Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Thomas Mellor

Liam

A friend of my mother's was telling me about her grandfather, John Thomas Mellor who was awarded the Military Medal in WW1. All we know is that he served in the Sherwood Foresters as a stretcher bearer.

He was badly injured in a gas attack and never fully recovered, dying in 1945. Before then, however, he apparantly pawned his medl to the landlady of one of our local pubs.

I have searched and searched online to no avail and wondered whether anyone can help

Thanks

Liam

Liam

I've looked at the MICs online and agree there are probably too many likely candidates to be sure which is which - although there is only one John T Mellor serving with the Sherwoods (and later the Royal Defence Corps). I can't see any obvious double listings which would indicate a second card for the MM against any of the Mellors (he could be there using either initial, of course)

A possible source of information might well be the local newspaper which could have had mention of his medal award.

But before you put too much effort in, is there any hard evidence that he served with the Sherwoods and/or was awarded the MM?

John

There is a John Thomas Mellor of the sherwood foresters on ancestry papers...

no mention of MM though - he was from Stockport this JTM. Perhaps he rejoined with another regiment and won the MM ?

Thanks for the replies John and Coldstreamer, much appreciated.

I think I need to ask a few more questions about the medal and regiment.

Will post more when I get it but once again thanks

Liam

Liam

The man that you might be looking for is:-

Private 14186 John T Mellor who served with the 16th Battn Sherwood Foresters.

If this is the man then:-

His MM award is in the London Gazette of 14.1.1918 for Gallantry and devotion to duty during operations at Bulgar Wood on 21/21st September 1917.

According to his Service Number he would have listed in September 1914 (double check with Andy Hesketh for a more precise date)

He arrived in France on 30.6.15 and was later transfered to Royal Defence Corps

I'll have a look through the 16th Battn History today to see if any mention of him

John H was right, his MM is under T Mellor, but same service number

cheers

Mike

Wow Mike, Thanks a lot. That is brilliant.

Stupid question but if I search MIC for both John H and T Mellor will I find them both?

If you find any more that would be greatly appreciated

Liam

Hi Liam

I have downloaded both MICs, PM me your e-mail and I will send on to you

cheers

Mike