Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scots Fusilier Guards?

bdmurphy

Good day folks,

I am currently trying to help "her indoors" tracing some family ties. The attached photograph has come to light and I thought it may be of interest to some.

The Drummer boy is believed to be John Frederick Inkster who joined the above in 1873 aged 10 years and 3 months, we don't know which year the picture was taken though.

Any leads, thoughts or comments would be greatfully received.

Many thanks

Dave

post-20615-1214682258.jpg

Hello Dave

If the photo actually says "Scots Fusilier Guards then it is 1877 or earlier, the change of name to Scots Guards having taken place in that year.

The officers' caps are of the late Victorian style but otherwise the uniform hasn't changed much since then.

Ron

If you write to the Scots Guards museum in London, they will be able to give you his service details. The Guards Regiments kept copies of all of there mens records. If you send them a copy of the photo, they may be able to tell you something more about it.

Regards,

Stewart

Dan,

The hats worn by the men at either end and the drummer appear to me to be Broderick Caps. They were introduced about 1902/03 and worn by some units until about 1909-11. They were much disliked by the troops.

Cheers

Chris

Ron, Chris and Stewart.

Many thanks for your input, I'm still trawling the net and will add anything that I come up with.

Regards

Dave

Hi everyone, anyone have any ideas what medals they are wearing?

Cindy