Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gloucestershire Regiment 8th Bn

E M Lockwood

I just returned from France where I found my great uncle's name on the Thiepval Memorial. He was a private with the Gloucestershire REgiment 8th Bn, service No 11327, died November 18, 1916. I wondered if anyone knew where the battalion was at that time or anything about what was happening during that time period on the Somme.

Many thanks,

E M

Hi E M, welcome to the forum

Pte Arthur Mann is recorded as having being KiA on that date during the attack on Grandcourt, the following is taken from Westlake's 'Battalions on the Somme', hope this is of some help,

cheers, Jon

8th (Service) Battalion. 57th Brigade, 19th (Western) Division:

Moved forward to positions north of Albert 7.30 a.m. (1/7) and in Tara-Usna Line by 10 a.m. Attack on La Boisselle (3/7) - line running through ruins of church gained and consolidated. During action Commanding Officer Lieutenant-Colonel A. Carton de Wiart won the Victoria Cross. He had personally led the attack and after the other 3 battalion commanders of 57th Brigade had become casualties played an active role while holding positions against counter attacks. Withdrew to support line 9 a.m. (4/7) - returning to dug-outs at La Boisselle at 5 p.m. Withdrew to Albert (5/7). Casualties - 302. To bivouacs north of Millencourt (9/7), south of Fricourt (19/7), old German line close to Bazentin-le-Petit (20/7). 'A' and 'C' Companies to village (2/7). To front line (22/7). Failed attack on Switch Line (23/7) - 200 casualties including Lieutenant-Colonel A. Carton de Wiart (wounded). Withdrew to support line. To Becourt Wood (24/7) , trenches in front of Bazentin-le-Petit (29/7). Attack on Intermediate Line 6.10 p.m. (30/7) - 'A' and 'B' Companies leading held up by machine gun fire and snipers from right. Withdrew at 9.30 p.m. Casualties - 169. To bivouacs near Becourt Wood (31/7), Bresle (1/8). Entrained at Mericourt for Longpre (3/8) and from there marched to Bouchon. Entrained at Longpre for Bailleul (6/8). Entrained at Bailleul for Doullens (6/10) and from there marched to Amplier. To Bois de Warnimont (7/10), Warloy (17/ 10), brickfields on Bouzincourt-Albert Road (21/10), reserve line north of Ovillers and east of Authuille Wood (22/10), front line east of' Thiepval - H.Q. Stuff Redoubt (24/10), Ovillers Post (26/10), reserve line north of Ovillers (30/10), Stuff and Regina Trenches (2/11), reserve line (3/11), Cromwell Huts near Crucifix Corner (5/11), front line near Schwaben Redoubt (8/11), Crucifix Corner (12/11), front line (17/11). Attacked south-western outskirts of Grandcourt 6.10 a.m. (18/1) - first objective reached and carried - heavy losses among supporting waves. Casualties - 295. Withdrew to Cromwell Huts (19/11).

EM

8 Glosters were part of 57 Brigade of 19 Division of II Corps. The Battle of the Ancre from 13-19 November 1916 saw his Battalion about a mile SW of GRANDCOURT ( about 3 miles to the east of Auchonvillers). The mission of II Corps was to drive north and clear the south bank of the River Ancre,this was achieved by the 19th.

"The last attack of this great battle went in on 18 November.The assault by the II Corps 19th. 18th and 4th Canadian Divisions) and the V Corps (32nd and 37th Divisions) is a tragic tale. This was war in a man-made hell with the weather contributing everything it could to the overall misery. For the infantry involved,this attack represented the epitome of suffering. Even moving into the line was a trial beyond measure for the new Divisions,faced as they were with wastelands awash with freezing water and cloying mud" This from "The Somme" by Peter Hart.

This was a lusty battle with many casualties. The conditions were appalling and I would say contributed to the decision to call a halt to operations unitl the following Spring.I can't imagine being a soldier in that place at that time.

Sotonmate

Jon and Sotonmate - Thanks so much to you both for this excellent information. I must say the GWF is extraordinary for its wealth of information and knowledgeable participants. Bravo!

One more question Jon - in the piece you quote from Westlake's 'Battalions on the Somme', what do the numbers like (9/7) & (24/7) mean? Is it the battalion section? Sorry I'm pretty new to this.

EM

EM

The following is taken from page 118 of "Gallantry Awards To The Gloucestershire Regiment 1914-1918" by Peter Littlewood (ISBN 1902040708)

".............. For the early part of November the battalion held the line near Schwaben Redoubt and from the 13th November to the 16th November prepared to attack the western outskirts of Grandcourt. The task given to the 57th Brigade was to capture the whole of the Grabdcourt line south of the village, which involved an advance across Battery Valley. The brigade attacked at 0610 hours on the 18th November under the worst possible conditions. Sleet was falling, it was dark and the ground was still a sea of mud. On the left of the 57th Brigade the battalion successfully stormed the german trenches on a front of three hundred yards, then entered the south west of Grandcourt and captured a gun along with a number of prisoners. The following day a new position was dug from the Ancre up to battery Valley, parallel to, and about five hundred yards west of Grandcourt line to which the battalion withdrew".

I think John's reference to (1/7) etc means the date - ie 1/7 is 1st July.

Hope all this is of help.

Regards

Jimmy