on November 13, was the fourth and youngest son of the late Rev. David K. Guthrie and grandson of Dr. Thomas Guthrie, of Edinburgh. For reasons of health he was advised to forgo the medical career, for which he had qualified, and, having been offered a position with the firm of Messrs, Williamson, Balfour, and Co., he had pursued a business career in various responsible posts in Chile, finally becoming a partner in Milne and Co., at Lima, Peru, whence he came to offer his services. A chaplain, writing of "the glorious work he did all through the day." adds:-" He was a giant physically and morally. We shall never forget Guthrie, of the 3rd Field Ambulance. Many of us feel better men for having known him.”

Regards

Pam

Mick

I think I have found him in 1891 Census in Edinburgh.

Son of David K and Hannah Guthrie. His father was a Minister of Liberton Free Church and he looks to have been born at the Manse in Liberton in about 1877 so was around 39 years when he died.

We are in France at the moment but I can check the Edinburgh University Roll of Honour and some of the Edinburgh School one's that we have when I get back home to see if he features. If you want me to do this let me know and I'll sort it out when we return home at the weekend.

Regards

Pam

Thanks Pam, thats brilliant. I'm in France at the moment as well. I like to select a man every month or so and find all I can about him. I see him every time I go into that particular cemetery and always mean to put him on my list.

Mick

This appeared in my local paper at the time, it's very brief as it's not really from the catchment area of the paper. His Grandfather was the founder of Dr Guthries school for boys in Gilmerton, part of Edinburgh, it is still standing. It was a school for 'problem boys' shall we say.

post-12171-1214913136.jpg

And this from Edinburgh Uni roll of Honour, they have him as killed at Beaumont Hamel whilst serving the RND.

post-12171-1214913695.jpg

John thanks for that, nice to have a picture as well.

Mick

Mick

I see John beat me to it with the Edinburgh Univ Roll.

He was educated at George Watson College (1886-1895). He then studied medicine at Edinburgh University (1895-1900). M.B., Ch.B 1900

There is a photo of him in the Watsonian War Record it is very similar but not exactly the same as the one in the Edinburgh Univ Roll if you want a copy let me know and I'll sort it out.

From "The South Pacific Mail - War Memorial Number"

GUTHRIE, GEORGE WATSON

(Lima, Peru)

Firm: Milne and Co.

Service: Royal Army Medical Corps.

Killed in Action

Lieut. G.W. Guthrie was killed in November, 1916 when rescuing wounded during a furious battle in France. He was serving in the R.A.M.C. attached to King Edwards' Horse.

The deceased officer, who was 38 years of age, was the fourth son of the late Rev. David Guthrie of Liberton, near Edinburgh and grandson of the Rev Dr Thomas Guthrie, DD preacher and philanthropist. His mother was Irish, being a daughter of Sir John Kirk. He was educated at Watson's College and Edinburgh University, where he distinguished himself in athletics. Had he not strained his heart he would almost certainly have been selected to represent Scotland at Rugby football. At the University G.W. Guthrie studied medicine and later became House Surgeon of Middlesex Hospital and Assistant to Sir T Bland Sutton. A severe attack of scarlet fever affected his health so greatly as to necessitate his taking long sea voyages and it was upon one of these voyages as Surgeon on the SS "Oravia" that he first visited Chile in 1903.

Shortly after he decided to abandon medicine as a profession in view of the state of his health, and in October 1903 he came out to Chile again to join the staff of Messrs. Williamson, Balfour and Co. After eleven years residence in Concepcion and Valparaiso, he became a partner in the firm of Messrs Milne and Co., Lima, and from Lima he went home in April 1916 to join the R.A.M.C. being sent to France a few weeks later.

Of a charming personality, a good raconteur with a great sense of humour, Lieutenant Guthrie had the knack of making friends wherever he went. Casual to a degree, due doubtless to his Irish descent, he, however, never gave lasting offence, and it may truly be said of him that he had not a single enemy. His many deeds of kindness, especially to sick children in Concepcion and elsewhere, will not soon be forgotten. In a case of illness no sacrifice, was too great for him, and his last sacrifice of all was a fitting testimony to the standard of his life.

Again there is a picture similar but not quite the same as the others.

Regards

Pam

Pam If you could copy the pic I would be grateful.

What a fantastic obit. I am really glad I asked the question and very grateful for the responses.

Mick

Mick

Photo from South Pacific Mail

We only have a photocopy of the publication hence the quality is not so good.

Regards

Pam