Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembrance Day 2008

hooge1

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is anywhere not booked in Ypres on November 11th this year?

Also does anyone know if there is anything going on in Mons?

Regards Nick

Wonder whether your best bet might be an 'organised trip' as they will have block booked hotels...perhaps one of the Leger guys has some inside info??????

I shall be in Rheims, and after a day on the battlefields, enjoying a glass of bubbly and thinking of you in your dripping tent in a field near Watou. :lol:

And I'll be in a lovely warm caravan for the week at Camping Ypra, Kemmel. :D Altho I'm not sure where we will be remembering on the 11th. I would like to be amongst it.

Thanks NC thats worth considering. If i cant get anything through Ypres i think i may head to Mons got any recomendations where to stay there?

Regards Nick

I am going with a small group of six from Worcester WFA, staying at The Shell Hole - that was - now the Ambrosia I think. Booked it way back last year - initially with John W - but now with the new owners.

They may have a vacancy - they seem to be more interested in cycling tourists from Belgium than the likes of us - but that may change for them as the penny drops !

Dave Fox

I expect there will be a lot of people in Wipers in November but not as many as the Somme 2006.....Leger had 15 coach loads for example and the numbers from NI were huge.....would the local tourist office be able to help???

Some people i know who are going are staying in Pop and even further afield.....

On 11th November I shall do what I always do - pay my own respects at a (probably deserted) local memorial.

I'd shun the crowds and - dare I say - Remembrance-Fest that seems to build up at these anniversaries. I'd rather visit the battlefields and cemeteries with a couple of knowledgeable friends at a time of my choosing than spend time shuffling with the crowds at this year's place to be seen.

If people wnat to go, go by all means, but, for myself, I'd rather remember and say Thank You in my own way, at my own time.

Each to his (or her) own.

My own inclinations would be the same as Steve's, but each to his own I guess. I suppose it's the coach parties of not particularly learned tourists to 'happening' parts of the old Western Front which do most to support the local economies and encourage those communities to trade on Great War tourism which, in turn, encourages continued preservation of the sites and facilities.

ciao,

GAC

I have been on a coach tour in the Past although the tour guide was quite poor i enjoyed meeting some quite learned tourists who have a lot of knowledge to impart as well as intresting stories regarding family members who served on those battlefields.For alot of people coach tours are most convenient way to travel as the vast majority are in the 50+ age group.

I respect all types of remembrance as that is what is important.But for alot of people a certain time on a certain battlefield gives that connection with the past.As GAC states without this type of tourism the battlefield sites would be built on and god knows what, become landfill sites.

Thanks for the advice everyone and may armistice 2008 90 years on be how you would want it.

Regards Nick

Nice sentiments Nick. As long as those who tour the battlefields act with respect. I like many prefer avoid the popular dates and locations.

Regards

John

I managed to get a family room overlooking the Grote Market in the Sultan. There were still rooms available then (24 June).

Have a go: +32 57 219 030

Good luck.

Kind Regards,

SMJ

Hi John,

Agree with you there any one who tours the Battlefields should do with respect i think most do but you will all ways get some ignorant people.On that subject while in Ypres last year i decided to get some night shots of the Menin Gate, as i walked through with my wife some teenage locals lobbed a full beer can and a fair amount of abuse at us.I think history was lost on that lot!

Nick