Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Labour Corps

Hett65

A soldier I researched was attached to the H.S Employment Company of the 556th Labour Corps, can anyone tell me what the H.S. stands for.

Thanks

John

Hello John

This would be the 556th Home Service Company, Labour Corps. Formed for service only in UK.

Ron

John

No Diaries for Home Service companies unfortunately.

556 was stationed at Prescot and as an Employment Company would have supported military bases and hospitals in the area.

Ivor

Ron, Ralph & Ivor

Thanks for the information on Home Service and location of the 556th at Prescot.

John

• 1 year later...

Just a quick question on the Employment Company near to the 556th.

Was the 557th Company based at Nelson at Cardiff? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cooper

Cooper

The official records are not as specific as your information.

They only show it as Cardiff.

Not knowing the area particularly well - do you know what was at Nelson?

Was there a military base or hospital there?

Regards

Ivor

Hi Ivor,

I noticed when reading through a London Gazette a certain Sapper Edwin John Spiller 557th Army Troops Company, Royal Engineers - Nelson Cardiff, hence the reply. Just looking into a chap whom served with the 557th Employment Company.

Many thanks for confirming the location for me, I have not found any WW1 bases etc which the company could have been employed working at. I will keep looking.

Regards,

Cooper

• 2 months later...

Hi Pals

I'm afraid this doesn't add to this particular debate but may I heartily recommend Ivor Lee's (with John Starling) superb 'No Labour, No Battle' - it's THE definitive work on the Labour Corps. Highly recommended - it's really opened my eyes on an area of the army about which I knew very little.

Ken

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to this site and have enjoyed reading all the comments. I have a private in the 483rd H.S. Employment Company in Scarborough. Thanks to the replies above, I now know what the HS stands for, but was it common for men to join these labour corps if they were medically unfit to serve abroad? The man in question was William Henry Edwards from Brandon in Suffolk. Apparently he had asthma and therefore became a batman for an Officer Lyons. His daughter was born in Clarke Street, Scarborough so I wondered if anyone knew where the base would have been that he worked at and what the 483rd did.

Thanks

Ange