Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Environmental Impact of WW1 on the Western Front

elle72

I found this online article today by M. R. Mulford - 'World War I in Northeastern France as an Environmental Event'

http://www.frontiernet.net/~mmulford/ww1.htm

Really interesting stuff and heaps of statistics (e.g. France lost 1 men in every 28 to the war) . Plus a great aerial photo of Lochnagar Crater.

The information on the impact of shelling & explosives (during and after the war) is really enlightening.

Cheers,

Elle

Thanks Elle, looks interesting, not read it all yet but saved it for later.

Annette

Excellent. Thanks for the posting. The effect of the Spanish Flue I found to be incredible.

Quite some time ago, there was a thread on lead pollution on the western front. Some very interesting stuff posted in it. It ought to turn up in a search.

I found this online article today by M. R. Mulford - 'World War I in Northeastern France as an Environmental Event'

http://www.frontiernet.net/~mmulford/ww1.htm

Really interesting stuff and heaps of statistics (e.g. France lost 1 men in every 28 to the war) . Plus a great aerial photo of Lochnagar Crater.

The information on the impact of shelling & explosives (during and after the war) is really enlightening.

Cheers,

Elle

It was not one man out of every twenty eight men, but one soldier for every twenty eight men, women and children. Of all the men of military age in France in 1914, one in six was killed. If we include wounded, we can say, without exaggeration, that half of all French males who were between the age of 16 and 40 in 1914 died or shed their blood in the war.

Phil.