Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

victor comic

Skipman

Do you remember the VICTOR. wish i had kept them,don't remember any particular ww1 front covers,but am sure us oldies owe them a debt of gratitude for awakening ww1/2 interests.

oh happy days. also read the warlord anyone remember that ?

yep,warlord too,union jack jackson......what do kids read now?

Now you've done it!! :wacko:

I had a collection of 'The VICTOR' from no.1 to about no.447. I loved it. Then another boys paper came onto the market.. 'The Valiant'... The main hero for that comic was 'Captain Hurricaine' (a Royal Marine Commando) and his sidekick.. 'Maggot Malone'...

Ahhhh!.. those were the days!

Seph :D

gawd

I used to get the "Valiant" every week. Captain Hurricane and his "Ragin' furies"

Used to save my School dinner money to buy the "Victor" and the "Hotspur"

D.C Thomsons who published both of these were also responsible for the "Commando" booklets. I can remember going off to BB camp in the summer and these being swapped around and avidly read.

The Victor used to have a true story of military derring do on it's cover every week, always, apart from once that I can remember, from WW2. You would have thought that WW1 would have provided a rich source for them but I think that it's true to say that although this was 20 odd years after 1945 the war was still very much in most adults' thoughts and this was passed on through these comics, airfix models etc to the next generation. At that time although I was only 10 or so I could tell the difference between an ME109e and f. (mainly thanks to DC Thomson's publications and the dedicated people at Airfix!)

regards

Ian

I would get the Victor and my younger brother the Valiant. We never kept them unfortunately.

I see that individual copies start at about £1.25 on Ebay.

Sadly I threw my copies of 'Valiant' and 'Victor' away but I still have several annuals of each. The Victor's 'Sergeant Bob Millar' World War One series from the 1960s has been discussed on another thread. It was a milder (but very Historically accurate) predecessor of the famous 'Charley's War' of a few years later. Baby boomer nostalgia has led to the publication of several reprint collections of 'Commando' picture library titles and its Fleetway rivals 'War' and 'Battle'. I stiil have several dozen originals of these great comic books. I preferred the Fleetway ones which I thought tended to be more sophisticated than the more stereotypical 'Commando'. I notice from my local W.H. Smith's that they still publish 'Commando' today. The current stoies aren't just about World War II-I noticed a Great War tank one. I did start to get the later 'Warlord' but never really rated it. Perhaps I was growing out of comics, but I thought that the stories like 'Union Jack Jackson' weren't as good. My pet theory was that they were no longer being written by men who had served in the war, as the earlier strips largely were.

Fans of the non-war elements of 'Valiant', which was my favourite comic as a kid, might like to know that there are a couple of reprinted volumes of strips featuring Mytek the Mighty, Janus Stark, Kelly's Eye, The Steel Claw,The House of Dollman etc published to tie-in with the recent 'Albion' graphic novel which resurrected many of the Fleetway heroes.

An original 'VC Heroes' Victor cover showing Fusilier Frank Jefferson winning the VC at Monte Cassino is displayed at the Lancashire Fusiliers Museum at Bury. I knew one of the people featured in that strip, Captain (later Colonel) Kevin Hill MC, his company commander, very well. In the strip a speech bubble issues from the mouth of 'Kevin Hill' saying words to the effect of: 'Bravo, look at Jefferson, he's going to tackle that tank on his own!' Kevin confessed to me that he really shouted 'Get down, you bloody fool!'

Does anyone remember 'Cadman the Fighting Coward'? I think that he appeared in Victor but I may be wrong

Liam

I remember both Warlord and Victor I remember several WWI stories in the latter, including the London buses in France. I think it also had a cartoon strip of a WWI German fighter ace, but memory deserts me as to his name. My collection was thrown out in a move by my parents as it took up too much room.

Does anyone remember 'Cadman the Fighting Coward'? I think that he appeared in Victor but I may be wrong

Liam

I remember the "cad",but not which comic

I remember both Warlord and Victor I remember several WWI stories in the latter, including the London buses in France. I think it also had a cartoon strip of a WWI German fighter ace, but memory deserts me as to his name. My collection was thrown out in a move by my parents as it took up too much room.

The first warlord had a collection of replica medals,bet no-one kept them,bound to be worth a fortune by now.

You're venturing into another sub-culture here, but there are regular comics conventions across the UK that may stock old copies the the comics you mention. I'm not sure, because the last convention I went to was back in the 90's and I was looking for American indie stuff, not British 60's mainstream. Or you could buy a copy of "Overstreet", the comic-buyers price-guide bible.

An interesting but incomplete survey. It's mainly about praising 'Charley's War', of course, and doesn't really look at the 1960's Victor strips which preceded it in any detail. The author makes some good points about the difficulties of portraying World War One as the popular view of the war as futile slaughter didn't mesh with the conventions of war comics. However he does not entirely avoid 'Media Studies Speak', is very fond of the word 'deviant' and doesn't know the difference between 'disinterest' and 'uninterest'. Sorry, I had my A-Level marker's hat on there and became carried away. Mind you, apparently in AQA English GCSE these days you get marks for writing '%*!& off' on the paper. It's beyond parody.

The first warlord had a collection of replica medals,bet no-one kept them,bound to be worth a fortune by now.

I can remember them, but alas as you say did not keep them.

God that is taking me back. Perhaps I should get up in the loft and unpack those Warlords mags and have a re-read?

regards

Arm

Regarding the topic of the conversation was medal winners on the cover of the victor. I recall something similar on the cover of the hotspur regarding a local incident in liverpool where someone won a G.C for bomb disposal.

Do kids still read War comics these days? I doubt it, as I haven't noticed any in newsagents. Thats how a lot of us began our interest in WW1 + WW2. They're missing out, for sure.

My boy is only 2, but as soon as he's old enough, I'll be digging out copies of Warlord and Battle from my parents attic!

SteveB

I still buy the occasional Commando comic, and as mentioned they cover all wars from all era now. Not just world war 2. There is a reasonable degree of historical accuracy but the stories all seem to follow the same basic formula, ie: two guys in the same unit hate each other but become brothers in arms after winning each other's respect.

Commandos are great value for money, they are only about £1.20 but contain no adverts. A Marvel or DC comic is twice the price, has far less content and has an advert on virtually every second page.

Hallo all

There are some fantastic & very thick anthologies of

the war comics (but all WW2 tales sadly) available.

War Library and Commando, "The 12 Best Stories",

there's about three or four books on amazon etc

Cracking reads, and none of the political incorrectness removed:

"Take that, you little yellow monkey!" being a favourite to yell at

jungly Japanese servicemen while mowing them down with a Bren

Kind regards

I still have all of them.....yes I remember Cadman.........very amusing story of a WW1 officer who constantly found himself in tricky situations and it was Corporal Tom Smith who got him out of them, only for Cadman to be showered with medals and praise from his superiors. Sounds like the place I used to work at :lol:

The Victor was a damn good comic, the true story of a gallantry medal on the front page. Remember they didnt just write the story of VC winners, there were DSO's, MC's and DCM's.

My favourite character was the Wolf of Kabul:

wolf.jpg

He didnt mess about in Afghanistan! No hearts and minds, straight to the clicky bat!

I seem to remember it was 'clicky ba'

I'll have to climb into the loft and rustle through my rather musty smelling pile of victors to check

mick

I seem to remember it was 'clicky ba'

I'll have to climb into the loft and rustle through my rather musty smelling pile of victors to check

mick

Don't bother with the loft it was clicky ba'

skipman