Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

who will you be remembering?

Skipman

Hi,

I'm with Bruce on this. I'll be remembering the sacrifice all those killed, from whatever army they happened to be there with.

I will be particularly remembering 3/10078 Private Elijah Samuel Briggs of Darnall, Sheffield and 12599 Private William Atkinson of Scholes, Leeds, both 10th Battalion, the West Yorkshire Regiment.

Also 15/488 Private John Henry Hunter of Barwick in Elmet, Leeds, 15th (1st Leeds Pals) Battalion, the West Yorkshire Regiment.

All three men remembered and commemorated on the panels of the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing.

We will remember them.

Nec aspera terrent.

Nigel

Today I will be thinking about all the Irishmen, of every creed and tradition, who went over the top in the battle to end all battle's. Alas it was not.

Peter

Remembering all those who both fought and died on this day.

The Pals at Serre

Railway Hollow CWGC

Norman

post-21884-1214901957.jpg

• Admin

I was stood quietly contemplating in the garden this morning when I remembered a letter I had read in Tommy Goes To War. Arthur Hubbard served in the London Scottish.

He writes that he imagines how it all looks at home, and that the garden must almost be at it's best.

Hubbard survived but took his life some years after the war as he never recovered from his war experiences.

I would like to think of the people at home - be it in GB, Ireland, Newfoundland or wherever - waiting for news. I'm thinking particularly of a quote from an old man relating to the Waterside in Derry (it's from Richard Doherty's book 'The Sons of Ulster') describing the arrival of the news of deaths:

'The women were out in the streets, screaming and crying. Some homes had lost more than one man. It was … just terrible on them.'

Swizz

Remembering them all, and in particular, the 14 old boys of my old school who fell 92 years ago today, most of them as part of the 36th Division attack on the Schwaben Redoubt.

2nd Lt Ernest George Boas

Cpt James Samuel Davidson

2nd Lt Thomas Brignall Elliott

2nd Lt Robert Victor Hamilton

Lt Holt Montgomery Hewitt

2nd Lt William Arthur Hewitt

Lt Arthur Carson Hollywood

2nd Lt James Hollywood

LCpl W King

2nd Lt Thomas George Moore

Lt James Dermot Neill

Cpt Douglas Hill O'Flaherty

LCpl Paul Pollock

Cpt Alfred Maurice Thomson

--

Alan

I will remember the Durham Light Infantry - and those men who were left behind, in particular two young men who had, on seperate occassions saved my fathers life, Tommy Crawford 15th DLI. Had it not been for their bravery I would not be here today.

As with everyone I will remember all who fell on the 1st but in particular the one company from the 1/5th. Cheshires attached to the 56th. Division & Lt. Arthur in particular, seldom mentioned .

Colin

As per the footer of all my posts

Woolly

Remembering all the men who died on this day but in particular the brave Yorkshiremen from Spen Valley a majority serving in the 1st and 2nd Bradford Pals.

RIP

As per the footer of all my posts

Mine too.

post-150-1214936381.jpg

• 2 weeks later...