Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Strange Inscriptions

firestep

A friend of mine living in France has come up with a mystery regarding the memorial located at Le Fousseret, in the Haute Garonne.

post-3500-1214612937.jpgShows the memorial as it is today.

Now the mystery. Between the surnames beginning with 'P' and 'R', there is a row of crosses. This only occurs the once over the whole memorial as shown in this image:post-3500-1214613192.jpg

Anyone got a clue why this should be?

Certainly odd :huh: I'm wondering if instead of entering 2 men's names twice..... there's 2 Justin Pechou??? Similar to a "ditto" mark?!?!

Les

Maybe just to make all the columns the same length, and they put the odd one there 'cos there was no-one beginning with Q and it would help mark the transition from P to R? Or something :unsure:

Tho' there probably weren't many with X, Y or Z either...

Adrian

Interesting point. I've often looked at French memorials and seen a similar 'filler' without a logical reason for it. It may be that it fills the columnes on a visually 'proper' level, without it being an obvious bottom line filler.

Many thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll pass them on and report back if I manage to find any other possible reasons for the inscription.

Thanks again.