Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Field Artillery

Dannemois

Can someone please explain this:

On searching the CWGC site with information off a military stone in our local cemetery the following comes up:

Maund A:

Maund, Albert Henry, Driver, 2"B" Reserve Bde, D of D 01/05/1917, Service Number 74335, son of John & Victoria Maund; husband of Jessie Jeremiah [formerly Maund], of 8 Bristol Terrace, Brithdir. Born at Ynysybwl

I could not locate his medal card but found a Alfred Keatinge, RFA, 24th Bn with the same service number [74335]

Roy

Roy, Not unusual for soldiers to have the same number, A Maund is not on Soldiers Died either.Ralph.

Roy, it could be that Albert Maund didn't serve overseas and hence has no medal card. You could try the local archives for newspapers of the day, there could be a report of his death,

cheers, Jon

Hello Roy.

He was actually Henry Albert Maund, birth registered September 1873, Merthyr Registration District. I have picked him up in both the 1881 and 1891 censuses living with his parents John and Victoria. He was born in Gellygaer.

Interestingly, there was a civil registration of the death of Albert Henry Maund, aged 43, in the June quarter of 1917, in the Merthyr Registration District. Possibly the same chap?

Worth investigating further!

Noel

post-34874-1214849086.jpg

Hello Roy.

He was actually Henry Albert Maund, birth registered September 1873, Merthyr Registration District. I have picked him up in both the 1881 and 1891 censuses living with his parents John and Victoria. He was born in Gellygaer.

Interestingly, there was a civil registration of the death of Albert Henry Maund, aged 43, in the June quarter of 1917, in the Merthyr Registration District. Possibly the same chap?

Worth investigating further!

Noel

Hi Noel

post-34874-1214849086.jpg

See attached image of A H Maund militery stone at the local cemetery. I would be interested in the 1891 census returns for this man, could you please post a copy here?

Roy

1891 census. RG12/4435, folio 73, pages 55, 56

19 Mary Street, Merthyr Tydfil.

John MAUND, head, married, 56, colliery clerk, born Breconshire, Brecon.

Victoria MAUND, wife, married, 52, born Cardigan, Aberystwyth.

Frederick MAUND, son, single, 24, coal miner, born Breconshire, Brecon.

Mary Kate MAUND, daur, single, 22, milliner, born Breconshire, ?? (my Welsh place names not too good!)

William James MAUND, son, single, 20, born Carmarthen, ??

Henry Albert MAUND, son, single, 17, engine driver, born Glamorgan, Gellygaer.

If you would like a copy of these two pages, please send me a PM with your direct e-mail address. I can do the same for 1881 if you wish.

It was/is not uncommon for people to reverse their two forenames, or indeed, to abandon them altogether. Given the information on CWGC, unless there was another Albert Henry, son of John and Victoria Maund, it seems likely that the above man is the one.

I also found, in September 1907, a marriage of Henry Albert MAUND to Jessie GAUNTLETT, and two children probably born to these parents in June 1912 (Arthur C.) and December 1915 (Yolande E.).

It does all seem to fit Henry Albert.

Noel

1891 census. RG12/4435, folio 73, pages 55, 56

19 Mary Street, Merthyr Tydfil.

John MAUND, head, married, 56, colliery clerk, born Breconshire, Brecon.

Victoria MAUND, wife, married, 52, born Cardigan, Aberystwyth.

Frederick MAUND, son, single, 24, coal miner, born Breconshire, Brecon.

Mary Kate MAUND, daur, single, 22, milliner, born Breconshire, ?? (my Welsh place names not too good!)

William James MAUND, son, single, 20, born Carmarthen, ??

Henry Albert MAUND, son, single, 17, engine driver, born Glamorgan, Gellygaer.

If you would like a copy of these two pages, please send me a PM with your direct e-mail address. I can do the same for 1881 if you wish.

It was/is not uncommon for people to reverse their two forenames, or indeed, to abandon them altogether. Given the information on CWGC, unless there was another Albert Henry, son of John and Victoria Maund, it seems likely that the above man is the one.

I also found, in September 1907, a marriage of Henry Albert MAUND to Jessie GAUNTLETT, and two children probably born to these parents in June 1912 (Arthur C.) and December 1915 (Yolande E.).

It does all seem to fit Henry Albert.

Noel

Hi Noel

Many thanks for the information, it is appreciated and its fine as is. Gauntlett is a familiar name in the village so that has given me something to work on.

Thanks again

Best regards

Roy

• 1 year later...
Hi Noel

Many thanks for the information, it is appreciated and its fine as is. Gauntlett is a familiar name in the village so that has given me something to work on.

Thanks again

Best regards

Roy

Hi All,

Henry Albert Maund is my Great Grandfather and Jessie my Great Grandmother, I would be really interested to know if you have uncovered any further information. I would be really interested to find out more on what he was doing in the Army and how he died (I have not yet obtained his death certificate so as yet I am unaware of his cause of death).

Regards

Chris

• 1 month later...
Hi All,

Henry Albert Maund is my Great Grandfather and Jessie my Great Grandmother, I would be really interested to know if you have uncovered any further information. I would be really interested to find out more on what he was doing in the Army and how he died (I have not yet obtained his death certificate so as yet I am unaware of his cause of death).

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris

If you would like to contact me via the PM system I will be only too pleased to help.

Regards, Roy