Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cpt Stearne Tighe Edwards, DSM, DSC, RAF

Graham Sharpe

Hi,

Can any one help with the circumstances surrounding the death of Cpt. Stearne Tighe EDWARDS, DSM, DSC.

Apparently he was an 'ace' fighter pilot but was killed in a flying accident when werving with 38 TS at Bramham Moor/Tadcaster.

Any help with details of the incident, aircraft type, location would be most appreciated but also any details of his operational career would be a great interest.

Graham Sharpe.

Hello Graham

Please take a look at some of the details on our Tadcaster site

Quite a famous Canadian , type his name onto an internet search and you will find a umber of sites that mention him ,including letters from himself and his best friend Roy Brown of Red Baron fame

His grave is just a minutes walk from my house

Thanks

Andy

:rolleyes:

Graham,

This pilot was actually with 38 TDS (Training Depot Station) at Tadcaster, not 38 TS. He was killed on 12 November 1918 when he spun in his Sopwith Pup B4181. He died the same day of his injuries.

Hope this helps,

Trevor

Graham,

This pilot was actually with 38 TDS (Training Depot Station) at Tadcaster, not 38 TS. He was killed on 12 November 1918 when he spun in his Sopwith Pup B4181. He died the same day of his injuries.

Hope this helps,

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Many thanks for the ID of the aircraft and the correction to 38 TDS, not 38 TS.

CWGC have his date of death as 2nd Nov. 1918. Tadcaster War Memorial web site have his date of death as 21st November, 1918, then later in their script give 22nd November, 1918.. A little confusing.

His grave stone has no date of death on it.

Graham.

Hello Graham

Please take a look at some of the details on our Tadcaster site

Quite a famous Canadian , type his name onto an internet search and you will find a umber of sites that mention him ,including letters from himself and his best friend Roy Brown of Red Baron fame

His grave is just a minutes walk from my house

Thanks

Andy

:rolleyes:

Thanks Andy,

I have had a look at the Tadcaster Memorial site. What confuses me is that it quotes two dates of death, 21st & 22nd November, 1918. CWGC quote 2nd November, 1918.

Graham.

Graham,

The date of 12.11.1918 was recorded off the RAF Casualty Card. I'd say that as he is not in Chris Hobson's Airmen Died, which runs to November 11th, that the 2nd of November can't be right. The date in the Air Britain Sopwith Pup monograph by Bruce Page and Sturtivant also matches the one I gave, so the 12th looks correct, on balance.

Odd that there should have been such confusion, however - rather unusual.

Regards,

Trevor

ADM 273/7/225 Page 225: Stearne Tighe Edwards DSC. RNAS Officers Service register and his RAF service record should be in AIR 76, that will give his date of death. I have not found his other ranks service register online.

ADM 273/7/225 Page 225: Stearne Tighe Edwards DSC. RNAS Officers Service register and his RAF service record should be in AIR 76, that will give his date of death. I have not found his other ranks service register online.

Many thanks.

All web sites I have found with details of S T Edwards quote his date of death as 22nd Nov. 1918.

Graham Sharpe.

Edwards was critically injured in a flying accident on 12th November 1918, and subsequently died on 22nd November. He was actually at No.2 Fighting School at Marske when he had the accident.

I have more details of his injuries somewhere in my chaotic filing system, including letters from his CO at 38TDS and from No.2 Fighting School.

Regards,

Mike

Cpt. Stearne Tighe EDWARDS, was a DSC (LG 2 Nov 1917) and bar (LG 21 June 1918), he did not sere in the ranks nor did he receive a DSM. His service record (AIR 76/147 Edwards, A D - Edwards, T F) confirms his death on 22 November 1918.

Edwards was critically injured in a flying accident on 12th November 1918, and subsequently died on 22nd November. He was actually at No.2 Fighting School at Marske when he had the accident.

I have more details of his injuries somewhere in my chaotic filing system, including letters from his CO at 38TDS and from No.2 Fighting School.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

The location is most interesting. If you ever do find out about his injuries or what he was doing up at Marske, I would appreciate the information.

Thanks,

Graham Sharpe.

Cpt. Stearne Tighe EDWARDS, was a DSC (LG 2 Nov 1917) and bar (LG 21 June 1918), he did not sere in the ranks nor did he receive a DSM. His service record (AIR 76/147 Edwards, A D - Edwards, T F) confirms his death on 22 November 1918.

Thats great, thanks very much. I will amend my files accordingly.

Graham Sharpe.